cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Several issues regarding payments

uphillmedia
daniel s Member Since: May 17, 2016
1 of 12

I am both a client and a freelancer on Upwork.

1) I cannot pay my freelancers using my balance from my freelancer account. Moving the money around like that is both weird and costly. On Elance there was only one balance for both the freelancer and the client accounts. If it's not possible to join the two balances, at least I would like to be able to send funds from one account to another.

2) I'm not allowed to pay my freelancers with my Payoneer Debit Card. I can withdraw to it, but I'm unable to use it as a funding source. Again, this is frustrating. On Elance I had no trouble using it. 

3) Because of the country I'm located in (Romania), I'm not allowed to add PayPal as a funding method and pay my freelancers with it. Again, I don't understand why. My colleagues from other countries and use PayPal just fine.

Hopefully these issues with be addressed as quickly as possible.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 12

Hi Daniel,

These are not issues, let me explain.

1) Due to legal and security regulations, financial accounts for different account contexts were separated in 2013 and I don't expect this will change in the future.

2) As per our policy, Payoneer Prepaid Debit Mastercard can't be used as a payment option on Upwork. You can only use credit card or your PayPal account as your billing method on file. In addition and related to #1, you can't use the same Payoneer account on multiple accounts, as per Payoneer ToS.

3) PayPal is not available as a billing method for users in all countries. If PayPal is not displayed as an available billing method on the account, the user can opt for a credit card.

Untitled
uphillmedia
3 of 12

Thanks for the reply Vladimir,

For me these ARE issues, because:

1) I find it rather inconvenient (to put it nicely) not to be able to use the balance that I already have on the platform. Currently you only offer the option of withrawing the funds. But what if I want to spend the funds to pay my contractors? Why waste time and money to move it around, when the funds are already on Upwork? I don't expect the two accounts to be joined (because I know how complicated this is), but at least it should be possible to trasfer funds between the freelancer and client account.

2) and 3) If #1 will be resolved in the near future and I will be able to transfer funds between the accounts, then #2 and #3 will become less pressing. 

Thanks!

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 12

lol he just told you it's a legal issue. Did you read what he wrote? #1 ain't happening. 

uphillmedia
5 of 12

I got it. Sharing the balance between the client and freelancer accounts won't happen. But maybe they'll make it possible to transfer funds between the two. So I'm not talking about joining the accounts anymore.

sfw19002
Ace Contributor
Sarah W Member Since: Aug 10, 2010
6 of 12

Sharing is transferring. Transferring is sharing.

Same concept, different terminology.

uphillmedia
7 of 12

No, it's not the same. Sharing the same balance is like it was on Elance: both the client and the freelancer account had the same "Transaction History" page, and there was only one balance for both accounts. 

Transferring between the accounts is a totally different matter. You earned some money as a freelancer, and you send it to your client account, so you can use it again on Upwork to pay for services. So there are two separate accounts, but there is the option to send funds from one account to the other. Well, there isn't... but I wish it was.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
8 of 12

I'm fairly certain this would still be a legal issue, something to do with the two different sides being different entities or something. While to you it all looks the same, in the background the funds would be being held by different entities, which is why you can't transfer. Like Vladimir said, they were separated because of regulations. Which means that they can't allow you to do it because they would be violating a regulation. It's not because they want to be annoying, or to generate money from withdrawal fees or something. They are legally not permitted to do this.

kfarnell
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
9 of 12

Which regulations?

And why do these apply to Upwork and not other platforms?

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 12

There could still be some autonomous financial differences (or agreements) between Elance and oDesk that prevents a more straightforward arrangement.

Unfortunately for the honest users, prepaid debit cards seem to have been created for the sort of scammers who can 'verify' payment, but who in fact, only have limited funds, which may not stretch to cover the job they have employed someone for. Also they are so easy to copy or steal from a prepaid card user. I imagine they must be a headache for many large companies. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS