Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I report this freelancer?

Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
1 of 26

upwork applicant.png

Pretty much copy paste application...  They mention "honesty" as one of their qualities.

I guess being a top designer is subjective.  Would you report someone like this?  I don't know how they can make that claim, unless maybe they have another account somewhere with feedback that I don't know about.

Also, they included their email and skype in their proposal...  Others mention skype username on their cover letter as well.

Community Guru
2 of 26

Just FYI.  Out of 14 applicants, 4 of them included an email, skype, or both in their proposal.  I thought that this wasn't allowed, but I don't see it mentioned in the Freelancer Policies:

https://www.upwork.com/info/terms/contractor-policies/

Is it just not allowed in the freelancer profile?

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
BEST ANSWER
3 of 26

@Daniel C wrote:

upwork applicant.png

Pretty much copy paste application...  They mention "honesty" as one of their qualities.

I guess being a top designer is subjective.  Would you report someone like this?  I don't know how they can make that claim, unless maybe they have another account somewhere with feedback that I don't know about.

Also, they included their email and skype in their proposal...  Others mention skype username on their cover letter as well.

Daniel, I would say you could report this, but probably nothing would come of it. There are a lot of newbies who do this, not knowing it's really not the right way to bid. On the other hand, if if it IS a spammer and Upwork is already somewhat aware of this user, or has something on their end if it's a "new" flag that confirms the spam, great.

Also, is it possible they are from Elance and simply haven't migrated their account yet, perhaps?

Now in regards to "contact" information in cover letters aka bids aka proposals. This is allowed.

The mods have confirmed this more then once in the fourms, as well as this particular thread. Note: at one point this data was not allowed in cover letters, but that rule was adjusted.

We can:

1. Link to our Skype account

2. Link to our email account (though I never recommend that)

3. Link to our website

4. Link to our Upwork profile page

5. Link to some other chat medium account

We can't do any of the above on our Upwork PROFILES, however.

Community Guru
4 of 26

Pandora, thank you so much for clarifying this for me!

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
5 of 26

@Daniel C wrote:

Pandora, thank you so much for clarifying this for me!

Quite welcome, Daniel.

I know how hard it is to keep up with the rules and regs of Upwork. And it's pretty impossible to search the forums. We need a support sub-forum with stickied FAQs' soooo bad. Sigh.

Ace Contributor
Priyanka K Member Since: Jun 15, 2015
6 of 26

Some time client write in job description to put contact info like emailid or skypeid on top of your cover latter. I have talked with CS and they have confirmed so freelacer can put contact info in cover latter.

Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
7 of 26

So in job application can we include:

1. Link to our Skype account

2. Link to our email account (though I never recommend that)

3. Link to our website

4. Link to our Upwork profile page

5. Link to some other chat medium account

I remember I got into trouble linking to a web site in the cover letter. I think the web site had contact panel and I was accused of moving clients off the platform!

Can any of the moderators confirm this please.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 26

Hi Md. Rahatur,

That is correct. We now allow freelancers to include personal contact information in their proposal. In other words, freelancers can include personal contact information in any direct communication with clients.  Contact information on profiles and job postings are not allowed. Additionally, even if you are using external means of communication with your client, we still advise you to record main terms in the Upwork Message system.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
9 of 26

Thanks Valeria. That will make life so much easier.

Roman Z Member Since: Aug 10, 2017
10 of 26

HI Valeria,

I have a freelancer who is being threatening.  How do I report this person?

Thanks.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS