🐈
» Forums » Clients » Removing a hired freelancer
Page options
sfguido
Community Member

Removing a hired freelancer

I'm a happy Upwork employer. However, I recently had a bad experience with a freelancer I invited to a job, messaged, and then hired  – and who then did nothing.

He didn't respond to any further messages or enter any time in the work diary. After three days, I "fired" him and ended the contract. I wanted to give him negative feedback, because he caused me a delay and inconvenience. However, Upwork seems unable to do anything because no work has yet been done on the contract. (Exactly!)

The real problem is that he still shows up at the list of my recent hires. Every time I see his face, I get annoyed.

How can I remove this freelancer from my Hires, and/or give him feedback so that other employers don't have a similar problem with him?

6 REPLIES 6
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Andrew, 

I haven't checked your account yet, but if you still have an open contract with this freelancer, I suggest that you close it, and leave appropriate feedback for him/her based on how your relationship, and project turned out.

Unfortunately, if it has been more than 14-days since your contract with your freelancer (in the event that it was your freelancer who closed the contract), you will be unable to leave feedback for him/her, unless the freelancer enables you to edit your feedback. The party who closes the contract will automatically be asked to leave feedback. 

~ Avery
Upwork
ilyas2010
Community Member

Leave appropriate feedback. If you have ended the contract already and 14 days have been passed, then there is nothing you can do.

The OP said that no time was ever tracked on the contract and he closed it. Since no money switched hands he cannot leave public feedback. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

As I suspected. But this does not answer my question: How do I remove this “hired” from my list of freelancers?

Here is my list of recent hires. Screenshot:

The problem is with the top one: **edited for Community Guidelines**
Me and this guy messaged about the job that I specifically Invited him to. He agreed, and I hired him through Upwork. I never heard from him. After six days, I cancelled the contract. He has never contacted me. He never turned on the Work Diary on the Contract.

How can I get rid of him from my list, so that **edited for Community Guidelines** is the top one.

The thing that matters is that you CLOSE the contract.

If you hired a freelancer and you no longer want to work with him, then you CLOSE the contract.

You end the contract.

Then the freelancer can no longer log time. There will be no more chance that you will need to pay him for anything that he does.

You may also use the Upwork messaging tool to BLOCK him. That will prevent him from communicating with you via Upwork.

Will this freelancer appear on a list of freelancers that you have hired?

Yes.

But that does not matter. That can't affect you. And it is true: You did hire him.

But nobody except for you can see that list. It doesn't really matter.

If you didn't pay him any money, there will be no record of this hiring on your public Upwork hiring history or on the freelancer's public work history.

27b4e69c
Community Member

You can try to block him in your messages, click on his name in a chat window and then press Block in appeared context window, then it must disappear from your contacts in the "......upwork.com/messages/rooms/....."
image.png

CTO/FullStack, Free Learning Systems Startup, SellSystems
Latest Articles
Learning Paths