🐈
» Forums » Clients » Rude Behaviour of Freelancer
Page options
61b8df45
Community Member

Rude Behaviour of Freelancer

If a freelancer is being rude/obnoxious/unprofessional/belittling etc. in their communication, what kind of policies Upwork has in place to deal with this? As per Upwork's review, if the freelancer was, in fact, found to be rude, is there any punishments or penalizations that would be applied to him/her? Would this be fair grounds to cancel the whole or part of the contract, or otherwise claim any damages for the freelancer's behaviour?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "What if the freelancer was not rude or not to blame in any way at all?"

So what?

The client can still fire the freelancer.

And there is nothing that the freelancer can do about it.

Because the client has not violated any Upwork rules.

re: "Wouldn't the freelancer report me if I got the work done and fired them before payment?"

What are you talking about?

You still have to pay the freelancer.

Firing a freelancer does not mean that you don't pay a freelancer.

Firing a freelancer means that you stop paying a freelancer.

If you hired a freelancer and the freelancer logged 5 hours of work, and then you fire the freelancer, you will still be charged for the 5 hours of work that the freelancer did.

Firing the freelancer doesn't prevent you from being charged for that time. But it means that the freelancer can't log time for a 6th hour of work.

Firing the freelancer BLOCKS the freelancer from logging more time and getting paid more.

If a client has hired a freelancer using a fixed-price contract, then the client can fire a freelancer at ANY TIME. And there is nothing that the freelancer can do about it. All the client needs to do is release any remaining money in escrow and close the contract. The freelancer can't stop that. It doesn't matter how many milestones were discussed or how big the project was planned to be. If the client releases all escrow money and closes the contract, then the matter is over. The freelancer can't appeal. The client has not broken any Upwork rules. It's over. Those are the rules.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
prestonhunter
Community Member

You understand that YOU are the client, right?

You can fire a freelancer at any time. For any reason. Or for no reason at all.

If a freelancer uses the word "puppy", you can fire him for not using the phrase "young dog."

You do NOT NEED Upwork's permission to fire a freelancer.

You do NOT NEED Upwork's permission to close a contract.

One client named "Peter" hired a freelancer who cursed like a sailor. This freelancer was very rude! But the freelancer's work increased sales on the client's website by 45%!

So the client just ignored the freelancer's rude behavior and enjoyed the money.

Another client named "Janet" hired a freelancer who did GREAT WORK. But when the freelancer met with Janet during Zoom meetings, the freelancer wore a baseball cap. This was RUDE! So Janet fired the freelancer.

What YOU do is up to YOU.

Preston, thank you very much for the answer. It was quick and succint.

But my question is, isn't it unfair on the part of the client to fire a freelancer like that for no reason at all? What if the freelancer was not rude or not to blame in any way at all? Wouldn't the freelancer report me if I got the work done and fired them before payment? Doesn't Upwork have policies to protect the freelancer in such situations? If not, it becomes so one-sided.

re: "But my question is, isn't it unfair on the part of the client to fire a freelancer like that for no reason at all?"

It does not matter if it is unfair.

That is the rule.

Upwork's rule is that a client may fire a freelancer for no reason at all.

There is no review.

There is no permission.

If you want to fire a freelancer, you can fire a freelancer.

Without reason.

Without notice.

That is the rule.

If you don't think this is appropriate, then you need to use the Community Forum to advocate for change. You need to convince peoplel that Upwork should require clients to have a valid reason for firing a freelancer.

But as the system exists right now, clients DO NOT NEED a reason.

Clients can simply fire a freelancer because they feel like it.

re: "What if the freelancer was not rude or not to blame in any way at all?"

So what?

The client can still fire the freelancer.

And there is nothing that the freelancer can do about it.

Because the client has not violated any Upwork rules.

re: "Wouldn't the freelancer report me if I got the work done and fired them before payment?"

What are you talking about?

You still have to pay the freelancer.

Firing a freelancer does not mean that you don't pay a freelancer.

Firing a freelancer means that you stop paying a freelancer.

If you hired a freelancer and the freelancer logged 5 hours of work, and then you fire the freelancer, you will still be charged for the 5 hours of work that the freelancer did.

Firing the freelancer doesn't prevent you from being charged for that time. But it means that the freelancer can't log time for a 6th hour of work.

Firing the freelancer BLOCKS the freelancer from logging more time and getting paid more.

If a client has hired a freelancer using a fixed-price contract, then the client can fire a freelancer at ANY TIME. And there is nothing that the freelancer can do about it. All the client needs to do is release any remaining money in escrow and close the contract. The freelancer can't stop that. It doesn't matter how many milestones were discussed or how big the project was planned to be. If the client releases all escrow money and closes the contract, then the matter is over. The freelancer can't appeal. The client has not broken any Upwork rules. It's over. Those are the rules.

Bharath R wrote:

Preston, thank you very much for the answer. It was quick and succint.

But my question is, isn't it unfair on the part of the client to fire a freelancer like that for no reason at all? What if the freelancer was not rude or not to blame in any way at all? Wouldn't the freelancer report me if I got the work done and fired them before payment? Doesn't Upwork have policies to protect the freelancer in such situations? If not, it becomes so one-sided.

If you determine that you do not like working with a freelancer because of their behavior, no it is not "unfair" to fire them. No one is entitled to a job. A lot of things come down to fit. Even if he were not rude, maybe his communication style just doesn't jive with you? It's fine to end the contract. You still have to pay them for work done to-date, or negotiate with them partial payment, but you certainly can end the contract and discontinue working with them at any time. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Would this be fair grounds to cancel the whole or part of the contract, or otherwise claim any damages for the freelancer's behaviour?"

Um...

No.

You can't "claim damages."

But you CAN cancel or close a contract at ANY TIME.

====================================

Question: I paid a freelancer $200 to do work for me. They did good work. But then they said something rude. Can I get my money back?

Answer: No.

But if you want to, you may click on the gear icon next to any incoming communication within the Upwork Messages tool and report it.

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 9.32.24 AM.png

Thank you very much. I have noted your previous replies and this one also. So, even if the freelancer was rude, but has finished the work, it does not entitle me to claim damages. Got it.

I can still leave them a negative review, I guess.

Bharath R wrote:

I can still leave them a negative review, I guess.

Yes, you can. I would be fair and honest with the review as well. If the work itself was fine, I might mark quality high, but communication skills low (for the rude behaviors you mentioned). 

Yes, good idea. Will take it.

fkupwork
Community Member

I find asking these questions unprofessional. 

UpWork is the world's work marketplace. 

UpWork's mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Startups and Businesses of all sizes meet independent talents on UpWork.

I see job posts where the client looks for Intermediate Level freelancers at $10 or less and Expert Level freelancers at $20 or less. I find that rude.

But what do I do?

I realize that these clients don't know what they are talking about and need to be educated about the platform. Most often they don't have a business and want to try ideas and learn from the freelancers that apply. I realize that while posting the job they didn't notice how much Intermediate or Expert level jobs costs. I try and will keep trying to educate the demographic that needs it the most. 

Sahan (Unofficial Nickname)

I S M H wrote:

I find asking these questions unprofessional. 

I find it quite professional and respectable for a client to ask how to go about dealing with a freelancer who is rude to them, and also asking what is the "fair" thing to do. Most people don't give a crap about being fair to others, just themselves. This client is asking for what will be the fair thing to do, despite dealing with a rude freelancer. I wish more clients would care about what is fair. 

Wow! Thanks, Amanda. Appreciate it.

Amanda L wrote:

This client is asking for what will be the fair thing to do, despite dealing with a rude freelancer. 

I don't know about this particular case. How did you come to know the freelancer in this case is rude? 

I S M H wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

This client is asking for what will be the fair thing to do, despite dealing with a rude freelancer. 

I don't know about this particular case. How did you come to know the freelancer in this case is rude? 

The OP, who is the client, posted asking what to do if he doesn't like working with the freelancer because they are rude. It's nothing for Upwork to weigh in on. It's entirely subjective to a client if they don't like the communication style of the freelancer. The OP does not like how the freelancer is behaving and wanted to know what would be the fair action he could take because he does not want to work with this freelancer anymore. It's far more than many clients even consider. 

Thank you. These conversations are helping me to learn better how one should navigate around UpWork.

petra_r
Community Member

I S M H wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

I don't know about this particular case

Then why did you write that you find THIS kind of question unprofessional?

I S M H wrote: How did you come to know the freelancer in this case is rude? 

Have you actually read the thread?

Latest Articles
Learning Paths