cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeing when a message is read

Employee
Fernando V Employee Member Since: Aug 11, 2016
11 of 36

Thank you all for your feedback. Many of you voiced legitimate concerns, and so we have decided not to pursue this at this point. Once again, thank you for being so awesome, it's great to be able to have this sort of communication with our users.

Happy holidays to you all!

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
12 of 36

Thank you, Fernando, for asking, truly listening to the responses, and for acting on the feedback provided!!!

Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
13 of 36

Sounds like a great idea for a social media platform but a poor decision on a freelancing platform in my honest opinion.

I vote with the others specially with Jen M's queries.

"Off"

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
14 of 36

@Robert James R wrote:

Sounds like a great idea for a social media platform but a poor decision on a freelancing platform in my honest opinion.

Exactly. Fine for social media but not on a platform that supports our livelihoods.

Community Guru
Jan L Member Since: Jul 5, 2015
15 of 36

So Fernando, you came up with "seen" gimmick as a solution to problem of responsiveness? "Seen" doesn't solve that said problem - just makes it more visible. But you are on the right track if you think that lack of responsiveness is a communication problem. While we're at it, can you solve briefing problems? Can you make some sort of briefing checkpoints thing that client fills up before job post? I am just talking for my area, but I guess that other freelancer can add what solutions could work to make communication with clients more clear. 

Because as you know, "seen" can be avoided if you disconnect, read and connect again.  That is why I see this as a gimmick that we can live without. What if I read the pop up while working or read message via e-mail? This feature is already making more problems that solutions. If I were you, I'd not waste any more time on it. 

I think that having emojis renderes would help me more to decipher what client said by this row of squares. It takes some trickery to find out that I had recieved lips, rocket, peach and bamboo sticks. 

Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
16 of 36

Just have to poke my cyber-pencil into this discussion -- some levity, here --

I had a colleague back when I was at our local middle- and high-school, who taught classes that were, shall we say?, less academically demanding than English, math, history, science, etc. However, this annoying little man was always at great pains to explain to the rest of us how hard he worked. (He did not.) --And, by the way, ths was not P.E. The "gym" teachers, in fact, worked very hard, and to a person were quite sharp, and we all considered them to be fully on par with the "academic" faculty. This was just a guy who had started life as a science teacher, found that to be too much work, and had been gaming the system for years.

Anyway, Annoying Little Man had a habit of sending EVERY ONE of his e-mails with a red flag and the message "Top Priority," plus the request that he be notified when the message had been opened. Until he started doing this, I hadn't even much noticed that this function was available to us faculty users of the e-mail system. I think that the "High Priority" function had only been used for a few messages, such as "Two-Hour Delay due to Heavy Snow" or "Recent Graduate Killed in Car Accident Over the Weekend." The "notify when opened" function might have been used a few times when the administration sent us e-mails regarding paperwork we had to sign by a certain date.

Annoying Little Man considered all of his e-mails to be of such importance that he burned to know when everyone had seen them. Yes, every one of his photographs of his son's baseball game... His forwarded praise from a former student (not kidding! He sent such stuff out generally--I suppose in the belief that he was the only one who received such notes)... A rant about the offerings in the cafeteria... An explanation about why he couldn't possibly share one of the two (yes, TWO) classrooms that were assigned to him, despite requests from other teachers that he do so...

All of these e-mails (and more) were "High Priority."  Many of the rest of us used to check in with each other, making sure that none of us had been foolish enough to open his mails, thus setting unrealistic expectations about what Annoying Little Man could expect in terms of the "return receipts" for which he so longed.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
17 of 36

Lol Janean!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 36

Janean:

That's a great story!

Along similar lines:

When it comes to email, if somebody wants me to read an email message, they need to make sure they don't send it to anybody else.

If I see that I'm part of a "cc" list or if I see that there are multiple recipients who are getting the same email message, then that means other people are getting the same message. So it's not very important that I, personally, read it.

So I probably won't read it.

Community Leader
Joseph G Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
19 of 36

I don't know why most of the clients see this as unuseful. I as a freelacer i can support the first thought to activate this feature. Its very important.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
20 of 36

@Joseph G wrote:

I don't know why most of the clients see this as unuseful. I as a freelacer i can support the first thought to activate this feature. Its very important.

It was freelancers as well who oppose this. Frankly it is nobody's business whether I have or have not read their message.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS