cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM FREELANCERS

Alda G Member Since: Feb 6, 2017
1 of 22

How to know if a freelancer is fake?

I have posted a job for mobile developemnt, app development and many freelancers have sent me offers.

Some of them are rising talent but havent completed any jobs or hours on upwork...

How can i know they will deliver and not only take my money.

Joyeta B Member Since: Feb 19, 2016
2 of 22

Until a freelancer delivers the work, they didn't get the payments. You need to satisfied with the work quality and then you can release the money.  

All these work submitting processes always protected by Upwork Payment Protection.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 22

Hourly jobs are a bit more complicated. Once the week ends on Sunday, clients have 5 days to review the work, and if work isn't satisfactory, they have to dispute the hours or else the freelancer will get paid. 

4 of 22

Hi John,

Just to follow up on your comment and clarify that clients are advised to review the Work Diary from the onset of the contract, and communicate with their freelancers in order to ensure the job is done to their satisfaction and agreed terms.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 22

Hi Alda,

Thanks for sharing your concern in the Community. As a new client, I would strongly advise you to review the resources we shared here. The information offered in the resources will help you evaluate and shortlist the freelancers who applied for your job, find and invite qualified freelancers, and guide you to hire the best talent for your job. Upwork does offer Payment Protection programs and advice on how to safely use the platform, but if you're still unsure on how to proceed feel free to contact Customer Support and our dedicated team will assist you with posting your job, reviewing candidates and using the platform.

Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
6 of 22

Communicate on a regular basis!!! Ask questions, let the freelancer give you answers to the questions that really matter to you. You'll soon find out whether the person at the other end is a serious prospect/provider or not. Professional contractors will know how to discuss a project with you and make sure they genuinely address your queries (not just your ego).

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 22

re: "How to know if a freelancer is fake?"

You can confirm that their photo shows what they really look like by asking them to do a video chat with you for an interview.

Other than that, there is no good way to know if the freelancer is fake or not.

Community Guru
8 of 22

re: "How can i know they will deliver and not only take my money."

There is no way of knowing beforehand if a freelancer will perform as advertised.

That is why you need to hire multiple freelancers. Around 5 is a good number for a project like this. Monitor their early work closely. Have your project manager review it. Do not pay any money up front. After 2 to 4 hours of work from each freelancer, you will have a better idea about which ones will deliver real work and which ones will not.

Continue working only with the freelancers who do good work and provide good value for your project. This is how wise clients save money and avoid wasting time with fakes.

Community Guru
9 of 22

No matter how or who you hire, it is important that you don't pay up front and that you don't wait until the project is done.

You need to see have the work delivered to you on a regular basis, not when the project is finished. Every day, work files should be delivered to you. Your project manager should test and review work. You should personally test and review the work on a regular basis. At least weekly.

If a freelancer only tells you about they work they are doing but doesn't deliver it to you, then don't work with them.

Maciej R Member Since: Feb 10, 2017
10 of 22

Hello Alda,

I'm a designer myself and what I would suggest is to do some research on the people you are interested in working with. You can check if they own a portfolio outside of Upwork to check if details or the work they present here matches the one on their website. You can also check their details on social media like twitter, facebook or linkedin, freelancers usually own them and details about them can be found there. You can also refuse to pay if you think that the work is not to the agreed standard.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS