cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by upwork freelancer

cfe1dda7
Jade D Member Since: Nov 23, 2020
11 of 15

so sorry im a bit confused by this thread . 

can somebody confirm if i havbe legal rights with regards to a freelancer taking money from me , yet not completing half of the work? 

or is it not really worth it?

Thanks

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 15

re: "...with regards to a freelancer taking money from me, yet not completing half of the work?"

On Upwork, the most important right a client has is the right to end a contract at any time.

This right to end a contract with a freelancer far exceeds the rights that employers have in general. If you are familiar with traditional employment, you know there are many rules and restrictions when it comes to firing. But on Upwork, your right as a client to be able to fire a freelancer is absolute and unrestricted.

If you hire a freelancer using an hourly contract to do "Task X", which involves writing 100 product descriptions... and then the freelancer only writes 50 product descriptions and stops working... Then you can close the contract on that freelancer and hire another freelancer to finish the job.

If you hire a freelaner using a fixed-price contract to write 100 product descriptions, and then the freelancer only writes 50 product descriptions, then one thing you COULD do is to simply not release the payment to her. Or you could EDIT the amount of money to release. Instead of the agreed-upon $200, you could edit the amount to be only $100. (Half the original agreed-upon payment.) Then when you close the contract, this will automatically present a button to the freelancer to accept the reduced payment. If the freelancer does nothing, then half the money will automatically be returned to the client. If the freelancer clicks the button to accept, then half the money will automatically be returned to the client. Any honorable Upwork freelancer will immediately agree to such a reasonable request. If she only did half the work, she will agree to refund half of the expected payment. But if she doesn't agree, it doesn't mean she gets the money. A "dispute" is created, which means Upwork will mediate between client and freelancer to come to a resolution. And if the dispute process doesn't resolve the matter, the next step is arbitration.

re: "or is it not really worth it?"

I noticed that this is the first post you have made in the Upwork Community Forum.

Welcome to the Forum, and welcome to Upwork.

Are you asking if it is worth it to use Upwork?

As a client I have hired over 100 different freelancers on Upwork.

I have spent thousands of dollars here - far more than some people who have hired only once - and far less than some clients who have spent hundreds of thousands or millions.

If I have spent my own money to hire here over 100 times... then obviously I think that it is worth it.

I hire freelancers here because doing so helps me and provides me with great value.

Is it possible to hire a freelancer on Upwork and not have a great experience?
That's an interesting question. Let me ask you this:
It it possible to go to a movie and not like it?
Is it possible to go to a restaurant and be disappointed?
Is it possible to buy something from an online store and find that it isn't everything you hoped it would be?

The answer is yes.

I don't expect every freelancer I hire to work out. The majority of the time - about 90% of the time - I have been very pleased. That is MY OWN experience. Other clients have had different experiences.

I can tell you that when you hire a freelancer using an hourly contract, you can end the contract AT ANY TIME, for ANY REASON. You don't even need to provide a reason.

So if you hire a freelancer, and you don't like their work, you can just close the contract whenever you want. (That means you can "fire" them whenever you want.)

cfe1dda7
Jade D Member Since: Nov 23, 2020
13 of 15
Wow ,

Great reply . Thanks for your time and sharing your experience .

I agree . Your right so thank you .

7bd0d548
Community Leader
Ilham B Member Since: Jul 26, 2016
14 of 15

if no work given at all, it is considered as stealing,

-> yes

but if they give works, then not good quality,

-> no

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 15

re: "if no work given at all, it is considered as stealing,

-> yes"

Well... As a client, if I hire a freelancer who does no work, then I pay zero money.

As a client, I am experienced enough to expect some freelancers to do zero work.

I use this knowledge to my advantage.
For example, if I have a task for which there is an importand deadline, I can hire multiple freelancers. This way I hedge my bets and ensure that I get the work that I need. Because I am using an hourly contract, there is no money tied up in escrow. I can easly close a contract on any freelancers who haven't done any work.

So if there is any concern about a freelancer "stealing" because she might do no work, this is a simple thing for a client to avoid.

re: "but if they give works, then not good quality"

With an hourly contract, I can closely monitor the work as it is submitted. If I see that any freelancer's work is low in quality, I can close the contract immediately. There is nothing that the freelancer can do to prevent me from doing so.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS