🐈
» Forums » Clients » Should I pay out this milestone?
Page options
29ef8cb4
Community Member

Should I pay out this milestone?

Hey team, I've run into an issue with an artist.  3 milestones: First, for concept art.  Second, for rendering completion.  Third, for final touch ups or last minute adjustments.  Each milestone is an equal dollar amount, the milestones are essentially divided into thirds.

For the first milestone, the concept, I was very happy.  Specifically pointed out all of the things I liked about it.  Paid out.

The artist then took the project in what I thought was a fairly different direction, which I wasn't satisfied with at all.  Communication of what I wanted had been clear, to the best of my knowledge, and the artist does admit they went on a little sideways, trying something different.  No problem, it happens, it's part of the creative process.

Fast forward about a week, and the artist says they're having some issues they need to take care of, and thus need a hiatus from the project.  They would also like to be paid for the second milestone now, because they have put in time and work on the project, even though I didn't like the direction it went, and won't be using any of it.

So it comes to this, they want to be paid the milestone for the time and work they have done, as part of the creative process, even though it went in the wrong direction.  They've claimed they can come back and finish it (in an undefined amount of time) still, for the third and final payment, where things will supposedly be solved.
I however, don't want to pay the second milestone because I haven't gotten anything out of it, and I don't really want to wait for an undefined amount of time for my entire project to move forwards, either.
So I'm looking for advice.  I respect an artist's time, but if I pay the milestone out I'll be empty-handed and out $$$ for nothing.  I'm not sure if there's an Upwork policy, or etiquette, or culture, surrounding this kind of issue.  Any help would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Russell D wrote:

So I'm looking for advice.  I respect an artist's time, but if I pay the milestone out I'll be empty-handed and out $$$ for nothing.  I'm not sure if there's an Upwork policy, or etiquette, or culture, surrounding this kind of issue.  Any help would be appreciated.

How about negotiating for part of the milestone?

Really it depends on much money are we talking about.

If it's $ 20 or whatever, I'd just pay it and close the contract (leaving appropriate feedback)

If it's $ 200 I wouldn't.

You actually couldn't be blamed for refusing to pay the second milestone, because the work for it is not complete and the concept probably isn't much use to you if you need to start over with another freelancer.

As I said, it depends on how much money it is. It's not worth my while to squabble over $ 20. It's worth my while to argue over $ 200. 

Your mileage may vary.

29ef8cb4
Community Member

I mentioned that a compromise might be the best idea, but haven't heard back yet.  I agree with your sentiment.  Each of these milestones is $100.  First one paid out, second one pending.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths