🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Sue Upwork
Page options
0814a04f
Community Member

Sue Upwork

I spent thousands on Upwork for a con-artist freelancer who claimed he could deliver my project as described in the project description.

The project timeline was 1 to 3 months with clear, detailed deliverables. It's now a year later and they did not deliver a working application.

We were going back-and-forth for months - he tried claiming it works and when I showed it doesn't work with explicit screenshots, etc. he told me after a day or two that it should now be fixed while it was never fixed.

I contacted Upwork support over two months ago to get my money back, I showed them exactly what was going on with supporting evidence, they confirmed I was scammed by being charged thousands by freelancers who can't and don't plan on delivering the project deliverables, and to my surprise, all they offered was to pull me around the past couple of months just like my con-artist freelancer.

They kept on telling me something like: Oh, I see, let's contact him again and ask him again to fix it again...

I was fed up from playing these endless games and replied:

image.png

Their response though was something like: I can understand the frustration, wasted time, money and effort only to receive a non-working software bla, bla, bla... but we will do nothing to help you get your money back because this was an hourly project and according to Upwork term of services they are technically just a payment processing platform and they take responsibility what so ever.

I asked them a simple question: So I can technically go onto Upwork, claim that I build satellites, get a client to pay me $40 Billion for my so-called work and just walk away without doing my job if I do it on an hourly basis and Upwork will do nothing to help the scammed client get his money back?

Their response was nothing short of assuring that I'm 100% correct, I could scam Upwork clients without paying any consequences as long as I do it on an hourly basis.

I'd like to sue Upwork for:

1. Allowing freelancers to scam me on their platform.
  2. Doing nothing to help me get my money back - thus, supporting the con-artist freelancer.
  3. Still allowing the freelancer's agency and its employees to operate on Upwork without refunding my stolen money - thus, being able to scam new clients.
  4. Falsely marketing itself as a secure freelancer marketplace and dispute mediator in case it's needed and hiding the real face of Upwork in the terms of service.

Big tobacco firms were sued because of marketing smoking as a luxury while it is dangerous and not displaying a large, clear, bold warning message even though you were able to find a health warning in some legal terms and conditions fine print.

If you were involved in a recent lawsuit against Upwork please let me know how you went about it, attorney references, etc.

If you were involved in a similar dispute with Upwork, please let me know your story to join me in building the case against Upwrok in my lawsuit.

P.S. Upwork, I've shared this discussion link in other online networks, doing anything to try to remove/disable/hide etc. this discussion will only hurt.

81 REPLIES 81

Martin S wrote:

If Upwork does not care when people get scammed on their platform and instead reply like the ugly screenshot I provided above, they should be called out for it in public. Period.

Unfortunately it's a case of buyer beware. Here's a quote from the bottom of this page: https://www.upwork.com/legal#escrow-hourly

8. NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR SERVICES OR PAYMENTS
Upwork and Affiliates merely provide a platform for Internet payment services. Upwork and Affiliates do not have any responsibility or control over the Freelancer Services that Client purchases. Nothing in this Agreement deems or will be interpreted to deem Upwork or any Affiliate as Client’s or Freelancer’s agent with respect to any Freelancer Services, or expand or modify any warranty, liability or indemnity stated in the Terms of Service. For example, Upwork does not guarantee the performance, functionality, quality, or timeliness of Freelancer Services or that a Client can or will make payments.

Christine A wrote:

Martin S wrote:

If Upwork does not care when people get scammed on their platform and instead reply like the ugly screenshot I provided above, they should be called out for it in public. Period.

Unfortunately it's a case of buyer beware. Here's a quote from the bottom of this page: https://www.upwork.com/legal#escrow-hourly

8. NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR SERVICES OR PAYMENTS
Upwork and Affiliates merely provide a platform for Internet payment services. Upwork and Affiliates do not have any responsibility or control over the Freelancer Services that Client purchases. Nothing in this Agreement deems or will be interpreted to deem Upwork or any Affiliate as Client’s or Freelancer’s agent with respect to any Freelancer Services, or expand or modify any warranty, liability or indemnity stated in the Terms of Service. For example, Upwork does not guarantee the performance, functionality, quality, or timeliness of Freelancer Services or that a Client can or will make payments.

Not being responsible for the end product is one thing and openly allowing scamming on the platform is a whole different thing.

Rather than trying to learn how to use Upwork effectively, you seem more interested in (a) trying to change Upwork so that it fits your ideal; and / or (b) get revenge on Upwork because you had a disappointing experience while hiring.

In case it helps, you should know that Upwork does not openly allow scamming on the platform. Upwork has many systems and policies in place that reduce scamming.

One of the systems that Upwork has in place that applies to your situation is the ability that clients have to review the work done by freelancers every week. Clients may dispute time. Clients may also close contracts on freelancers at any time.

Effective clients regularly review the work done be all freelancers on their team and they continue working only with the freelancers who provide them with the best value. Or, better yet, their independent project managers do this on their behalf.

There can be no disputing the fact that you were disappointed by your hiring experience. But it would be a disservice if you or me or anyone misrepresented what services are actually offered by Upwork.

Preston H wrote:

In case it helps, you should know that Upwork does not openly allow scamming on the platform. Upwork has many systems and policies in place that reduce scamming.

By openly allowing I mean: I showed them exacty what happened in my situation, they know I was charged thousands for a non-deliverable and the freelancer is still active on Upwork with Upwork's open knowledge that he scammed me.

Preston H wrote:

One of the systems that Upwork has in place that applies to your situation is the ability that clients have to review the work done by freelancers every week. Clients may dispute time. Clients may also close contracts on freelancers at any time.

Not sure if you know what software development means, but in complexed projects it is impossible to know if the project will completed successfully within the withing a couple of days, it will always take some trial and error and a weekly review is senseless.

Preston H wrote:

There can be no disputing the fact that you were disappointed by your hiring experience. But it would be a disservice if you or me or anyone misrepresented what services are actually offered by Upwork.

Here's the problem:

Ask anyone what Upwork is and they'll tell you it's a freelancer marketplace.

Ask why they would hire a freelancer on Upwork vs directly and they'll tel you because of trust.

Upwork is marketing itself as a safe freelancer marketplace while they have no problem allowing fraudsters to operate on their platform. This is what they should be accountable for and this is what people should know before using them.

Hi Martin,

I'm really sorry about the issue you've had on your contract. I checked and do see out Dispute team followed up on the previous communication you've had with our Premium Support team and communicated with you in detail regarding the contract you initiated a dispute on. Please note that, unfortunately, we're not able to discuss dispute cases in the Community and have removed the private communication you've shared in one of your posts earlier in line with our Community Guidelines. I understand you're not satisfied with the outcome of the dispute but would encourage you to refer to the information our team provided on your ticket. Thank you.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Martin,

I'm really sorry about the issue you've had on your contract. I checked and do see out Dispute team followed up on the previous communication you've had with our Premium Support team and communicated with you in detail regarding the contract you initiated a dispute on. Please note that, unfortunately, we're not able to discuss dispute cases in the Community and have removed the private communication you've shared in one of your posts earlier in line with our Community Guidelines. I understand you're not satisfied with the outcome of the dispute but would encourage you to refer to the information our team provided on your ticket. Thank you.

I do not see a reply in my 'support' ticket and the reason my screenshot was removed has nothing to do with community guidelines, it was removed so people shouldn't see how nasty the support team responded.

Everybody else who ever copy-pasted a CS response in a forum thread since the dawn of mankind saw it removed to conform with Community Guidelines, but in your case it was removed because they didn't want anybody to know CS was not nice to you. Right.

Scammers gonna scam. Some FLers are gonna get in over their heads and fail to deliver. Some are gonna spot a gullible client and take him/her for a ride as long as they can. Some clients are gonna be flaky and change their minds (or fail to make up their minds to start with) and leave their FLs holding the unpaid bag. Stuff happens, on platforms like this and in the B&M world. We all have to find ways to "trust and verify" so projects have mutually successful outcomes. UW has certain tools in place to facilitate that but it is, first and last, up to each individual client and FL to take care of their own business.

What we need from UW is to up its game when it comes to screening out unqualified FLs and outright fake profiles. If they would do that, and the rest of us abide by best practices -- for instance, not continuing to pay an hourly contract for months on end when nothing is being delivered -- then fewer contracts will end in tears.

re: "I do not see a reply in my 'support' ticket and the reason my screenshot was removed has nothing to do with community guidelines, it was removed so people shouldn't see how nasty the support team responded."

Actually, that is not correct.

Upwork routinely removes all correspondence or communication screenshots from the Forum, particularly with customer support. That is standard policy.

Also, before it was removed, I read the discussion you posted. There was nothing nasty about it. The Customer Support personnel who have communicated with the original poster have been accurate, polite, patient and professional.

The original poster has had complaints about a freelancer he worked with. It is certainly possible that this was an underperforming freelancer, or even a fraudulent freelancer. But we have not actually been presented with any evidence to support such a conclusion.

The original poster said that he worked with a project manager.

Isn't this a very simple matter? If the development project failed or if the client wasted money, then the fault lies with the project manager.

re: "...abide by best practices -- for instance, not continuing to pay an hourly contract for months on end when nothing is being delivered..."

I completely agree.

A properly managed development project requires regular submission of work by each freelancer on the team, with the project manager reviewing and testing the work. The work should be demonstrated incrementally for the project owner. New functionality should be made available and tested continuously.

A project which is set up to be "all or nothing" and only demonstrated or tested at the very end is almost certainly doomed to fail. And of course that's no way to handle an hourly contract.

Martin S - I am in the exact same boat. Was just scammed out of $4,000 from a software engineer. I've been using Upwork for years and this is the first time this has happened. I'm in the middle of the Upwork dispute resolution process. It is really frustrating. My**Edited for community guidelines**-- please contact me and we can think about how to best get our money back.

Hi Adam,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with one of your Upwork contracts. I checked and see that our mediation team is assisting you through the process as you're communicating with your freelancer. I'll also follow up with them regarding your concern. 

I'd also like to note that we had to edit your post as sharing contact information isn't allowed here in the Community. 

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork

re: "Was just scammed out of $4,000 from a software engineer."

This is not possible unless the project manager was not doing their job at all.

Hello Martin - I'm trying to get in touch with you. I am going through a similar situation. Let's connect. Please private message me on the platform, or visit this website -- **Edited for community guidelines** -- 

Your right . Upwork is not the problem . It’s the freelancers . Unfortunately, the more fraud that occurres on this platform , the more the platform gets hurt . This opens up competition to upwork , which is a good thing . Word will get around .

Ron L wrote:
Your right . Upwork is not the problem . It’s the freelancers . Unfortunately, the more fraud that occurres on this platform , the more the platform gets hurt . This opens up competition to upwork , which is a good thing . Word will get around .

Well, I think fraud is 50% spread between freelancers and clients.
You just have to read the forums to see that there is also a lot of scoundrel customer.

Fraudulent freelancers and fraudulent clients both exist.

Fraudulent clients and freelancers are actually NOT A PROBLEM for experienced Upwork users.

Experienced freelancers are easily able to quickly identify and steer clear of the scammer "clients."

And experienced clients know how to manage contracts and freelancers without losing time and money to fraudsters.

The problem is with new users. New clients and new freelancers. Both of whom can run into big problems with fraudulent Upwork users. This IS a real problem. It is something Upwork grapples with regularly. It is something I have personally addressed and tried to help people with, as have many, many other regular Forum participants.

Upwork is definitely not "perfect," and the possibility that a newbie user might run into serious problems due to scammers/fraudsters (either client or freelancer) is one of the most serious "imperfections" present in the sytem. It's a lot better here than most other comparable sites. Upwork remains the industry leader. But it is unlikely that Upwork (or anybody) will ever be able to strike the perfect balance between freedom and security such that nobody will have a bad experience.

Preston, respectfully, Upwork is grossly negligent in failing to address the vulnerabilities present to new clients.

I see you in this thread talking frequently about the need for a project manager. That's all well and good, and the advice makes complete sense.

The problem is, this advice is nowhere in the onboarding materials OR FAQ's. I searched, and couldn't find anything that addresses the incompetence/fake hours scam, which most of the complaining folks in this thread fell prey to.

It would be so remarkably easy for Upwork to fix -- just code a little alert that pops up any time a client is about to start an hourly job. "Hey, we noticed you've just advertised an hourly job. Some things you should know!" Link me to a page that explains the vulnerability and suggests to me that I hire a project manager first, and include them in the job award process.

This change would be a win/win/win; Upwork gets increased revenues from people paying project managers and more happy clients; freelance project managers get work funneled to them; clients get increased satisfaction from well-managed jobs.

(^ This is me, as a person not affiliated with Upwork, that just off the top of my head came up with a single solution that solves everyone's problem. Why hasn't Upwork itself done this?)

Please, someone, escalate this suggestion up the chain. You (Upwork) will massively reduce your number of credit card chargebacks, which will increase your bottom line and improve your relationship with card processors.

Will K wrote:

Preston, respectfully, Upwork is grossly negligent in failing to address the vulnerabilities present to new clients.

I see you in this thread talking frequently about the need for a project manager. That's all well and good, and the advice makes complete sense.

The problem is, this advice is nowhere in the onboarding materials OR FAQ's. I searched, and couldn't find anything that addresses the incompetence/fake hours scam, which most of the complaining folks in this thread fell prey to.

It would be so remarkably easy for Upwork to fix -- just code a little alert that pops up any time a client is about to start an hourly job. "Hey, we noticed you've just advertised an hourly job. Some things you should know!" Link me to a page that explains the vulnerability and suggests to me that I hire a project manager first, and include them in the job award process.

This change would be a win/win/win; Upwork gets increased revenues from people paying project managers and more happy clients; freelance project managers get work funneled to them; clients get increased satisfaction from well-managed jobs.

(^ This is me, as a person not affiliated with Upwork, that just off the top of my head came up with a single solution that solves everyone's problem. Why hasn't Upwork itself done this?)

Please, someone, escalate this suggestion up the chain. You (Upwork) will massively reduce your number of credit card chargebacks, which will increase your bottom line and improve your relationship with card processors.

Like freelancers, clients must learn how the platform works.

In reality, most of the scammed clients who show up to complain haven't done their job.
Many of them say that they have not reviewed the work diary (if it is an hourly contract) until they have already cheated a lot of money, and they do not ask for work to be delivered to be able to verify it, or they do not verify it when a milestone is sended (fixed price job)
You can't blame Upwork for what you (clients) haven't done.
Upwork gives you the tools to monitor the work that the freelancer is doing.
And by this I do not mean that there are no scam freelancers.

Preston often says that you should hire a project manager. I'm not saying it's not a good idea for certain jobs, but the clients you've worked with haven't needed it. Both they and I have followed basic work rules that have not made it necessary.

Maria,

Upwork targets its marketing at people who don't have expertise. A lack of expertise is exactly why most people are on Upwork to begin with -- if we knew how to do it, or knew who to ask, we wouldn't be here.

If there are systems in place that can be used to scam non-technical newbies, then that needs to be addressed.

Blaming your customer for a lack of expertise, when that's the whole point of the platform, just makes Upwork look like they're deflecting the blame back onto their own customers.

Especially when, as I mentioned earlier, none of what you just said is presented in the sales or onboarding materials. I couldn't find any mention of the fake hours scam, or how to hedge against it, or the need for a project manager.

"We made the tools available" isn't good enough. You wouldn't set a newbie loose in a machine shop with no instruction on how to use any of the dangerous machines within.

As it currently stands, dishonest freelancers are using the automatic pay features to scam people. That needs to be addressed, either via better onboarding, a feature upgrade, or some combination of the two.

Hi Will,

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience on this contract. Our team will reach out to you via your registered email address to provide more assistance and a direct update.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

"Like freelancers, clients must learn how the platform works.

In reality, most of the scammed clients who show up to complain haven't done their job.
Many of them say that they have not reviewed the work diary (if it is an hourly contract) until they have already cheated a lot of money, and they do not ask for work to be delivered to be able to verify it, or they do not verify it when a milestone is sended (fixed price job)

Preston often says that you should hire a project manager. I'm not saying it's not a good idea for certain jobs, but the clients you've worked with haven't needed it. Both they and I have followed basic work rules that have not made it necessary."

@maria t what are your basic work rules?

Brandy B wrote:

"Like freelancers, clients must learn how the platform works.

Preston often says that you should hire a project manager. I'm not saying it's not a good idea for certain jobs, but the clients you've worked with haven't needed it. Both they and I have followed basic work rules that have not made it necessary."

@maria t what are your basic work rules?

Hi Brandy,

Before starting a contract, lots of questions to make sure I understand what the customer wants. And I also make sure I have all the necessary materials to start the job.

Because the interview has to make it clear to me that he is a client I can / want to work with.

Regarding the workflow, whether it is an hourly contract or a fixed price one (with or without milestones), I send the client progress of my work so they can see that I am doing it, how it is progressing and they can make corrections or changes on the fly (In my field, making a change when work is way ahead can be crazy)
If is a new customer, and is a bit lost in the portal, I will explain very briefly how it works and direct him to the help, to catch up.
All of this involves a lot of back and forth messages, but for me it is time well spent.

I also make it very clear to the client that, as I inform him, I hope that he will respond to me. If not, I threaten to flood they with messages until answer me Robot wink
I believe that speaking and informing the client builds mutual trust. The client will be calm because he sees that the work is progressing and I can work calmly because the client is satisfied with what they see.

Okay but I'm the client. So what questions do I ask developers to make sure that they're not going to do what happened to these guys? What are the basics there?

re: "Okay but I'm the client. So what questions do I ask developers to make sure that they're not going to do what happened to these guys? What are the basics there?"

None.

There are no questions to ask.

If you ask a scammer or if you ask a non-scammer:

"Are you a scammer?"

....you willl receive the same answer.

So don't ask.

Hire who you want to hire, and then manage the project properly.

highsociety
Community Member

Any progress with this at all?  I'm currently going through something very similar and wanted to follow up with you.

re: "I'm currently going through something very similar and wanted to follow up with you."

Scott:

You can indeed follow up in this very thread.

Tell us more about your specific situation so that we can provide appropriate advice.

Hi Scott,

I see you have a support ticket with our support team about an issue you had with one of your contracts. They just updated that ticket with more information today. If you have any further questions, feel free to reply to the agent directly.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello Scott,

i had the same issue. My issue get resolved my Bank help me out to create a chargeback. Upwork was not able to take the things what he has todo.

In my case i had a lot of screenshots:

The Freelancer has offer and told me he need x hours and give me a warrenty for it. But in the end he has wrote me like. Do your really has think that i'm able todo this in this time.

So the Freelancer had never the target to delivery me a work in the aggreed time rate only extract so much money how he can from a hourly base contract without value.

I have read a lot of exceptions after i forward the Case to the next FBI since them i hear nothing anymore from Upwork. Can be a investigation is ongoing. 

After some research i have found a lot of simmilar cases, the sad story about it that Upwork support this behaivior regarding the issue he get a lot of money and its doesnt matter if the customer get a value propper work for this. 

When a client uses hourly contracts and does not obtain value for the money he spends, then it means there is a project management problem.

Hey Preston,

i respect your personal mean. But can you please stop this **Edited for Community Guidelines** 

Please ready my Text Carefull if you have question please raise it. But if you dont have a clue about what we talking keep it.

The Point is in follow:

You hire some one, you check the work progress after some days you recognized that the aggreed time half over. You ask the Freelancer what happends he told you anything ok he will be in time. 

When you check the next days again, mostly the same state not really a progress and you stop the contract and open a Dispute that is all what you can do.

The Second point is as follow, Upwork offer a Escrow Service thats mean he hold the money. For that he has ensure that no Scamers use this Plattform. 

As Third Point: We have here a intresting conflict on side of Upwork. If he lost the Money he also lost the Commission. So there is not really a intress to change the situation. And i dont talk about the another things with fake Profiles and fake Certifikates and fake Skillls. They are a another topic.

I'm here because this just happened to me.

My freelancer misrepresented his skills, strung me along, and it took me until 9 weeks into the project to realize it, at which point I'm out $14,000. Several skilled developers have all confirmed that I was, in fact, scammed.

I used to be a freelancer, myself, so I understand why Upwork uses automatic payments. You have to make sure your freelancers get paid.

That being said, hourly billing and automatic payments don't turn fraud into "not fraud."

In this thread, people are being told, "you should have hired a project manager." In other words, "your own lack of expertise is to blame."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but... isn't a lack of expertise exactly why people use Upwork?

I'm here because Upwork is presented as the safe, newbie-friendly, all-purpose freelancing platform.

If a project manager is required to avoid being scammed, that should be front and center in the onboarding materials. "Hey, you're about to begin a technical job with hourly billing. Some things you should know!" You have to inform people as to the vulnerability.

To say, "well, it's your fault, you didn't do this essential thing that we never mentioned," is not acceptable.

As a business owner myself, I know that it never goes right 100% of the time. So when our product fails, we eat the cost. We don't turn around and blame our own customers; we do what it takes to make it right, because word of mouth matters.

I read that maybe I can get 30 days refunded, meaning I was only defrauded five weeks instead of nine. I am looking into disputing this charge through my credit card provider.

Hi Will,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I checked, and it looks like our team is already assisting you directly via ticket regarding the dispute submitted. The team will continue to assist you directly via ticket. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
3afd767c
Community Member

Martin,

Not sure if you are still active on this site, however, the same thing has recently happened to me. I am stunned by Upwork's incompetence. If you recieve this message, please reach out to me. I'd like to hear what ultimately happened with your project.

3afd767c
Community Member

For anyone else who stumbles upon this thread and has a similar story to the one Martin originally posted -- Please contact me **Edited for Community Guidelines**

My team was recently conned out of $4,000 in a similar fashion to everyone else who has posted here: 

It was granularly clear in my statement of work and contract requirements document that my payment was contigent on the completition of a task within a certain timeframe. I also made sure the contractor put this in writing. The task was not completed in the timeframe, and now the contractor wants additional payment to take the project to the finish line (I granted him a time extension which he refused). I disputed the contract well before the time deadline for such, and Upwork's "dispute mediation" was a total joke. 

My team has a lawyer, and depending on the outlooks of a potential class action lawsuit, we may be willing to file it. 

Well, I just went through Upwork's Mediation process.

To describe it as " adisappointing waste of time" would be putting it mildly.

The mediation specialist led with the question, "what more work would be required for you to be satisfied?"

My response, paraphrased: "He scammed me out of money, and is unable or unwilling to complete the project as described. What is there to talk about?"

The only thing the mediation team is empowered to do, apparently, is facilitate a conversation. There is no power whatsoever to adjudicate a dispute.

What a colossal waste of time.

I'm left with no choice but to file a chargeback with my card provider.

You had the choice to pay for arbitration. Upwork will certainly fight it since you haven't even tried arbitration yet.

So I should pay further out of pocket for the chance(!) to be made whole for being scammed?

No thanks?

Will K wrote:

So I should pay further out of pocket for the chance(!) to be made whole for being scammed?

No thanks?

So you signed the TOS when you joined, but you were lying? Who is the scammer now?

They actually won’t . Limited to 30 days after freelancer contract end date
d0ed513b
Community Member

Martin, I'm in the middle of the same kind of thing.  Money out, nothing to show.  I'll be party to your class action or any other litigation we can bring.

John

Latest Articles
Learning Paths