🐈
» Forums » Clients » Reprt Freelancer
Page options
e0bca6e0
Community Member

Reprt Freelancer

Hi, I had a project which was categorically ghost writing in nature. I made sure the freelancer agreed to it being a ghost writing task, and paid adequately for it. Through out the project, as the freelancer was fairly unskilled and young I guided constantly, including telling the freelancer what/what not to include, improving  thinking process providing links to read to add to the work. task was meant to be compelted by 25th june went up till 7th june, as work had to constantly be improved. Basically spoon fed the whole project. Also gave the freelancer a good bonus for following instrcutions in the end. I get a notification that the work is being uploaded on the freelancers portfolio. I categorically explained in the contract it was a ghost writing task. I have politely messaged the freelancer, however no response. The freelancer is new to upwork and I was the first client. Kindly guide accordingly. i am very concerned. Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Andrew,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you.

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Andrew:
Just to make sure there is no confusion about this matter:

When you hire a freelancer on Upwork to do some work, then the work belongs COMPLETELY to you when you pay for it.

As described in Upwork's default contract language, the freelancer does NOT have any rights to that work, regardless of whether or not you specifically discussed this as a "ghostwriting" job.

A freelancer DOES NOT have the right to post anything in his portfolio without permission from the owner of that piece, even if the freelancer personally created the piece. You are the owner of this writing, so a freelancer only has permission to post it in his portfolio if YOU explicitly grant permission.

Preston H wrote:

You are the owner of this writing, so a freelancer only has permission to post it in his portfolio if YOU explicitly grant permission.

This is not correct.

Andrew was notified that the freelancer was requesting approval to include the portfolio item. If Andrew objects to this, the portfolio item won't be added. BUT if the client does not object within a few (3?) days, the item is added.

Andrew can. however, request for it to be removed at any time.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths