🐈
» Forums » Clients » Something smells a little fishy
Page options
9b795d98
Community Member

Something smells a little fishy

I am a client who is looking for a freelancer. I was contacted by someone with many completed jobs and seemingly has earned a lot of money on UpWorthy. However, with the risk of sounding a little paranoid, their profile photo and name do not match how they sound when we spoke on the phone. (Their profile photo suggests they are a bald, white guy in Pennsylvania  but on the phone they sounded like someone calling from overseas with an extremely heavy Indian accent.) I suppose if they can do the work, I don't really care what they look like. But I am a little nervous about this - especially when they have asked for a Wordpress Admin login to research the project. 

How should I proceed? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mtngigi
Community Member

Sasha L wrote:

Thank you all for your advice and concern. The profile does seem to check all the boxes - verification check, time zone associated with the account, and all the reviews and money earned on the platform. But my gut is telling me something is off.

I found a person on LinkedIn with the same [unique] name and location so I have reached out to them to confirm that we spoke today on the phone. If they have no idea what I am talking about, then I imagine that will give me my answer. 

In the meantime, I think I will continue looking for other options until I am feeling more comfortable. Thanks to all again - Sasha

This may very well mean that the freelancer helped themselves to someone's LinkedIn info and photo, which unfortunately does happen. As forum mod Bojan indicates, Upwork will take care of this profile if the freelancer is a fraud. Please know that most of us are not (frauds). It's good to do your due diligence and follow any gut feelings you have. We have to do the same with clients.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
yield9
Community Member

That does sound a bit dodgy, to say the least.  

I'm sure many people experience prejudice and feel that having a photo that they believe represents more what clients are looking for will get them more work.  However, Upwork recently began requiring personal interviews with all freelancers, where they actually contacted us and conducted a personal interview on Skype where they checked our appearance against the profile photo on our profile.  Defeating that kind of check would be difficult, I would think.  

In the case you describe, I would hope that Upworks would review the profile of the freelancer to make sure there isn't some kind of fraud.  

Sometimes, it is good to be cautious!  I wish you all the best with finding the freelancer you need!

mtngigi
Community Member

Sasha L wrote:

I am a client who is looking for a freelancer. I was contacted by someone with many completed jobs and seemingly has earned a lot of money on UpWorthy. However, with the risk of sounding a little paranoid, their profile photo and name do not match how they sound when we spoke on the phone. (Their profile photo suggests they are a bald, white guy in Pennsylvania  but on the phone they sounded like someone calling from overseas with an extremely heavy Indian accent.) I suppose if they can do the work, I don't really care what they look like. But I am a little nervous about this - especially when they have asked for a Wordpress Admin login to research the project. 

How should I proceed? 

You should proceed with caution. Freelancer's profile are required to be truthful; this freelancer should be reported. I have flagged your post to get a forum mod's attention. Hopefully a mod will be along soon to help you out.

emiguelina
Community Member

Sasha L wrote:

How should I proceed? 

I would request a video call, just to make sure I'm talking with the same person as it shows in his/her profile.

Proceed with extreme caution! If the freelancer is not who he/she says he/she is report and move on!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sasha,

I have located the account of the freelancer you're referring to. While I won't be able to share information about the freelancer's account for privacy reasons, which I hope you understand, I will go ahead and share it with the team for another review.

Thanks!

~ Bojan
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Member

Sasha L wrote:

How should I proceed? 

Tick a couple of boxes:

1) Check that the freelancer has been verified. He or she should have a blue tick near their name

2) Check the zone time on the freelancer's profile. For example, if you are in the U.S.  then the times on the FL's profile should correspond give or take a couple of East/West hours etc.

If there is a huge difference ahead or behind, then your FL is not being upfront about location. 

3) Shifting global demographics are not likely to ensure accent, which is not important, unless your job is for a voice over.   

4) Trust your instinct and look for another freelancer. 

And BTW: The site is called Upwork not Upworthy - always a good idea to read the big print when signing on ... 

Thank you all for your advice and concern. The profile does seem to check all the boxes - verification check, time zone associated with the account, and all the reviews and money earned on the platform. But my gut is telling me something is off.

I found a person on LinkedIn with the same [unique] name and location so I have reached out to them to confirm that we spoke today on the phone. If they have no idea what I am talking about, then I imagine that will give me my answer. 

In the meantime, I think I will continue looking for other options until I am feeling more comfortable. Thanks to all again - Sasha

mtngigi
Community Member

Sasha L wrote:

This may very well mean that the freelancer helped themselves to someone's LinkedIn info and photo, which unfortunately does happen. As forum mod Bojan indicates, Upwork will take care of this profile if the freelancer is a fraud. Please know that most of us are not (frauds). It's good to do your due diligence and follow any gut feelings you have. We have to do the same with clients.

rezax123
Community Member

posting in the community is the best action for your situation.  **Edited for Community Guidelines** going on internet. you must provide that freelancer id to upwork support. they must verified the FL before let him work.

I would be happy to provide the ID to Upwork Support, but I am having trouble locating it! I keep finding myself in a loop that ends up at either the FAQ page or the community forum. Is there a page or link you can refer me to that gets me to Upwork Customer Support?

mtngigi
Community Member

]

Sasha L wrote:

I would be happy to provide the ID to Upwork Support, but I am having trouble finding it! I keep finding myself in a loop that ends up at either the FAQ page or the community forum. Is there a page or link you can reference me to tha gets me to Upwork Customer Support?

You've received a response that this person has been identified. Bojan is the forum mod who responded to my flag. All Upwork forum mods are identified by the Upwork logo and the word "Moderator" above their photo.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sasha, 

I can confirm that Bojan has filed a report with the freelancer's information, so there is no need for you to file a ticket with the Customer Support Team at this time. The team is currently investigating the report, and will take the necessary actions if they find the freelancer to be in violation of the Upwork Terms of Service.

If you need further help, you can let us know by noting it on your next reply on this thread, so that I can look into it further.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths