🐈
» Forums » Clients » Setting up for Deferred Payments
Page options
5e1d91bd
Community Member

Setting up for Deferred Payments

So, I have posted a job, and I have multiple people who have already agreed to accept deferred payment for their work(s). How do I hire them and make sure that they are not payed until I have the money to do so?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
versailles
Community Member

@Graham L wrote:

How do I hire them and make sure that they are not payed until I have the money to do so?

You cannot do that on Upwork. It's not how the platform is meant to be used.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jmlaidlaw
Community Member

You cannot. Once a job is completed, you have to pay on Upwork's schedule. I guess that you could make it a fixed-rate job and ask the freelancers to delay submitting work until you are ready to pay them.

Why would any freelancer want to work in this way?

Is this a commission payment? 

versailles
Community Member

@Graham L wrote:

How do I hire them and make sure that they are not payed until I have the money to do so?

You cannot do that on Upwork. It's not how the platform is meant to be used.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Graham, 

While deferred payments is not a practice common to most clients here, I would like to note that you will need to setup a contract with these freelancers. I would recommend setting up a fixed-price contract, to be able to release pay for the work they completed through the fixed-price milestone system. 

Since you are new here, I would recommend that you read up these resources we have compiled both for freelancers and clients to help you get started on Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths