cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safety of overseas bookkeepers

8bc76287
Active

I want to try an overseas bookkeeper, but I'm nervous about the safety of them having bank and credit card numbers/etc.  We use Xero.  Any input/advice appreciated.  Thanks.  

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

@Sandy B wrote:

I want to try an overseas bookkeeper, but I'm nervous about the safety of them having bank and credit card numbers/etc.  We use Xero.  Any input/advice appreciated.  Thanks.  

If you are nervous about it, you should not do it. My bookkeeping is done by a qualified person in my country who knows the relevant laws and is oblieged to obey them.  

colettelewis
Community Guru

Luck of the draw, whether "overseas" (which sea?) or not.

I wouldn't give my bookkeeping to anyone whom I could not physically visit. As to "overseas" (I live in France). I would not "entrust" my bookkeeping to someone in the US any more than I would "entrust" it to someone in New Zealand - simply because they would be unlikely to understand the French system.

mandylula
Community Guru

@Sandy B wrote:

Hi Sandy,

As a South African based bookkeeper, I find your question very interesting.  One thing I am often amazed by is the ease with which most clients allow me access to their computers via TeamViewer.  You use an on-line system, so this would not be an issue in your case, but when clients have a Mac computer or use other software it is sometimes the only way I can access their record keeping.

Out of sheer interest, why do you feel your bank details are any less vulnerable with a US based bookkeeper?

lysis10
Community Guru

lol no way I would do this. No way. Not my bank and financial info. That's the type of stuff that doesn't just go away if you make a mistake. Stick to a real accountant. Some things it's not worth going cheap at all even just to test the system.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS