🐈
» Forums » Clients » Releasing less money for an active milestone
Page options
0b38cd84
Community Member

Releasing less money for an active milestone

Hi everyone,

I've made created a fixed-price project with one milestone. This is my first job post so I wasn't aware that I can't edit them in case a freelancer cannot finish the complete needs of the milestone.

We made an agreement that I will pay him less money since he couldn't finish everything. But I cannot edit my milestone since it's the only milestone and it has the full amount for the entire project. How can I pay him less, the new amount we agreed upon?

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Whenever you release an escrow payment, you may edit the amount. You can pay more. You can pay less. You can pay nothing.

If you try to pay less than the amount in escrow, the freelancer is sent a request to approve the refund. Just talk to the freelancer beforehand, and he'll know to look for the request and approve it. Very simple.

If you have already released more money than was intended, then the freelancer can simply send you a refund. That is a freelancer-side operation. Very simple to do.

Thank you for such a quick answer!

Do I click on the "Pay Now" button (see attached image)?

After I click on it will I get the window that asks me how much I want to release?

Hi Petar,

You can release the partial amount to the freelancer, by following these steps:

1. Go to JOBS tab > My Jobs.
2. Under 'My Contracts' section, find the correct contract and click the Pay Now button.
3. Click Pay. [[ Note: Clicking the 'Pay' button will not release the funds immediately. ]]

4. A pop-up up window will appear. Click Edit (pencil) icon. 

5. Edit the amount and select an underpayment reason.
6. Click Send Payment.

Please let us know if you need further assistance. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths