🐈
» Forums » Clients » Request a refund not possible
Page options
7547d257
Community Member

Request a refund not possible

Im not happy with the results, and didnt want to pay more to finish it.

I cant request a refund, but i can see the $ amount @My Contracts.

Am i obligated to pay? I dont want to pay and the freelancer told me it isnt possible to refund

9 REPLIES 9
NikolaS

Hi there, 

Please know that the Upwork Hourly Protection allows you to dispute an agency or freelancer’s hours if you feel that you have been billed for more time than they worked on your project. You can find more information on how to file a dispute in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork
7547d257
Community Member

Thanks for your article but is not clear for me. The contract is closed already. The automatically payment via paypal is not withdrawn yet. What can i do to NOT pay this because im not happy with it but the contract is closed already

Hi B B,

I checked and it looks like your contract started and ended this week. Hourly Contracts are billed based on the Weekly Billing Cycle, this means you'll be invoiced for the hours your freelancer worked this week, on Monday. You won't be able to request a refund or file a dispute until then because your payment method hasn't been charged yet.

You may want to discuss this with your freelancer as they still have the ability to remove their hours from the Work Diary until Monday at noon UTC. So they could "give you a refund" by not charging you in the first place.

Hope this information is helpful and please let us know if you need any further assistance,

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Andrea G wrote

I checked and it looks like your contract started and ended this week. 

You may want to discuss this with your freelancer as they still have the ability to remove their hours from the Work Diary until Monday at noon UTC.

How? The OP said the contract is already closed? You confirmed that the contract ended? Freelancers have no access to the work diary after a contract has been closed.

Andrea G wrote:

So they could "give you a refund" by not charging you in the first place.

Nope. They can do no such thing.

re: "The contract is closed already."

When a contract is closed, it is really Upwork's intention that you consider the matter closed.

There are still limited options for getting a refund. These are described in the Help documents on this subject.

re: "What can I do to NOT pay this because I'm not happy with it but the contract is closed already."

You may ASK the freelancer to send you a voluntary refund. But you should keep in mind that you have more leverage BEFORE a contract is closed.

If this is an hourly contract, then after a week is over (Sunday at Midnight UTC) you have until Friday of the following week to dispute hourly payments. If the freelancer used manual time, or if the freelancer did NOT record meaningful memos, or if the keyboard/mouse activity was too low, or if the screenshots show that the freelancer was not working on your project, then these are all valid reasons for disputing hourly time. If you dispute time segments which don't qualify for Upwork Payment Protection, the Upwork will automatically decide in your favor. Saying that you are "not happy" with the work is not one of the criteria accepted for overturning hourly pay.

To help us answer your question, and to provide contect, please tell us:

How much money is involved?

How much money will you have paid this freelancer in total if you don't get a refund?

Thank you for all your responses, you have a great community on upwork. That being said i cant reach any type of customer services but it dont feel right to discuss about the amount, i felt forced to pay, a day later i red the terms and conditions and saw there is a refund possible but very very hard to understand, i cant delete my paypal but i am gonna reject this small amount of money of $22 because i dont feel good about the negociations, the promised deal what isnt accomplished or the logo
The freelancer ignores me about the refund
prestonhunter
Community Member

B B:

You ALWAYS have the option to end a contract.

You are NEVER obligated to continue paying a freelancer.

All you need to do is close the contract. Or "end" the contract.

This prevents any more billing.

It is not really Upwork's intention that you get a "refund" for money you ALREADY paid, or for hours that a freelancer ALREADY logged. But there are some circumstances where that is possible. The Forum Moderator already shared information with you, but feel free to ask questions if you have any.

re: "That being said i cant reach any type of customer services"

It is not necessary to contact Customer Support in order to resolve this matter. You have all the tools necessary available to you within the client-side interface. If you have questions, you may ask them here and we will will answer those questions.

re: "it doesn't feel right to discuss about the amount, i felt forced to pay"

It is fine to discuss the amount, which in your situation is $22.

re: "a day later I read the terms and conditions and saw there is a refund possible but very very hard to understand"

If there is thing you don't understand, just ask.

re: "i cant delete my paypal but i am gonna reject this small amount of money of $22 because i dont feel good about the negociations, the promised deal what isnt accomplished or the logo. The freelancer ignores me about the refund"

The freelancer should not have been asked to provide a refund.

If you do not want to use the logo that the freelancer provided, you are not obligated to do so.

The best thing for you to do is to stop working with this particular freelancer, whose work product disappointed you. But you should not spend further time trying to discuss the project with that freelancer or negotiate with him.

It is not Upwork's intention that you try to obtain a refund for this project. Your time and effort would be better spent creating the logo yourself or hiring other freelancers to do the work.

As a practical matter, it may not be possible to obtain the results you require by hiring a single freelancer for a $22 contract. Sometimes, especially when dealing with particularly low-cost freelancers, it takes more than one to find the results we are looking for. When it comes to creative endeavors such as logos, we may need to get multiple submissions and choose what we like best. Or hire freelancers using hourly contracts so that we can work through multiple versions and iterations with the same freelancer.

92885fb2
Community Member

Yes. the refund here doesn't work. I have got scammed on $1600 with garbage work. Also keep in mind, if the contractor is "Top Rated" even your negative review gets deleted :). You welcome!

Latest Articles
Learning Paths