🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Seeing when a message is read
Page options
fernandovaz
Community Member

Seeing when a message is read

Hi! My name is Fernando, and I am a Product Manager working on the Collaboration Platform team here at Upwork. My team is responsible for everything that lives inside the Messages page, as well as all features that allow a freelancer and a client to work better together.,

One of the issues that come up most frequently when we review feedback between clients and freelancers is a lack of responsiveness. Things are going well, until one of the parties (the client or the freelancer) stops responding to messages and people get anxious to know whether it's just a delay or if people have seen the messages at all.

In order to address that, we're considering adding "message seen" indicators to our Messages page (and consequently to the Messages window on the desktop app). If you've used mobile messaging apps such as WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger you will be familiar with this - being able to tell when someone has seen your messages.

It would look something like this when you hover over a message (these are early mockups):

Screenshot 2016-12-08 15.43.41.pngScreenshot 2016-12-08 15.43.58.png

When we launch this feature, would you like to be able to turn it off? Bear in mind that this means you would also not see these indicators for when other people see your messages.

Any other feedback you might have about this would be most welcome.

Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
fernandovaz
Community Member

Thank you all for your feedback. Many of you voiced legitimate concerns, and so we have decided not to pursue this at this point. Once again, thank you for being so awesome, it's great to be able to have this sort of communication with our users.

Happy holidays to you all!

View solution in original post

50 REPLIES 50
786muhammadali
Community Member

Hi, Would like to know is there been any progress on the message seen. 

Hi Muhammad,

We aren't aware of any plans to add this feature. If anything changes in this area, we'll make sure to inform the Community.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Muhammad A wrote:

Hi, Would like to know is there been any progress on the message seen. 

The vast majority of professional Upwork users are dead set against this.

b6ff2561
Community Member

I think This would be great. Because I, as a seller, keep on waiting for the reply of my client, (when we are discussing a project and order is not placed). And Sometimes, the client just ignores the message of the seller and hire someone else. If he saw our message, we will know that he doesn't want to hire us, or may need some more time to reply. 

I think Good clients should leave a message "that they hire someone else". Well, It would be good if you only introduce "message seen" But not the time when It was seen.

petra_r
Community Member

Ayesha M wrote:

I think This would be great.

No. It wouldn't. Upwork asked us once if we would like that and the vast majority were quite rightly agaist it.

I set my profile so clients can't see if I am online or not too. I read a message as soon as it comes in, but I reply as soon as it fits into what I am doing, especially if the response requires more thought.

Ayesha M wrote:

Sometimes, the client just ignores the message of the seller and hire someone else. If he saw our message, we will know that he doesn't want to hire us, or may need some more time to reply. 

Someone you are being interviewed by is not "your" client.

If a client does not reply to you, forget all about it unless the client comes back.

deb-debashish
Community Member

I don't see the ticks when i hover over the message

Debashish D wrote:

I don't see the ticks when i hover over the message

No, of course you don't. They don't exist. The OP suggested such a function, we said "NOOOOOOOO!!!!" Upwork thankfully listened and never implemented it.

kashifpmt92
Community Member

Then you should also design a solution for freelancers. Who keep checking open jobs for months with their proposal and job postings that someone has been hired or interviews are still going on. You have made upwork a platform that only provides work to people already in with high earnings. You left no place for new talented people and believe me this mistake will give someone a chance to make their place in the market and you guys will keep watching.

That is exactly the problem.

Who keep checking open jobs for months with their proposal and job postings that someone has been hired or interviews are still going on.

Don't do that. It's a complete waste of time.

Its fine to move on new jobs but what about our paid connects?

What about our profile state board?Captudfsdfre.PNG

That is the real problem we new freelancers are facing. Freelancers have to think many times before applying to the new jobs. Our profile ranking being distrubed by such clients. Upwork should must take steps in this regards.

3bbfbcea
Community Member

I am new Member..Can you Please wellcome Me 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths