cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe Way to Work with a Freelancer

4761bdba
Jennifer J Member Since: Sep 9, 2016
1 of 6

Is there a safe way to hire a freelancer to do website work. If I provide them a backup of my site that they use on their own server in beta mode until the site is ready to put live, will it compromise my security?  I found someone who can do work for me at a rate I can afford who seems very proficient and has a good rating however they are in Pakistan and I am in the US and I am leary about giving up my information / 12 years of work to site to a stranger in another country. (it could be a nightmare for me). How can I do this so that I will be safe?

gbalint
Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
2 of 6

In 12 years you would've learnt that any web project has a Production evironment and a Development one. It's not the developer's responsability to pay for a VPS so that a Dev environment exists.

The Development server would be under your control so that you can limit the information shared and the security keys will be different.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 6
I sure hope there is no pii on that server. This is why I just buy everything at Amazon or use PayPal.
khurram4m
Community Guru
Khurram J Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
4 of 6

it may or may not compromise your security it depends what kind of info your site contains

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 6

I always host development environments on my own servers, which I give project owners full access to. I don't require access to the live systems or real customer data in order to do development work.

There are very safe ways to work with developers.

I do not solicit work through the Forum so I would not be available to work on your project, but there are many high-level developers who use similar safe practices. And you should feel free to ask other questions about this topic here in the Forum.

gerrys
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
6 of 6

The "country" has nothing to do with who or who is not trustworthy ... you can get scammed by a neighbour.

"Proprietary" routines (like the "Coke recipe") should always be safegarded.

Depending on the work you need (simple web pages versus payment gateways, etc), run a "file compare" on the files afterwards to see "what's new". It should be (somewhat) obvious if new / strange code shows up.

WINDIFF works well for me; highlighting any differences / changes in source code.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS