🐈
» Forums » Clients » Short Proposals vs Detailed Proposals
Page options
7f73cc64
Community Member

Short Proposals vs Detailed Proposals

Dear clients,

Lately, submitting proposals feels like playing the lottery. Even though I've had some luck getting a few jobs, it seems there is no surefire proposal style that hooks clients. As an estimate, I get an interview for every 25 proposals. I know this is part of the game, but it would help to know what style of proposals hook you.

I completed some of Upwork's courses. I also heard opinions about how to write proposals, but I want to go straight to the source: you all.

Do you prefer proposals that cut to the chase or freelancers that go in-depth?

Which factor makes you consider interviewing a freelancer?

Peace.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
williamtcooper
Community Member

Hey Alex, make the proposal less than 100 words, acknowlege their post, your qualifications, how you can solve the problem and get an interview time. Have a great day from Texas!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
yofazza
Community Member

Hi,

I get an interview for every 25 proposals.

How about proposal views?

7f73cc64
Community Member

As far as I'm aware, there is no way to check if a proposal has been viewed by a client. I could be wrong about that. 

It would be nice if a symbol appeared next to opened/viewed proposals. For example:
Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 1.34.02 AM.png

*the eye symbol was added for illustrative purposes*

Knowing if a proposal were viewed would help me, as a freelancer, gauge which style of proposal works best for me.

You can actually check how many proposals were viewed, a cumulative count of views , not individual proposals! 

Click on Find Work->Starts->Scroll Down to "Analytics"-> Under Show me Drop Down-> Proposals->You can also select the time frame from the right-hand side drop down! 

Thank you, Ashraf! That is useful information.

Radia: approximately 2.5% of my proposals are viewed at this point in time.

yofazza
Community Member

Thank you, but are you sure you calculated it right? I've been observing this view:sent ratio and it usually goes between 10% to 30% which is still weirdly low in my opinion. 1-2 people has higher ratio, but they still don't go above 50%.

Here's mine in the past 30 days:

Capture.PNG

It's 10%. And looking at how it is right now, client will interview me if they view my proposal. Which I know is not necessarily true.

So is it possible that the views are somehow recorded incorrectly? Maybe clients can actually view the proposal without being recorded? From email notification maybe although mod Avery said clients are still encouraged to click (view)?

The View - if the numbers are correct - is the first thing to improve. Interviews & hires will follow. Good proposal is useless if they're not viewed.

--

And to respond to the original question. My comment, from what I see, even the worst proposal can get you client. So maybe there are things like "client's experience", or "luck", or "bot", or "tricks" to consider -_-  It's sad seeing those kind of proposals that leads to "those kind of services" affects the clients. And talking about bots, copypaste, immediate 50+ after a few minutes, if you think about it, they do it because they CAN get profit (hires) from it.

7f73cc64
Community Member

Yeah. Only 2.5% - 3% of my proposals have been viewed. This seems to be a consistent trend for me thus far. As you said, if more clients opened my proposals, I would likely get more interviews.

yofazza
Community Member

Okay, there're two threads currently at the top of Freelancer forum:

Both are in the 10%-30% range.

If you really only got 3 views out every 100 sent proposals, that's low beyond my observed norm (which as I said is already, weirdly, low) 😃

Let's find out how to increase the view. Or at least got explained that the metrics are not too accurate?

7f73cc64
Community Member

🫣 I am insanely embarrassed, brother. I forgot to move the decimal over to convert the quotient into a percentage. 25% - 30% of my proposals are viewed. You were right. 

Community Member

Radia, I've noticed that my stats are incorrect as well. On 2022-11-30, I posted this in another discussion:

My stats checker seems to be broken. I accepted two job offers this past week and they are not captured in my proposal stats (which has me at zero for the last 30 days). Although one of those was a proposal for a new contract that I sent to an existing client. And oddly my proposal for the other is no longer viewable from the contract page - even the chat room doesn't have it.

I've also noticed that the stats do not reflect proposals, interviews, or hires from jobs to which I was invited. Currently, my stats say that, for 2022, I have only 7 hires from normally-sent proposals, even though that value is actually 10. I also says that I've only been hired once this past month, that it was last week, even though I've been hired twice from regular proposals in that time.

And in case anybody is interested about boost stats for 2022 (assuming views and interviews are correct, even if hires aren't):

OrganicBoosted
Sent10937
Viewed36 (33%)

17 (46%)

Interviewed18 (16.5%)5 (13.5%)
Hired7 (6.4%)0

So since April this year (when I started), my actual hire rates from non-invite jobs (with 10 hires) are:

• overall 6.8%
  • 9.2% from normal
  • 0% from boosts

ETA left column to table

yofazza
Community Member

I forgot to move the decimal over

😁

@Jonathan, your stats is slightly above the (observable) average.

My stats checker seems to be broken

In case you didn't notice the update date & time are different for each dataset:

Capture.PNG

No data update on my profile views for almost a week now, although I'm not sure if it can goes like that for months.

From my personal experience, inteviews and hires are correct. Views are the ones we can't check, while this should be the first thing to improve before we can see improvement on interviews & hires.

As for invites, yes I read they're not included.

About Boosted, I'm currently  unsure if it's a sure way to raise the view ratio or not. There are boosted stats that looked like yours, but there are also the ones where boosted has less views than the unboosted.

--

My current "view" for the boost feature is also still "uncertain". Not enough "observable" data (real data will not be released I'm sure). In general I saw it as Upwork's attempt on "business innovation", which is okay, although they should still need to wait and see if it'll bring good (to them) or not.

Bad freelancers will use it, but so does the good ones. The boost feature will only be removed if there are really so many bad freelancers use it, and so many clients got lured by the (bad freelancers') top 3 positions. Otherwise it shall stay.

So far I only saw 1 real client commented about the Boost feature, and he said it has no effect on how he look at the proposals. If only based from this, then the boost feature will stay.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Hey Alex, make the proposal less than 100 words, acknowlege their post, your qualifications, how you can solve the problem and get an interview time. Have a great day from Texas!

Thanks, Will.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths