Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeing when a message is read

Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
31 of 36

@Vesna M wrote:

I would love this.

Make it optional so everybody who are against it can turn it off, and few of us have it turned on.

I don't know if clients see my messages or not due to some bugs. 

There was a time earlier where I could read messages only through what comes on email. 

And other time where messages were sent to my client account instead freelancer account.

There were also some incidents with time lags.

And now I have either duplicate response to client's invites in my message dashboard, or none at all.

Conclusion: bugs with messages appear often. 

Knowing whether a client has seen the message won't help the workflow at all. It'll only ramp up your anxiety if they don't reply to a 'seen' message, and you'll still have no idea if the 'unseen' message is due to a bug or to the client riding off into the sunset. Just do a simple follow-up on the third day of non-communication, then on the 7th day - if they don't reply to both, they probably won't come back at all, or will pop up months later. 

And from a client POV - what will they think of your communication if you don't reply to a 'seen' message for more than 2-3 hours? For 12? How would they know if the 'unseen' is due to a bug or timee-lag, when they can just as easily think you've just ditched their project and end it for non-communication?  

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
32 of 36

@Bojana D wrote:

you'll still have no idea if the 'unseen' message is due to a bug or to the client riding off into the sunset.

If it happens with ten clients in a row, and I see they were online (green) at some point, I can be pretty sure they didn't see my messages due to bug, and not uninterest.

You are correct about clients who expect too much, that's why feature should be optional. I can see messages from within my email and not log into main site until I want them to see I've seen the message.

Because my main desire isn't to check if client sees the message, but if he received it all, I have no trouble if client does the same practice. I just need to be sure he read it sometime.

33 of 36

Last seen status should be there with the option to turn it on/off.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
34 of 36

I'm a professional, and I treat the people I work with as professionals.

If a client sends me a message, he sends me a message.

If a client replies, he replies.

Until then, there is nothing.

There is no "did the client SEE my message?"

Or "when was the client last on the Upwork site?"

None of that has anything to do with me.

If I log time, I get paid automatically, even if the the client does nothing.

If I submit a fixed-price milestone, then I get paid automatically if the cleint does nothing.

That's all I need.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
35 of 36

Any further word on the status of this possible implementation? 

More important:  will we have the option to turn it on/off if implemented?

@ Preston, how you work is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand but thanks for reactivating the thread so we can follow-up on the status of same.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
36 of 36

I would just like the messaging room to perform correctly and constantly, before they add any more ingredients to the mix.

We already have to keep hiding clients that never materialized and put up with what must be one of the untidiest and clumsiest message rooms on the web.      

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS