🐈
» Forums » Clients » Report Freelancer
Page options
ee1ea385
Community Member

Report Freelancer

Hi, I need to report a freelancer. We started off on okay terms but due to life circumstances, neither of us were able to finish the project. I asked for a full refund September 2018 and I've received nothing but excuses. Can Upwork help me solve this problem?

12 REPLIES 12
tlsanders
Community Member

Probably not, if you paid that long ago. You have 30 days after your last transaction to file a dispute through Upwork. It sounds like that has long passed.

If you still have money in escrow, you can close the contract and request a refund of that money. But, anything you paid out in advance of services and then didn't challenge within the 30 days is likely out of reach.

Is there someone who can review the case? This was my first time working with a freelancer on this website. She was very convincing and told me she would pay me back. I don't know what to do. =(

If your freelancer worked, they deserve to be paid for the work they did.

If there is still money in escrow, close the contract and it will be returned.

If you are trying to get money back that you paid for work that was done in September, its too late.

No work was done. The freelancer wanted me to pay the whole contract in full before she began. I was paying the contract off about every two weeks so there is no money in escrow.

If you funded escrow before the job was done, then the money should still be there. Close the contract and the money in escrow will go back to you.

If you released escrow before the work was done that wasn't a good move.

petra_r
Community Member

Shanae H wrote:

Is there someone who can review the case? This was my first time working with a freelancer on this website. She was very convincing and told me she would pay me back. I don't know what to do. =(

How much money are we talking about?

Is that freelancer still active on the website? (Look at her profile and see if there are contracts that started recently?)

ee1ea385
Community Member

Yes, the freelancer is still active on the website. It's between $200 and $300.

re: "I don't know what to do."

What to do is let this go.

You can report this freelancer, but that's neither here nor there. You would be better off NOT trying to get the money back.

The important thing for you is to learn how to use Upwork properly so that something like this doesn't happen in the future.

Don't pay freelancers up-front money. That is what the escrow system is for.

Don't release money to freelancers until you RECEIVE and REVIEW their work.

If you are not satisfied with a freelancer's work, for any reason, then stop working with her.

Feel free to come to the Forum to ask questions.

Used properly, with an understanding of how things work, it is impossible for a client to lose any significant sum of money. There are many ways to use Upwork wisely and proactively so you don't have something like this happen to you.

If I cancel the contract does Upwork save a copy of our conversations?

petra_r
Community Member

Shanae H wrote:

Yes, but it makes little difference.

yitwail
Community Member

Shanae H wrote:

As Petra noted, the conversation will be retained. Closing the contract won't retrieve your money, but you'll be able to give the freelancer feedback, and in your verbal comments, you could state that the freelancer demanded upfront money and never performed work, so other clients will think twice about hiring this freelancer.

Thank you, everyone, for your help. I closed the contract and left a review. I'll be sure not to make this mistake again. 😃

Latest Articles
Learning Paths