cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for Freelancers

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
11 of 17

Hi John,

The search results can vary from person to person and from day to day. We want to make sure that the results the clients see match their requirements and expectations and that as many profiles of professional freelancers as possible get a chance to show up in search.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
12 of 17

Valeria,

Thank you for the explanation. You're right, I tried the same search in a different browser without logging in, and the results are completely different. Job success isn't even displayed -- that's only visible when you're logged in I suppose. But when you say results vary 'from day to day' and that you make sure 'as many profiles of professional freelancers as possible get a chance to show up in search', are you acknowledging that some sort of shuffling takes place, even if it's not in random order? Stephen B elsewhere mentioned something similar regarding invitations, that you distribute them in some way so that many freelancers get invitations, and not necessarily the most qualifed freelancers.

13 of 17

John,

Yes, it is correct regarding the search results. We do not distribute invitations, however. Only the client or hiring manager can invite freelancers to apply for a posting. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
14 of 17

I suppose what I meant was that the invitations come in spurts because Upwork has tinkered with the visibility in searches - so If you're visible in a search you're likely to get more invitations...

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
15 of 17

New bug:

More options is no longer working http://screencast.com/t/LrV7LXeVZ

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
16 of 17

Thank you for reporting, Natasha. We'll check with our engineers about this issue.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Rachelle P Member Since: Jul 20, 2015
17 of 17

It's funny because this same conversation is happening over on the Elance forums (where I do most of my work - I identify as an Elancer). Isn't keyword search the most basic search function in all of history? We're not asking for a Google algorithm!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS