cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special characters in message room

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
1 of 11

Why does Upwork not support special characters in the message room? Sometimes all I need from one of my translators is a short phrase (or 1 sentence, or 1 paragraph) and it's inconvenient to exchange attachments just for that. But if we don't, I end up with messages like this:

Messages special characters.PNG

Luckily my translator knows what they are doing and also attached it in a doc anyway, but its frustrating and inconvenient.

Ace Contributor
Nicolas A Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
2 of 11

I've noticed this only happens with the messages that freelancers send when submitting work. I always include a signature at the end of these messages, but since I don't want to misspell my own name (Nicolás), I use the shortened form "Nico" (the encoding issue also applies for freelancers' names in their profiles).

I think UW is aware of this since there are many other threads about it, but it seems like it is just not worth the hassle of fixing it.

Community Guru
3 of 11

Nicolás, names are another problem I have that I've given up on already! When I download my transaction history each week, freelancers with special characters in their names are also not displayed correctly and I have to manually correct them in my record-keeping spreadsheet.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 11

Hi Jennifer,

I understand your frustration. In a lot of languages those characters are very important. Let me escalate it to the team. One question, do the special characters show incorrectly in regular messages or only in milestone submission notifications?

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
5 of 11

Hi Valeria, good question! I scrolled back through my message history with this freelancer and did find some messages where special characters were displayed correctly, but they were different characters. So perhaps it is just milestone submission notifications. To confirm, I've asked this freelancer to also send me a regular message with the same text to see if I have the same problem.

Also, not sure if it helps, but the email notification I receive for a milestone submission also displays the characters correctly.

Community Guru
6 of 11

Back to the topic at hand... Smiley Happy

Valeria, my freelancer sent me exactly the same text in a regular message, and it was fine. So it does seem like it is just milestone submission messages that are broken.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 11

I clicked on your post because I thought maybe Yosemite Sam and Bugs Bunny were showing up in your message room ... or even better, Wily E. Coyote.

Smiley Wink

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
8 of 11

jHOSRWLQur7x.jpg

That's all Folks!

9 of 11

@John K wrote:

That's all Folks!

Thanks for reminding me of childhood Saturday mornings and of how old I am, John Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
10 of 11

@John K wrote:

jHOSRWLQur7x.jpg

That's all Folks!

Bugs is my absolute favorite.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS