cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: So I posted a job requesting someone in North America with perfect English.

Ace Contributor
Greg G Member Since: Jan 1, 2015
1 of 7

Now Upwork is spamming my email with "great fits' for the job - except all these guys are located overseas and can't speak English well.

Can you please fix your matching algorithm. It doesn't need to be Google-like in complexity, just moderately helpful.

Thanks

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 7

@Greg G wrote:

Now Upwork is spamming my email with "great fits' for the job - except all these guys are located overseas and can't speak English well.

Can you please fix your matching algorithm. It doesn't need to be Google-like in complexity, just moderately helpful.

Thanks

Greg,

I feel your pain. The freelancers are having the same issue. We either are hidden or the messages are not getting through. You might want to try  doing a search for the criteria that you are seeking and invite those that fit your job to interview. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Mark C Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
3 of 7

Only problem with that is that the search algorithm is not working correctly at the moment.

If, for example, I was the perfect fit for the job, you could input all the filters that match me but I would not appear in the results.

Upwork is aware of the problem, but they say that they will get round to sorting it one day. 

I can't get the exact response - because of course the link to get to CS and my ticket is down.

Edit - managed to get through to my ticket;

Due to the complexity of the feature, there is currently no projected resolution date. Our Engineering team has added this issue to the workflow, and you can expect an update once the fix is added to a future release.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
4 of 7

Mark it is kind of like a ticket where my profile says for a job I hid the feedback, but there is no way to hide feedback, but of course the ticket has been open 2 months and they told me that it will be fixed in a later update since no one else seems to have the problem..

Chaz D Member Since: Aug 18, 2015
5 of 7

I am constantly receiving job offers for $20, $50, even one for $5. My minimum is $150/hour. At that rate, it's a huge waste of my time to inspect these insipid offers and have to decline to each one. (If I don't decline, or take action, Upwork stops sending anything.) And yes, I do get hired at $150/hour from professional clients who know it's a solid investment -- a fraction of what my service will do for their business.

In fact, I list my level as "expert" (40+ years in the design and ad industry should qualify that, besides being extremely talented and intelligent) but I keep receiving offers from "businesses" who desire an intermediate level "mix of experience and value." Wrong description, by the way. Expert level is experience and value (my $5,000 logo is more valuable than Joe Schmo's $500 logo). Intermediate level is minimal experience (or lots of experience but no talent) and cheap.

As far as I'm concerned, Upwork (or should I say Downwork?) is intermediate level.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 7

re: "I am constantly receiving job offers for $20, $50, even one for $5. My minimum is $150/hour."

Chaz,

Yes, it is annoying. But there are settings we can set, including setting our visibility setting to private, which will block offers like that.

I don't opt out of receiving the job offers and notifications, probably for the same reason you dont:

Although I receive offers that are of no interest to me, I also receive a number of very good offers, from clients offering to pay my posted hourly rate to do work of interest to me that fits my skill set. I receive enough such offers that in most months I don't apply to any jobs/send any proposals; most of the work I do is based on invitations.

In an ideal world, we would not receive offers that make no sense for us, whether it is because of the rate offered or because of the nature of the work.

But in the imperfect world of Upwork, where the algorithms are still a work in progress (and probably always will be), I don't find it very time-consuming to look at an offer for a couple seconds, realize it's not for me, and politely decline it if it is an actual offer or just delete the email if it is an Upwork suggestion to check out a newly posted job.

It is a trade-off... seeing the inapplicable/inappropriate job invites and suggestions in order to see some that are good. I realize that many contractor's aren't having any success with this at all, but for me, it's working out well enough right now.

Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
7 of 7

Chaz, you might attract undesired offers because the work history does not truly reflect to practice the hourly rate specified in your profile. For example, you have a job at $10/hour.

There are many that display a high rate in the profile but in reality practicing lower rates, some clients may send an invite based on the rate you practice.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS