🐈
» Forums » Clients » Scammed and Extorted: Think twice about hirin...
Page options
saiyela
Community Member

Scammed and Extorted: Think twice about hiring a freelancer to build an app on Upwork

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

My husband and his company was scammed, defrauded, hacked and extorted by a freelancer named **Edited for Community Guidelines**  on Upwork, and Upwork is protecting the freelancer and forcing my husband to payout the remaining balance of the contract. We submitted proof of the scam, and Upwork agreed and informed us that they took action against the freelancer, but Upwork is still not forcing the freelancer to return the more than $3,200 that was paid to the freelancer during the course of the scam, and in fact, Upwork is demanding and punishing my husband for not paying the freelancer an additional $800 that remained on the contract. To be clear, my husband never received the app that the freelancer claimed that he was developing for the past 8 months, and he is completely out of his $3,200. When my husband tried to leave negative feedback for the freelancer to warn other consumers of the scam, Upwork allowed the freelancer to remove the comment because he was considered a "Top Rated" developer. To earn the "Top Rated" label, the freelancer made his delivery of the final product contingent on his clients: (1) leaving him positive feedback and a 5 star rating (which is a manipulation and violation of Upwork's policies), and (2) clients were forced to give the freelancer an additional contract so that he could continue the scam. If the client refused to leave positive feedback and give him another contract, the freelancer created a back door in their apps so that he would be able to disable the apps at anytime after the final payment was made. When my husband left **Edited for Community Guidelines** negative feedback after making a final payment, the freelancer: (1) disabled his apps after lying and stating that all of the codes were on my husband's server, (2) tried to hack our merchant accounts with our customers' banking and credit card information (PayPal sent over a list of logins and attempts by someone in India, **Edited for Community Guidelines**  IP home address, just moments after the negative feedback was given), and (3) he disabled our website and took it down from GoDaddy and AWS. 

Thanks to PayPal, GoDaddy, and screenshots we were able to prove that the freelancer did commit extortion, fraud, and hacking, and we were able to get our financial institution to stop the final payment to the freelancer. However, Upwork has disabled my husband's account and is forcing him to still pay the freelancer, even though they agreeed that fraud was committed and have taken action against the frelancer. Upwork was notified immediately of the fraud and they seem to have still paid the freelancer, even though he is scamming customers on this platform. This freelancer is still accepting contracts and Upwork has not contacted any of the freelancer's previous and current customers to see if they have had similar experiences.**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thank you

33 REPLIES 33
petra_r
Community Member

@Stephanie S wrote:

You will find this thread very interesting

Did you not go to arbitration? Upwork would not have forced your husband to pay the freelancer, they offered the option to go to arbitration for a binding decision...

saiyela
Community Member

We are in the process of attempting to go arbitration now. Upwork is telling us that we have to pay the freelancer $800 before we can go to arbitration. We expect that once we pay the $800 (meaning the freelancer will have received $4,000 total from us) he wont agree to abritration. (Why would he when he could potentially lose everything and can gain nothing by going?). We are trying to get Upwork to agree to leave the $800 in escrow pending the outcome of arbitration, but they will not agree to this. They say that once we pay the $800 PLUS the $291 for arbitration, we will only get back $291 if the freelancer doesnt agree to go to arbitration.

petra_r
Community Member

@Stephanie S wrote:

We are in the process of attempting to go arbitration now. Upwork is telling us that we have to pay the freelancer $800 before we can go to arbitration. We expect that once we pay the $800 (meaning the freelancer will have received $4,000 total from us) he wont agree to abritration. (Why would he when he could potentially lose everything and can gain nothing by going?). We are trying to get Upwork to agree to leave the $800 in escrow pending the outcome of arbitration, but they will not agree to this. They say that once we pay the $800 PLUS the $291 for arbitration, we will only get back $291 if the freelancer doesnt agree to go to arbitration.

Something is not right with the above. If the $ 800 was IN ESCROW that would be OK. The freelancer claims that there is NOTHING in Escrow. The feedback that was left for the freelancers declares that the Escrow funds were released.

Also, if you did a chargeback then you broke Upwork terms of service and all bets are OFF.

I can still see the feedback that was left by your husband (it is only masked, not "gone") and it sounds like you DID release the funds that were in Escrow and have since filed a chargeback?

yitwail
Community Member

@Petra R wrote:

Also, if you did a chargeback then you broke Upwork terms of service and all bets are OFF.

I can still see the feedback that was left by your husband (it is only masked, not "gone") and it sounds like you DID release the funds that were in Escrow and have since filed a chargeback?

Petra, she did write that "we were able to get our financial institution to stop the final payment to the freelancer" so sounds like there *was* a chargeback, but I hope you're wrong about all bets being OFF because it would be an injustice if the freelancer gets off scot-free. 

@John K wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

Petra, she did write that "we were able to get our financial institution to stop the final payment to the freelancer" so sounds like there *was* a chargeback, but I hope you're wrong about all bets being OFF because it would be an injustice if the freelancer gets off scot-free. 

The freelancer won't get off scot-free but yes, chargeback will, to my best knowledge, prevent arbitration to go ahead as the chargeback is a terms of service violation, the client's account will have been suspended and it is actually Upwork that's out that money, not the freelancer will have since withdrawn all funds.

Those $ 800 are owed to Upwork, not to the freelancer because Upwork paid the freelancer when the Escrow funds have been released.

bobafett999
Community Member

OH boy the **Edited for Community Guidelines** saga continues...........

But if you read his thread a bit different picture is painted.

If you are telling the truth you have my sympathy.  On the other hand the job involved had a very low price tag for a very ambitious work.

@Prashant P wrote:

OH boy the ****** saga continues...........

Exactly what I thought...

Wow. That guy had me feeling bad for him. What a piece of work.

I know there are two sides to every story, but seeing this has me concerned that someone could lie so effortlessly.

We have clients threatening to throw acid at freelancers and freelancers conning thousands from clients. What a week.

@Melissa C wrote:

We have clients threatening to throw acid at freelancers and freelancers conning thousands from clients. What a week.

Yup, this forum makes life interesting.  Wife unit is bugging me to get a cable TV - (I have reasons- money is not one of them).  I tell her stories from this board and entertain her.

What do you mean by the "**Edited for Community Guidelines** "

@Stephanie S wrote:

What do you mean by the "**Edited for Community Guidelines** "

Read the link Petra posted.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Prashant P wrote:

OH boy the **Edited for Community Guidelines** saga continues...........

But if you read his thread a bit different picture is painted.

If you are telling the truth you have my sympathy.  On the other hand the job involved had a very low price tag for a very ambitious work.

Prashant,

$4k was indeed a low price tag, but the FL's overview claims "Experienced in building app’s similar to Platforms like Uber, Uber for X", so FL either misrepresented himself, or never intended to deliver the promised product.

@John K wrote:

Prashant,

$4k was indeed a low price tag, but the FL's overview claims "Experienced in building app’s similar to Platforms like Uber, Uber for X", so FL either misrepresented himself, or never intended to deliver the promised product.

John:  There is no doubt that on the platform there are many low skill freelancers who brag about their expertise at very low price wih every intention of not delivering the product or scamming outright.

On the other hand buyers also really have a misconception  that for few thousand bucks they can have an app or website functionality 'like that APP or that site".  People really have come to believe and expect that ,"Hey Paypal looks so easy.  I have an idea.  How about I develop an APP exchanging cyptocurrency and if I go to Upwork I will find someone to do that for peanuts".  Once developed I would start raking in the money.  This particular job might fall in that category.  It was,"Intracity bus aggregator app-shuttl, ola, cityflo"

I am from India and we have a saying,"Scammers will not starve when greedy people go bargain hunting"....(the english word "greedy" does not accurately reflect the nuance of the native word).

I am confused.  Now the other side is emerging, but both sides might be hiding the 'real truth' and are putting forward the arguements that best serve them.

The point I am trying to make is buyers should be prepared to take the loss and walk away that their gamble on Upwork did not payoff.  If i like buying and trading 'Pink Sheet' stocks, I should be ready to lose everything.  I should not fault the exchange that listed the stock.

Prashant, you were spot on with your earlier comment about the entertainment value of the forum. This particular incident is the online freelancing equivalent of *Rashomon*. If you haven't, you should take a look at OP's profile.

Stephanie,

I see that your husband has an open ticket with our Customer Support team and they have recently updated it with additional clarifications. Unfortunately, we won't be able to discuss the details of this case here due to Community Guidelines and encourage your husband to communicate with the team directly to resolve this issue.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valerie,

Why is this *** Self-edited for decency guideines *** freelancer still on Upwork?

-----------

Rene and John,

We won't be able to discuss the status of the freelancer's account as well as other private details of this case here in the Community. All the details have already been shared with the parties via support tickets and the case is being handled by the appropriate team.

Thank you for your understanding.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Valeria K wrote:

Stephanie,

I see that your husband has an open ticket with our Customer Support team and they have recently updated it with additional clarifications. Unfortunately, we won't be able to discuss the details of this case here due to Community Guidelines and encourage your husband to communicate with the team directly to resolve this issue.

Thank you.

Stephanie, you or your husband can also send a Private Message to Valeria, where she probably *would* be able to discuss case details, or even if she can't, you should try asking her if you paid the $291 arbitration fee and the freelancer doesn't, then will you recover the money you paid the freelancer in addition to the $291 arbitration fee, and if you don't get any money back, then what is the point of arbitration?

Thanks everyone for your feedback. A couple points of clarification:

Once we learned that the freelancer attempted to hack into our braintree account to access our customers information after we left him a negative review and discovered that he had disabled our app after we paid him in full, we immediately reached out to upwork. This was within one hour of the contract ending. It was a Saturday evening. We were told by upwork that because we approved the milestone, there was nothing we could do. We also checked to see if our negative review warning other customers of this scam was still up and we saw that it had been removed. Because of this, we realized that the only way to protect ourselves from further loss was to notify our financial institution of the fraud and were able to stop the transaction. We continued to contact upwork to notify them that we had cancelled the payment for our protection and after SEVERAL days of benig told there was nothing they could do, we finally were able to get a response from the dispute team. We produced evidence that the freelancer had attempted several times to access our customer's financial information and had disabled our app after payment was made in full. Unfortunately, Go Daddy would not provide us with information about who had taken down our website without a subpoena. 

I want to be clear that this is NOT a dispute about the freelancer's quality of work. We had issues with that as well but understand that due to upwork's policies, we are unable to dispute quality of work once funds have been released. We are informing and providing evidence to support the fact that the freelancer extorted, scammed, and hacked our accounts AFTER the contract ended and disabled our app. This means that we paid the freelancer $3200 ($4000 minus the $800 we were able to stop payment on) and have no app. The freelancer has $4000 because upwork paid him the remaining $800 even after we notified them that we had stopped payment and produced evidence of fraud. 

It has been 3 weeks since the fraud occurred. We have been going back and forth with upwork daily. And they are still saying that unless we are willing to pay the last $800, we cannot go to arbitration. We have asked if we can put the $800 in escrow pending the outcome of the arbitration. They have repeatedly said no. We have asked what happens if we pay the $800 and the $291 for arbitration and upwork said that we will only get the $291 back. They cannot force him to give us a refund and will not refund us themselves. We have asked for this to be escalated as it would make no sense for us to pay $800 to someone who has scammed us and has no motivation to go to arbitration since he has received $4000 and did not have to deliver us a product. Upwork has refused to escalate or allow us to put the $800 in escrow. 

The purpose of this forum was to warn others about the risks of using freelancers outside of the US to build electronic products. The freelancer is able to retain control over our product and disable it after we paid him in full and upwork's policies are protecting him. If he was located in the US, we might have been able to circumvent upwork and file a law suit against him directly. Because we don't have information about him and he is outside of the US, that is not an option. We must either pay the $800, which we have no recourse for recooping, or allow the freelancer to get away with no consequences. 

We are truly concerned about other individuals who may unknowingly enter into a contract with him or have a similar thing happen to them and are hoping that upwork will help us protect their customers. That is the reason for this post. 

petra_r
Community Member

To be honest you tried to get something at a small fraction of what it would really cost for a small sum and it misfired.

You paid peanuts and got monkeys. That is the risk you take when you try to cut costs.

There is nothing Upwork can do beyond kicking the freelancer off the platform, which is likely what will happen.

Having seen the original job post frankly the chances of getting what is essentially an Uber-type of app at anywhere near that budget were always zero.

Nothing excuses the dishonesty of this freelancer, nothing.

But, I agree that going for a low cost developer in Asia with the hope to build the new Uber for $4K was totally unrealistic from the beginning. Even if the freelancer wasn't a scammer, the resulting work would have certainly been totally unusable.

-----------

@Petra R wrote:

To be honest you tried to get something at a small fraction of what it would really cost for a small sum and it misfired.

You paid peanuts and got monkeys. That is the risk you take when you try to cut costs.

There is nothing Upwork can do beyond kicking the freelancer off the platform, which is likely what will happen.

Having seen the original job post frankly the chances of getting what is essentially an Uber-type of app at anywhere near that budget were always zero.

Also, it may only happen if you first pay the $800 to Upwork for the chargeback and then pony up the $291.  With a chargeback you defrauded Upwork.

petra_r
Community Member

Stephanie, let's cut to the bottom line...

Let's assume you go to arbitration and win.

Upwork can not get the money back from that freelancer unless the freelancer repays it. The most they can do is suspend him.The arbitrator can not get that money back from that freelancer unless the freelancer repays it.

So frankly in this case (no money in Escrow and all available funds withdrawn,) what are you trying to achieve by going to arbitration?

stefan-c
Community Member

I think the arbitration deadline was March 28th (see first post in other thread), can they still ask for arbitration now?

petra_r
Community Member

@Stefan C wrote:

I think the arbitration deadline was March 28th (see first post in other thread), can they still ask for arbitration now?

Seems utterly pointless, anyway.

What would arbitration be able to achieve?

Even if the freelancer still HAD the money (unlikely) - it is most unlikely he'd pay it back.

Chances are his Upwork account is or shortly will be toast anyway.

He has nothing to lose

That is why, just before the freelancer in this mess posted his version of events, I questioned the sense of encouraging a client to file for arbitration when there are no funds in Escrow.

stefan-c
Community Member

@Petra R wrote:

@Stefan C wrote:

Even if the freelancer still HAD the money (unlikely) - it is most unlikely he'd pay it back.

Chances are his Upwork account is or shortly will be toast anyway.

He has nothing to lose

That is why, just before the freelancer in this mess posted his version of events, I questioned the sense of encouraging a client to file for arbitration when there are no funds in Escrow.

I guess it might be worth it if the freelancer values his Upwork account. Then again, no freelancer that values his account and has some sort of business ethics would let it reach arbitration, not unless he feels he’s in the right. So yeah.

It seems there were funds in the escrow when the dispute started (the last milestone was released March 11th), but for some reason the client decided not to arbitrate. Instead, he filed a chargeback and NOW he wants to arbitrate, haha.

@Petra R wrote:

Typically an arbitration award can be reduced to judgment and collected through the same means as any other judgment--garnishment of wages, bank accounts, property, etc.

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

Typically an arbitration award can be reduced to judgment and collected through the same means as any other judgment--garnishment of wages, bank accounts, property, etc.

If there are no funds in the escrow, and the other party fails to pay the arbitration fee, there will be no arbitration (or at least that’s how I understand 5.5).

@Tiffany S wrote:

Yup.  OP can prqctice her own layering skills fighting International juridictions.  Anyway it is a mute point.  The deadline was March 28.

I guess now she may have to worry about that chargeback to Upwork.  They are out of $800.  I am sure they will do their best to recover that money.

Tiffany: It is my understanding that Escrow deposits are good faith money - it is not for the physical stuff.  Can Upwork fight the chargeback demonstrating that they have acted in full compliance of the escrow agreement?

@Prashant P wrote:

Tiffany: It is my understanding that Escrow deposits are good faith money - it is not for the physical stuff.  Can Upwork fight the chargeback demonstrating that they have acted in full compliance of the escrow agreement?

They COULD, but that doesn't mean that they will, or that they will win. In the U.S., chargeback fraud is a serious problem and merchants often lose (or just roll over because of the difficulty associated with fighting them). 

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

Sure, but that is both difficult and expensive when the other party is in another country, and if arbitration does not take place because one party decides to take their ball and go home, there will be no arbitration award.

So, in essence = Game over

odinsql
Community Member

$4,000 for eight months of software development work. It sounds like you've gotten what you've paid for. It's highly unlikely, but hopefully you've at least learned something from this experience. When I lived in Mexico they had an expression  roughly translated to "You get monekey when you pay with peanuts". 

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

A few posts have been removed from this thread and the thread has been closed from further replies. 

Stephanie, Upwork team will continue communicating with your husband directly and assisting with this case.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths