cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking Refund after funds released

Angela C Member Since: Oct 14, 2017
1 of 7

I hired a freelancer to complete a website. The project was finally completed. I released payment Friday and requested the files. I didn't receive it. I was told to provide hosting information, which I provided so they could upload the site. I received the files in .zip format. As I downloaded the files there were some that were too long so I couldn't unload them. I requested that they upload the files to the site. I haven't received a response. At this point I would like a refund. What do I do?

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
2 of 7

Ask them for a refund. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
3 of 7

The way you describe it, this "installation" is "extra" work.

Identifying a hosting company; installing; etc. is not something done AFTER work has been "approved" and funds released.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 7

This happens to me sometimes when I buy themes from ThemeForest. The file path_name are too long. I can't remember how I get around it. Maybe Winrar? I can't remember. Probably search for a solution and it will tell you.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 7

Angela, I am genuinely sorry if you are having difficulty using these files.

But there appears to be a critical misunderstanding about the nature and purpose of refunds here.

It is not appropriate for you to ask for or be granted a refund.

If you would like to hire the original freelancer to upload these files to your hosting provider, or if you would like to hire someone else to do so, then these are appropriate actions to take.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 7

I do not believe that the freelancer provided the highest-possible level of quality customer service to the client (original poster Angela).

It would certainly be acceptable for Angela to contract the freelancer and ask if he would be willing to help her out by uploading these files to the host. However, he might be in over his head here. He may have been using tools that he does not have full control over or a full understanding of. So the fact that he did not upload them himself may have been due to incompetence and not laziness.

If he won't help, it may just be better to hire someone with considerable experience and ability using whatever tools or frameworks were involved, and just get the job finished.

But Angela needs to be clear about the fact that after one has released money to a freelancer, Upwork can't get the money back to them. The time to ask for changes or additional work -- IF that work is clearly and explicitly part of the original agreement for the contract -- is before releasing payment to the freelancer.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 7

He shoulda threw her a bone and just did it but maybe she's hard to work with idk. It's probably a ThemeForest theme too lol. The only time it happened to me was with their themes when the dev has several levels of directories. Would not be surprised at all if he just bought a theme. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS