cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeing when a message is read

Community Leader
Joseph G Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
21 of 38

Thats according to you. You have a reason to to oppose and i have a reason to support. Anyway, since majory are opposers, i comply!

R. K. M Member Since: Aug 13, 2017
22 of 38

It can be solved by giving the permission to the users (both freelancers and clients). Permission can be given in any way, by letting the users choose to seen or unseen in a pop-up during the opening of the messages.

But if not, I am also not supporting it!

Nandram M Member Since: Oct 9, 2017
23 of 38

Hi Fernando,

The below posted information is treally helpful, can you please guide me how to activate this settinig where I can seen the freelancer has read my msg or not

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
24 of 38

@Nandram M wrote:

Hi Fernando,

The below posted information is treally helpful, can you please guide me how to activate this settinig where I can seen the freelancer has read my msg or not

There is no setting. The feature was never introduced because no one wanted it.

Ben K Member Since: Nov 14, 2017
25 of 38
As a freelancer, I feel that this would be a valuable option. For instance, I recently completed my first job, and, being new to the Upwork network, was unfamiliar with how the workflow is supposed to happen. Therefore, I mistakenly did all of the work on the clients content management system, and they published the changes I made to their live site, but they never officially “offered” me the contract. So the work is done, the client is happy with the outcome, but I have no idea if and when I’ll be paid for my services. Now, I have sent messages to them, and am getting no response. It would be nice to know if they have at least seen what I sent them.
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
26 of 38

Ben,

Based on feedback we received from users on this thread and via other channels, we decided not to go forward with implementing this feature.

Please, always make sure you have an active contract under My Jobs tab before you start working on the project.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
27 of 38

@Ben K wrote:
As a freelancer, I feel that this would be a valuable option. For instance, I recently completed my first job, and, being new to the Upwork network, was unfamiliar with how the workflow is supposed to happen. Therefore, I mistakenly did all of the work on the clients content management system, and they published the changes I made to their live site, but they never officially “offered” me the contract. So the work is done, the client is happy with the outcome, but I have no idea if and when I’ll be paid for my services. Now, I have sent messages to them, and am getting no response. It would be nice to know if they have at least seen what I sent them.

lol how would knowing if they read the message help you when you got scammed into doing free work? lololol how much time are you out? like did you spend a week on it or lots more time or just a couple days? man they got you good. A whole cms or just customizations?

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
28 of 38

Never mind ... just realized I was replying (and giving kudos) to a very old thread. Let's hope this function never raises it's ugly head again.

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
29 of 38

On the one hand, it seems good to me, especially if it is optional.
But this, which is optional, I do not know, I think it can be a problem.
What will customers think of a freelancer who does not have it activated?

I do not know if I explain myself very well (my terrible English) Robot Frustrated

It seems that I have arrived late Smiley LOL

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
30 of 38

I would love this.

Make it optional so everybody who are against it can turn it off, and few of us have it turned on.

I don't know if clients see my messages or not due to some bugs. 

There was a time earlier where I could read messages only through what comes on email. 

And other time where messages were sent to my client account instead freelancer account.

There were also some incidents with time lags.

And now I have either duplicate response to client's invites in my message dashboard, or none at all.

Conclusion: bugs with messages appear often.