🐈
» Forums » Clients » Sue Upwork
Page options
0814a04f
Community Member

Sue Upwork

I spent thousands on Upwork for a con-artist freelancer who claimed he could deliver my project as described in the project description.

The project timeline was 1 to 3 months with clear, detailed deliverables. It's now a year later and they did not deliver a working application.

We were going back-and-forth for months - he tried claiming it works and when I showed it doesn't work with explicit screenshots, etc. he told me after a day or two that it should now be fixed while it was never fixed.

I contacted Upwork support over two months ago to get my money back, I showed them exactly what was going on with supporting evidence, they confirmed I was scammed by being charged thousands by freelancers who can't and don't plan on delivering the project deliverables, and to my surprise, all they offered was to pull me around the past couple of months just like my con-artist freelancer.

They kept on telling me something like: Oh, I see, let's contact him again and ask him again to fix it again...

I was fed up from playing these endless games and replied:

image.png

Their response though was something like: I can understand the frustration, wasted time, money and effort only to receive a non-working software bla, bla, bla... but we will do nothing to help you get your money back because this was an hourly project and according to Upwork term of services they are technically just a payment processing platform and they take responsibility what so ever.

I asked them a simple question: So I can technically go onto Upwork, claim that I build satellites, get a client to pay me $40 Billion for my so-called work and just walk away without doing my job if I do it on an hourly basis and Upwork will do nothing to help the scammed client get his money back?

Their response was nothing short of assuring that I'm 100% correct, I could scam Upwork clients without paying any consequences as long as I do it on an hourly basis.

I'd like to sue Upwork for:

1. Allowing freelancers to scam me on their platform.
  2. Doing nothing to help me get my money back - thus, supporting the con-artist freelancer.
  3. Still allowing the freelancer's agency and its employees to operate on Upwork without refunding my stolen money - thus, being able to scam new clients.
  4. Falsely marketing itself as a secure freelancer marketplace and dispute mediator in case it's needed and hiding the real face of Upwork in the terms of service.

Big tobacco firms were sued because of marketing smoking as a luxury while it is dangerous and not displaying a large, clear, bold warning message even though you were able to find a health warning in some legal terms and conditions fine print.

If you were involved in a recent lawsuit against Upwork please let me know how you went about it, attorney references, etc.

If you were involved in a similar dispute with Upwork, please let me know your story to join me in building the case against Upwrok in my lawsuit.

P.S. Upwork, I've shared this discussion link in other online networks, doing anything to try to remove/disable/hide etc. this discussion will only hurt.

81 REPLIES 81

Great.

You can reach me at **Edited for Community Guidelines** to discuss

Hi John,

I see that you already have a support ticket regarding your concern. It's already been escalated and the team will be assisting you directly.

All,

This thread has been closed from further replies and I'd like to note that posting deliberately disruptive and negative statements about Upwork and encouraging others to violate Upwork Terms of Service is against the Community Guidelines.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths