🐈
» Forums » Clients » Requesting a refund from a freelancer
Page options
e2e384cb
Community Member

Requesting a refund from a freelancer

Hi there, 

My buisness partner and I instructed a freelancer (webdeveloper) on an hourly contract via UpWork. After 2 weeks of working with the freelancer, it became transparent that the freelancer did not have the request skills and experience that she claimed as she was unable to act professionally and complete the work required. We invested a huge amount of time in trying to engage with her and recongnised that there was no point continuing due to her behaviour and inadequate skill set. Despite being highly unprofessional and rude, she agreed at the end to refund us. We sent a refund request to her and when we did this, she terminated the contract. We do not know if she has fulfiled any steps on her side in order to give us the refund. We have checked "reports" > "transactions" and can see no record of being refunded. We note from the information on UpWork's website that if a refund is accepted, the funds should automatically be credited back to our account. However, we cannot see any evidence of this in our bank statement or on the "transactions". We would be very grateful for a response from someone in how to proceed/ 

1. Would we be notified when a freelancer accepts to refund us? 
2. What can we do in this situation? 

I would be very grateful for some help on this matter. 

Best wishes,
Puja 

3 REPLIES 3
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Puja,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had with your freelancer.

1. Yes you will receive a notification once the freelancer has taken any actions.

2. Upwork Hourly Protection allows you to dispute an agency or freelancer’s hours. The review period starts on Monday and will last until Friday. To learn more about this check out this Help Article

Our team will also reach out to you via ticket to assist you further with this. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

Thanks so much for your message. The freelancer has simply and rudely (as like her last communication to us) closed the contract. We have recieved no notification that she has taken action to refund us. 

We are disputing the quality of her work and not the hours (although the hours billed are certainly excessive). In light of this I understand that we would need to go through the mediation route. I would be very grateful if someone in the tema could reach out to me to discuss this situation. This is my first encounter of using UpWork and I hve had a terrible experience with this freelancer concerned. I would be very grateful for assitance and help in obtaining a refund from this freelancer. I have it in writing that she has agreed to do so. 

All the best,

Puja 

Thank you for the follow up, Puja,

Rest assured our team will reach out to you as soon as possible and will assist you further directly via ticket. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths