Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting a freelancer?

957c0c26
Ace Contributor
N T Member Since: Jul 18, 2015
1 of 13

During the interview process, I ruled out a particular freelancer. He came back with 'work' I didn't ask for and told me I needed to pay him for it. His most recent message intimated that he's going to ask Upwork to 'supervise' this disagreement.

I know I don't owe him anything, and I don't fear any consequences from Upwork, because I know I did nothing wrong. But I'm wondering if I should report him myself for this behavior? How?

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 13

You should definitely report him. You can open a ticket by going to the ? icon and clicking on Help & Support.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 13

Hi N T,

I believe I found which interview you are referring to. It is inappropriate for a freelancer to complete work that wasn't requested and demand payment before an official contract is created. We'll have our Marketplace Quality team review the freelancer and take appropriate actions.

Thank you for reporting.

~ Valeria
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 13

N T:

You are not obligated to report this goofball.

But it is helpful to the Upwork community if you do so.

By posting here in the Forum, you have already prompted Upwork representative Valeria to initiate an investigation. For this situation, there really isn't anything else you need to do.

If it was me, I would also use the Upwork messenger tool to BLOCK this particular freelancer, to prevent him from communicating with you any more.

221e631d
Lawrence L Member Since: Dec 12, 2016
5 of 13

Hi there, 

I too was intent on hiring a free lancer, **Edited for Community Guidelines**, and he requested to have an interview on Skype. I took the advice of my friend who is a product manager and asked him several questions. First he refused to video skype. Then half way through he asked if I was Asian, which I explained yes, but I'm born in Canada and so I'm a Canadian. Then he quoted me double what my friends quoted me for the project, and quoted his rate as higher than his previous projects. He said he was a top developer and that he would work 40 hours a week, for 4 weeks on my project. He then said "I know you don't have the money", and suggested that I go to see an Indian or a Chinese developer. I told him in reply, that in fact I did have the money, and that I woudn't be doing business with him. How does a dev who's a top developer work full-time on my one project, further more a project with whom my technical friends said should take half that time. It definitely sounded shady to me. 

I was honestly intent on hiring this guy, who first reqeustd to skype then wasn't comfortable on video skyping, then refused to share his 30 iOS apps he's done, that he claimed. And when I asked for him to share them as he only shared 3 of them with me, I didn't get a reply. As you can see from the image file, he was rude, clearly racist, and wrong about me. I was positive going into this meeting and honestly shocked at the quick conclusions he drove at, and accusations about me. The conversation took 40 minutes in total, from beginning to end, and was a slow texting process i'm guessing b/c of the language barrier of English, as it took some time to get replies from him. Guess he got annoyed at the length and when straight to money and accused me of not having the money, and then being cheap. 

Is there a way to rate freelancers? I think other people should know about rude, unprofessional, stereotypical behaviors that are unfounded. I know some engineers don't have the people skills but I was shocked at this level from someone that was supposed to be a top level free lancer. Or is just racism in general can turn a person 180 degrees. I'm dumbfounded. 

This widget could not be displayed.
6 of 13
This widget could not be displayed.
You are unprofessional and should not publish the name of a freelancer here. I am not sure if this person you are talking about is really existing on the platform.
221e631d
7 of 13

I think people should know who they're dealing with. How else should people know? If you want to run a professional business don't be racist to people. Other people should know this before doing business with these types of people. Racist, unecessary, rude  ehaviour like that doesn't get soft treatment. People should know. And if he doesn't wnat people to know who he is and how he behaves, then I don't think one should be acting like that. I've just sent the entire transcript and screen shots to support as they have requested. 

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
8 of 13

Hi Lawrence,

First, and most importantly, it is against forum rules to "name and shame" freelancers and clients.  You can easily remove your screen shot, or a mod will likely do it for you.

While not at all excusing unprofessional behavior, I think I can see where this process went off the rails.  First, there are probably many of us that will not do Skype video calls.  This isn't necessarily a red flag.  Were you open to doing a voice only call and, if so, did you let the freelancer know that?

Second, the entire tone of the remainder of the interview went downhill when you asked him why his rate went up. Frankly, it's not really any of your concern (and I mean that respectfully) and his current rate is clearly posted on his profile.  When the new Upwork fees went into effect, some freelancers adjusted their rate to compensate.  How come it was fair of you to question his rate, but unfair for him to ask you how much you were willing to pay for the app?

Again, no freelancer worth their salt likes to see unprofessional behavior on the platform.  However, I think there are lessons to take away from this for both sides.

221e631d
9 of 13
Through messaging on the Upwork messaging appilcation it doesn't show his rate. I wasn't aware there was another page with his rate, as it looked like the page I was looking at had all the info. The only prices that I saw were on his past projects. I do see that if you open his profile on a separate window his rate is $50. I don't know if this was just updated or was always. So in short I didn't know what his rate was before hand as it didn't show on the window I was looking through. Hence the reason why I asked. 

I didn't ask for audio call, but he did say he'd prefer to text chat instead of skype. I don't understand how (personally) one can justify sending thousands of dollars without knowing who's on the other end. 

I don't think any intelligent individual would say how much one is willing to pay for a product if they don't know what the product work entails. You'd need to fairly assess if the scope and time involved are accurate before one puts a figure on it. To directly ask what amount you're willing to pay isn't a smart approach I would say. And this was recommended from friends in the indusry who are experienced free lancers. 

He was top candidate from my my friends, and asking him a few questions threw out racial stereotypes, and accusations. I don't think my questions should have or could have reasonably provoked that atttitude or behaviour. I think the only miscommunication was I never knew his rate to begin with as the profile window I was looking at showed $5. $5 as it was recommended by my friends in web development to not post an amount you're willing to pay. I was told from an experienced web developer of over 10 years to not post it- not to claim ignorance. So I posted $5, and he replied and we both knew the rate of $5 was just a number to get the job posted.

I can see what you've identified as miscommunication, but that unprofessional and rude behaviour was uncalled for, and went from 0 to 10 unecessarily, especially considering I was open to discussion on why I should be paying x amount of dollars. Not just I am top developer, so pay me, and don't question me. wow.

But I appreciate any feedback. At the same time I can't take an equal stance on racial stereotypes when you consider yourself a professional. 
221e631d
10 of 13
Through messaging on the Upwork messaging appilcation it doesn't show his rate. I wasn't aware there was another page with his rate, as it looked like the page I was looking at had all the info. The only prices that I saw were on his past projects. I do see that if you open his profile on a separate window his rate is $50. I don't know if this was just updated or was always. So in short I didn't know what his rate was before hand as it didn't show on the window I was looking through. Hence the reason why I asked. 

I didn't ask for audio call, but he did say he'd prefer to text chat instead of skype. I don't understand how (personally) one can justify sending thousands of dollars without knowing who's on the other end. 

I don't think any intelligent individual would say how much one is willing to pay for a product if they don't know what the product work entails. You'd need to fairly assess if the scope and time involved are accurate before one puts a figure on it. To directly ask what amount you're willing to pay isn't a smart approach I would say. And this was recommended from friends in the indusry who are experienced free lancers. 

He was top candidate from my my friends, and asking him a few questions threw out racial stereotypes, and accusations. I don't think my questions should have or could have reasonably provoked that atttitude or behaviour. I think the only miscommunication was I never knew his rate to begin with as the profile window I was looking at showed $5. $5 as it was recommended by my friends in web development to not post an amount you're willing to pay. I was told from an experienced web developer of over 10 years to not post it- not to claim ignorance. So I posted $5, and he replied and we both knew the rate of $5 was just a number to get the job posted.

I can see what you've identified as miscommunication, but that unprofessional and rude behaviour was uncalled for, and went from 0 to 10 unecessarily, especially considering I was open to discussion on why I should be paying x amount of dollars. Not just I am top developer, so pay me, and don't question me. wow.

But I appreciate any feedback. At the same time I can't take an equal stance on racial stereotypes when the guy considers himself a professional. I could rationalize him being upset. But to go so far as racial stereotyping and accusations wow. 
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS