cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search for freelancer by specific country

Janine C Member Since: Jul 20, 2014
1 of 10
Yesterday I was able to search for freelancers in specific countries by selecting the country from a Location selection list. Today I can only select regions by checkboxes, not specific countries. Has this changed or am I doing something different?
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 10
Hi Janine, Thank you for your question! The ability to search by country is being tested currently that's why it is shown on a limited basis. Please, stay tuned for future updates.
~ Valeria
Untitled
Adam R Member Since: Sep 26, 2013
3 of 10
Great! Guess what country will be most excluded! This is a really much needed feature. Also would be good for contractors to be able to search for work by country.
Steven S Member Since: Dec 22, 2014
4 of 10

What I have observed just now is that when I am not logged in I can search by country but when I am logged in I get the old UI and can only search by region. Is there any way I can switch my profile to the new search-UI?

Jinesh S Member Since: Apr 11, 2016
5 of 10

You posted that search by country is being tested in 07/2014 its 04/2016 now!!!

How do we shortlist freelancers by specific country? Do we have to scroll all pages and find the country name under each profile? that's medieval!

Looking for some other manageable site for freelancer!!

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 10

Hi Jinesh,

Upwork clients can use the location filter in the Advanced Filters when searching for freelancers. You can find more information in this thread.

Since you are a new client, I would suggest reading this Help article and visiting our Hiring Headquarters, where you'll find all the information and best practice advice designed to help guide you through the hiring process on Upwork.

If you need any assistance, feel free to post your questions in the Clients forum.

Ace Contributor
Katherine V Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
7 of 10

@Jinesh S wrote:

You posted that search by country is being tested in 07/2014 its 04/2016 now!!!

How do we shortlist freelancers by specific country? Do we have to scroll all pages and find the country name under each profile? that's medieval!

Looking for some other manageable site for freelancer!!

What in the world are you ranting about?

The ability to filter by location (which includes country) has been around for a while now (more than a year).

When you search and get results, just go to advanced filter, and type in a location and select the one you need.

SearchFilter1

Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
8 of 10

I hope that the ability to search by country doesn't lead to freelancers being excluded from or "downgraded" during bidding.

I only say that because I know from experience that for many nationalities Germany is the only country where German is spoken. So someone who has absolutely no knowledge of Europe (or trust in freelancers abilities) might select "freelancers from Germany" to get, say, their product descriptions translated, when location is not really a determining variable at all for the job. While I don't mind having to explain in my proposals that I am in fact familiar with the (High) German spoken in Germany, have lived there, attended school there, know how to do research, blah, blah, blah, I don't expect to be excluded from the bidding process. [End of gripe; thanks for listening.]

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
9 of 10

As a client in your field (and obviously only speaking for myself, not for every client), I don't bother with the country filter...both for the reason you've stated (plenty of languages have speakers in different countries and even if the dialect is different, professional translators can compensate for this - my current German translator is also Austrian Smiley Happy ) - but also because one of the big reasons freelancers become freelancers is so they can work and travel. My longest serving freelancer does not live in his native country, nor do several of my other translators. If I'm restricting myself to freelancers only in the "main" country for a language, I'm missing out on talent.

Maire S Member Since: Dec 7, 2014
10 of 10
This is really frustrating me SO MUCH!! I am wasting so much time trying to get the search by country feature to appear. I'm not going to bother using odesk until it appears. Does anyone know another forum where you can search by country?
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS