🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Report A Freelancer
Page options
c1ec68c2
Community Member

Report A Freelancer

I hired a Freelancer in India to source me some factories for a particular product I was looking to import. Created a Contract Advertisement and hired a freelancer based on her previous reviews/work performed.

Then she presented me with 3 factories and company names.

As I always do I tried a little online research to check and validate the factories and what I found was that the cheapest quote was from a company that this freelancer is a director. I questioned her and i got quote a few lies such as "this company does not have a website", "the company is a traditional manufacture of this product from last 20 years", "I asked the factory to make me a director so that i can enhance myself as a business woman".

So what she has done is gone out and got 3 quotes from different factories and then used her own comapny as the supplier of this product at the cheapest price - with no history of ever producing or sourcing the product before.

I questioned her and called her out on it and made her come clean to which she has with alot of "im sorry", "single mother" "just trying to settle myself is not a crime" and trying to call me 4 times. SHe has refunded my money.

But I am now concerned for the community of people out their that trust Upwork and use these freelancers and how can this person be trusted?

As a newbie to Upwork the past 2 motnhs - How do I report this freelancer on the Upwork platform?

All our corresondance is on the Upwork platform and anyone with access will be able to see all the message hsitory and totally be concerend with how she has acted.

Thankyou in advance for your help.

Darren P

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Darren P wrote:

Thanks for the response Vladimir but I cannot accept that this is just normal buisness and I must move on.

Obviously Upwork are happy for this freelancer to continue to keep doing as she has done me wrong. It is not about the money - it is her complete mindset and process that is unnaceptable. She was hired to find a factory, she then supplied false information about a company that she was a director of with no experience what so ever in my product sourcing request. This was calculated and the way it was handled - this would not be the first time.

This is my fifth contract but now I have lost trust in Upwork because of this.

I do not know why but I ended the contract and left a review and now my review is not listed on her profile.

No need to respond.

I get that you are angry but how does it help your business to teach this freelancer a lesson? You did your due diligence and avoided a scam. You can't teach people with no ethical or moral compass how to be good people.   You were refunded in full now you want her to pay more?  You will never rid the world of scammers or people with questionable ethics. Take a deep breath and remember what your business is about, which I don't believe is about imparting one-sided justice to unethical freelancers, and go focus on that.  A fully refunded contract should still have a negative impact on her JSS, so it's not like there is no consequence whatsoever to her. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Darren,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this freelancer. It appears the contract issue is resolved and funds have been refunded. While I can see the issue you had with the freelancer's actions and the fact that the steps they took went against the terms agreed at the onset of the contract, note that they haven't violated Upwork TOS. You as a client do have the option to leave private feedback on that contract.

Please let us know if you'd like to receive assistance from our team dedicated to helping clients invite the right talent to their job, and hire a different freelancer to complete your project. We're here for you so please let us know if you have any questions we can help advise on or would like to receive further guidance seeing you recently joined Upwork. 

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Thanks for the response Vladimir but I cannot accept that this is just normal buisness and I must move on.

Obviously Upwork are happy for this freelancer to continue to keep doing as she has done me wrong. It is not about the money - it is her complete mindset and process that is unnaceptable. She was hired to find a factory, she then supplied false information about a company that she was a director of with no experience what so ever in my product sourcing request. This was calculated and the way it was handled - this would not be the first time.

I do not know why but I ended the contract and left a review and now my review is not listed on her profile.

No need to respond.

petra_r
Community Member

Darren P wrote:

That's because she refunded you in full. Feedback for contracts where nothing was paid don't show on any profile

Hello Petra?
Are you from United States?

Muhammad F wrote:
Hello Petra?
Are you from United States?

Why?

Darren P wrote:

No need to respond.

I get that you are angry but how does it help your business to teach this freelancer a lesson? You did your due diligence and avoided a scam. You can't teach people with no ethical or moral compass how to be good people.   You were refunded in full now you want her to pay more?  You will never rid the world of scammers or people with questionable ethics. Take a deep breath and remember what your business is about, which I don't believe is about imparting one-sided justice to unethical freelancers, and go focus on that.  A fully refunded contract should still have a negative impact on her JSS, so it's not like there is no consequence whatsoever to her. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Darren, the most important advice I can give you is to not expect every freelancer to work out.

That is normal.

I have hired over 100 freelancers on Upwork.  Most have been great. Some have not been.

But as the client, I can end a contract at any time.

As a client, it is important for me to continue working with the great freelancers, and stop working with the ones who aren't great.

If a freelancer really and truly violates Upwork TOS, then I can report them. But most of the time there is nothing to report. If a freelancer isn't a good fit for my project, then I just need to close the contract.

I am not their mentor. I don't spend time thinking about freelancers who don't work out. I have forgotten all about them within minutes. And I have already moved on to getting work done with other people.

Thanks for your response Preston but I take a different view. This freelancer will do the same thing to another innocent customer and i care about others using this platform.

The full dialogue is visable for any adminsitrator to see in my contarct and if someone was to read the messages they would clearly understand that ther eis actually wrong doing here.

As a newbie i have completed 3 contracts and 2 are still live and i love this platform but we cannot have rogues misleading clients.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths