🐈
» Forums » Clients » Someone is spoofing my company's domain and s...
Page options
326b2408
Community Member

Someone is spoofing my company's domain and sending fraudulent job offers

In the last 2 weeks, 2 people have contacted my company's HR regarding job offers received through this site.  We don't hire freelancers, and these job offers come with invoices and fake checks, in a fairly obvious attempt at defrauding people.

How do we go about banning these fake accounts?

5 REPLIES 5
lysis10
Community Member

Jae B wrote:

In the last 2 weeks, 2 people have contacted my company's HR regarding job offers received through this site.  We don't hire freelancers, and these job offers come with invoices and fake checks, in a fairly obvious attempt at defrauding people.

How do we go about banning these fake accounts?

The freelancer should be smart enough to see that it's fraud and report the job. Upwork then removes the job post. Unfortunately, Upwork is reactive rather than proactive, so I think enough people have to report it. I reported one once very very quickly and it stayed up for a while until I think several people reported it.

326b2408
Community Member

That is disappointing.  These fraudulent emails are fairly convincing; the scammer went to the effort of taking our logo from our website, and using our actual phone number and address.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jae,

I'm sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience. We searched and weren't able to find the jobs that may be the reason for this. It's most likely already been removed from the marketplace. We'll look into it further to confirm and reach out to you if we need any additional information.

You can also click on my name and send me a PM with more information about this report. I'll be sure to escalate this accordingly.

Thank you for flagging this to us.

~ Bojan
Upwork
326b2408
Community Member

Thank you, Bojan; I have sent a PM

Jae:

Do not take this personally.

These scammers follow a specified script and take specific steps. Part of the scam is copying information from real companies they find on the Internet. They may do this with ANY company that has an Internet presence. They rotate through companies, never using one for long.

These scammers target freelancers on Upwork, but also on every other available freelance platform or place to find people looking for work.

My advice to YOU is to understand that this has nothing to do with you. There is no way for you to prevent this unless you decide to have no Internet presence.

I always advice freelancers to NOT contact the company or employees whose name the scammers copied. But some freelancers do that. You do not need to spend time trying to help those freelancers. If you receive an email from them, just delete the email. If they call you, then just tell them: "No, we are not hiring any freelancers. It was scammers, not people from our company, who contacted you."

Latest Articles
Learning Paths