🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Refund
Page options
4e0dee9b
Community Member

Refund

HI,

Please have someone from customer support reach out to me regarding a full refund, as I kept up my end of paying the full 16 weeks but the freelancer was not able to do what he said he could do. There was absolutely no progress from week 1 to week 16. The only reason I kept paying was because they told me it takes time to show results. Well, the contract is done and there are no results. There has to be something upwork can do to protect clients from scammers. I was communicating with 2 different freelancers, one was the worker, **Edited for Community Guidelines**, and the other was his boss, **Edited for Community Guidelines**

6 REPLIES 6
versailles
Community Member

Cleo C wrote:

There has to be something upwork can do to protect clients from scammers. 

They do. You had an hourly contract? They have a payment protection program for clients. In a nutshell, you can make it mandatory for freelancers to use Upwork's time trcker software that takes screen grabs of their computer. Additionally, depending on what was the job about, you can, and should, request to be sent files/work/whatever on a regular basis. This, plus the screen grabs can give you and idea about what's going on.

See, each Monday Upwork starts a review period for the previous week's work diary. Since in the case of hourly contracts you pay only for the freelancer's time and not for specific deliverables, you need to keep a close eye on their activity. You can pause or close the contract immediately at any given time if you think that the week is not going as expected. 

If after the reviewing period you didn't take any action, it means that you approved the past week's work diary and the money paid is gone.

Obviously, you do not feed them 16 weeks in a row before making sure they are working towards the completion of whatever project you hired them for. Otherwise, you would be exposed to abuse by a scammer.

If you hired a 9-5 employee to work at your office, you wouldn't leave them unsupervised for 16 weeks.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Cleo:

I'm sorry if you had a bad experience with that contract.

Trying to get any kind of refund for the work done by that freelancer would be a waste of your time, and it would undermine progress on your project.

The most important thing you can do now is to STOP WORKING with that freelancer. She is clearly an underperforming freelancer who does not bring value to your project.

There are successful strategies for working on Upwork. One thing to keep in mind: You should be able to see demonstrable progress every week, whether that is in the form of a report about what the freelancer has done, or the latest files, or new modules in a web application you can test for yourself. Stop working with freelancers who don't provide that.

You were not performing the basic tasks of a project manager. Nor was the freelancer.

For that reason, I strongly advise you to hire an independent project manager to help you get this project completed.

Preston - it's not a she - it's a he - actually, two of them (I did read the post befre it was edited)

Sanja D wrote:

Preston - it's not a she - it's a he - actually, two of them (I did read the post befre it was edited)

"She" in this case is a figure of speech. People sometimes use it instead of they as indefinite pronoun.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

$10/hour SEO just gets you spam links and I guess they didn't work.

JoanneP

Hi Cleo,

One of our team members will reach out via support ticket and assist you further. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths