cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I report this freelancer?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
11 of 26

Hi Roman,

I'm sorry to hear about the problem you're having with your freelancer. Please use the Help slider on the right side of your account and submit a support request with all the relevant information and screenshots of your communication. Our team will review the evidence and take appropriate action.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 26

Daniel,

There is no prohibition against a contractor including contact information such as Skype ID and email address in a cover letter when applying to a job posting.

As for the other stuff, the contractor is something of a doofus, but I don't see anything that can really be reported here.

If you're worried about the claim that he's one of the top 20 designers on Upwork... well, that's subjective, you know? How do you know he's not? Maybe his criteria for "best" is that he loves his mom more deeply than most other designers. That makes him one of the best in his mom's eyes. Who am I to argue?

So short answer: Don't report. But don't interview or hire him either.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 26

As for the Skype thing:

I have hired a lot of designers from a certain country.

Most of them sent their Skype ID.

"Skype me! Skype me."

Yeah... no. That's the last thing I want. I don't want them Skyping me.

I communicate with designers via Upwork Messaging only. Just send me the design work. My own mother doesn't have my Skype ID. You think I'm giving it to you?

Andreas W Member Since: Aug 16, 2015
14 of 26

Seems you mean a certain South East Asian country as that is my experience as well. Both of them gave their Skype id to me.

Please enlighten me, why isn't it good to give them yours?

FYI - I didn't get any proposal to do the work outside of Upwork if you mean that in your answer nor did I made that offer or was I planning to make that offer. Skype is an established medium for communicating on short notice with people for me or even talk to them without incurring high costs. Speaking to someone makes me feel more secure, it makes that developer more human than just answering by email.

So would like to know why not?

Kathy P Member Since: May 10, 2015
15 of 26

If you're worried about the claim that he's one of the top 20 designers on Upwork... well, that's subjective, you know? How do you know he's not? Maybe his criteria for "best" is that he loves his mom more deeply than most other designers. That makes him one of the best in his mom's eyes. Who am I to argue?

So short answer: Don't report. But don't interview or hire him either.

I am troubled that the responses are either don't report him--just don't hire him or if you do report nothing comes of it. And calling this freelancer an endearing-screw up name---like "Doofus"--Man Wink is equally troubling and undermines the point of the OP- as I understand it. It has to less with whether he's a legit best designer, the work will prove that,  subjective or not,  but it's more to do with the fact that he falsified information. Being listed as one of the top designers in Upwork-- implies there is a vetting procress of some sort. By copying and pasting -- info from another person's profile -the freelancer circumvents --even having his own positive reviews--in effect--he's co-opting someone else's review. It's meant to deliberately mislead the client into thinking something that's not true so that the client can be tricked in hiring this freelancer based on inaccurate information. It gives an unfair advantage over an honest freelancer with equal credentials  --- it's really deplorable work ethic.     

Forget about the person's design work for a moment and that trite nonsense about his mother. That part IS subjective. Focus on the prestige  of being selected as one of UpWork's BEST---that's a powerful review and an honor that this person did not earn. And that is factual--NOT subjective.  OP, you were absolutely right to be concerned.   Although you have resolved it, I would have  been in favor of this having been reported. Not only that, it should be emphasized in the guidelines strictly prohibting that practice.  Hell, yes-it's dishonest. Judging from the replies, Odesk went to hell in a handbasket when it switched to UpWork Woman Mad

Joshua M is right--

I have backed off for one of those reasons. 

Community Leader
Joshua M Member Since: Nov 8, 2014
16 of 26

Why go through the trouble of reporting when you can easily just mark his proposal spam and forever banishing/tarnishing his future proposals to the hidden application zone. 

Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
17 of 26

No worries Joshua, I did not report the freelancer.  I just got the impression that maybe they had multiple accounts.  It ended up not being worth reporting.

Community Leader
Joshua M Member Since: Nov 8, 2014
18 of 26

I think you should have atleast still marked his proposal as spam Daniel.

Those types of applications is one of the main reasons why clients don't use upwork.

Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
19 of 26

9 out of 10 proposals look like off the shelf spam.  I wish that I had a better pool to choose from.  I'm going to wait a day before I make my decision.

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
20 of 26

@ Preston

My own mother doesn't have my Skype ID. You think I'm giving it to you?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I SO agree with that! I don't think the majority of jobs warrant someone having my Skype ID. When asked for it in a job posting (or any other personal information for that matter), I clearly state that, if the situation warrants it, I'll supply it if/when my proposal reaches the interview stage. Otherwise....no.

When I had just started on this forum, I made the mistake of supplying it in an application (I did not get the job), but suddenly got bugged by a number of creepy...really creepy people whom I ended up blocking. Happened for a few days before it stopped. 

Ergo...me no givee skypee etc. Sorry. 

(me no love sumbody long taaim)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS