🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Should I terminate a contract with freela...
Page options
363211a5
Community Member

Should I terminate a contract with freelancer or is it too soon

Hello I wanted to get some feedback. I hired a freelancer for a logo design. Contract started on a Friday and we last spoke on Sunday. It is now Thursday and still no communication. I have messaged them asking them how things are going if they need any more information from me, I've sent inspiration pictures for 3 days straight now and still no response. This is not an hourly but fixed price. What should I do. Can I cancel or still have to work with this person. This is my second time working with this individual but it was not like this. If someone can please guide me to right direction. I need this logo done. Thank you
9 REPLIES 9
lysis10
Community Member

When did you ping her? I don't say anything until I'm done, but if a client is new with me and pings me for an update, usually I respond within the same day. 

Did you set a deadline on the milestone? If you set a deadline for something like next week, it's not unusual for her to say nothing until she gets to it. Well, that is unless you ask for an update a couple days ago.

robin_hyman
Community Member

Kethy A wrote:
Hello I wanted to get some feedback. I hired a freelancer for a logo design. Contract started on a Friday and we last spoke on Sunday. It is now Thursday and still no communication. I have messaged them asking them how things are going if they need any more information from me, I've sent inspiration pictures for 3 days straight now and still no response. This is not an hourly but fixed price. What should I do. Can I cancel or still have to work with this person. This is my second time working with this individual but it was not like this. If someone can please guide me to right direction. I need this logo done. Thank you

Hi Kethy,

As a client you have the right to cancel a contract at any time for any reason.  If you discussed a delivery date and the freelancer is past due, move on and hire someone else.  If you didn't have an agreed-upon deadline I would reach out one more time asking for an update and ETA (estimated time of arrival) of the logo.  Mention if you don't hear back from them by X time (give it a few hours), you'll have to cancel the contract and hire someone else.  

Good luck!
Robin

Thank you I think that's what I am going to do , msg again and go from
there.
prestonhunter
Community Member

Kathy:

Your time is valuable!

You are under no obligation to work with any freelancer that you don't want to continue working with.

How much money are we talking about?

The EASIEST and FASTEST way to end a fixed-price contract is simply to release any money in escrow and close the contract. You don't need anybody's permission to do that.

If you want to get some money back, then you will need to get permission from the freelancer. Here is my suggestion: Send a note:

"Jerry, thank you for being willing to work on this project. I'm really sorry to do this, but I need to close the contract and get pull the money out so I can pay another freelancer. I'm up against a tight deadline. But I don't want to leave you with nothing. Will you agree to accept a partial payment of $10, and you won't need to send me any files or do anything. That would just be for your trouble, and I would be grateful. If that will work for you, then I'll close the contract, consider it successful, and release $10 to you, and you can agree to refund the remaining amount."

If he doesn't respond, then just go ahead and close the contract, while requesting all of the escrow money be returned back to you. The money will all be returned to you AUTOMATICALLY if the freelancer doesn't respond.

Thank you so much, I will do that. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kethy,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I've shared your concern with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly to assist you to get in touch with the Freelancer.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
363211a5
Community Member

Thank you!

The one thing is you say this didn't happen the first time. The one thing is you need to see what is happening in your freelancers country. Say India for instance, parts of the country are under severe flooding and your freelancer may be having problems. Just my two cents and something to look at.

re: "...and your freelancer may be having problems."

Ron:

You are correct.

If something is happening in the freelancer's country or community, then that would indeed be the freelancer's problem, and not the client's problem.

If my town has been flooded and I need to spend a few weeks cleaning up and recovering, then the last thing I want to deal with is designing a T-shirt logo for somebody who lives thousands of miles away. So if the contract were closed, and I don't need to worry about it, then that would be a mercy.

The client should close the contract and ask for a refund.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths