Did you mean: 

Sue Upwork

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Martin S Member Since: Nov 5, 2018
41 of 60

Christine A wrote:

Martin S wrote:

If Upwork does not care when people get scammed on their platform and instead reply like the ugly screenshot I provided above, they should be called out for it in public. Period.

Unfortunately it's a case of buyer beware. Here's a quote from the bottom of this page: https://www.upwork.com/legal#escrow-hourly

8. NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR SERVICES OR PAYMENTS
Upwork and Affiliates merely provide a platform for Internet payment services. Upwork and Affiliates do not have any responsibility or control over the Freelancer Services that Client purchases. Nothing in this Agreement deems or will be interpreted to deem Upwork or any Affiliate as Client’s or Freelancer’s agent with respect to any Freelancer Services, or expand or modify any warranty, liability or indemnity stated in the Terms of Service. For example, Upwork does not guarantee the performance, functionality, quality, or timeliness of Freelancer Services or that a Client can or will make payments.

Not being responsible for the end product is one thing and openly allowing scamming on the platform is a whole different thing.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
42 of 60

Rather than trying to learn how to use Upwork effectively, you seem more interested in (a) trying to change Upwork so that it fits your ideal; and / or (b) get revenge on Upwork because you had a disappointing experience while hiring.

In case it helps, you should know that Upwork does not openly allow scamming on the platform. Upwork has many systems and policies in place that reduce scamming.

One of the systems that Upwork has in place that applies to your situation is the ability that clients have to review the work done by freelancers every week. Clients may dispute time. Clients may also close contracts on freelancers at any time.

Effective clients regularly review the work done be all freelancers on their team and they continue working only with the freelancers who provide them with the best value. Or, better yet, their independent project managers do this on their behalf.

There can be no disputing the fact that you were disappointed by your hiring experience. But it would be a disservice if you or me or anyone misrepresented what services are actually offered by Upwork.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
43 of 60

Preston H wrote:

In case it helps, you should know that Upwork does not openly allow scamming on the platform. Upwork has many systems and policies in place that reduce scamming.

By openly allowing I mean: I showed them exacty what happened in my situation, they know I was charged thousands for a non-deliverable and the freelancer is still active on Upwork with Upwork's open knowledge that he scammed me.

Preston H wrote:

One of the systems that Upwork has in place that applies to your situation is the ability that clients have to review the work done by freelancers every week. Clients may dispute time. Clients may also close contracts on freelancers at any time.

Not sure if you know what software development means, but in complexed projects it is impossible to know if the project will completed successfully within the withing a couple of days, it will always take some trial and error and a weekly review is senseless.

Preston H wrote:

There can be no disputing the fact that you were disappointed by your hiring experience. But it would be a disservice if you or me or anyone misrepresented what services are actually offered by Upwork.

Here's the problem:

Ask anyone what Upwork is and they'll tell you it's a freelancer marketplace.

Ask why they would hire a freelancer on Upwork vs directly and they'll tel you because of trust.

Upwork is marketing itself as a safe freelancer marketplace while they have no problem allowing fraudsters to operate on their platform. This is what they should be accountable for and this is what people should know before using them.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
44 of 60

Hi Martin,

I'm really sorry about the issue you've had on your contract. I checked and do see out Dispute team followed up on the previous communication you've had with our Premium Support team and communicated with you in detail regarding the contract you initiated a dispute on. Please note that, unfortunately, we're not able to discuss dispute cases in the Community and have removed the private communication you've shared in one of your posts earlier in line with our Community Guidelines. I understand you're not satisfied with the outcome of the dispute but would encourage you to refer to the information our team provided on your ticket. Thank you.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
45 of 60

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Martin,

I'm really sorry about the issue you've had on your contract. I checked and do see out Dispute team followed up on the previous communication you've had with our Premium Support team and communicated with you in detail regarding the contract you initiated a dispute on. Please note that, unfortunately, we're not able to discuss dispute cases in the Community and have removed the private communication you've shared in one of your posts earlier in line with our Community Guidelines. I understand you're not satisfied with the outcome of the dispute but would encourage you to refer to the information our team provided on your ticket. Thank you.

I do not see a reply in my 'support' ticket and the reason my screenshot was removed has nothing to do with community guidelines, it was removed so people shouldn't see how nasty the support team responded.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
46 of 60

Everybody else who ever copy-pasted a CS response in a forum thread since the dawn of mankind saw it removed to conform with Community Guidelines, but in your case it was removed because they didn't want anybody to know CS was not nice to you. Right.

Scammers gonna scam. Some FLers are gonna get in over their heads and fail to deliver. Some are gonna spot a gullible client and take him/her for a ride as long as they can. Some clients are gonna be flaky and change their minds (or fail to make up their minds to start with) and leave their FLs holding the unpaid bag. Stuff happens, on platforms like this and in the B&M world. We all have to find ways to "trust and verify" so projects have mutually successful outcomes. UW has certain tools in place to facilitate that but it is, first and last, up to each individual client and FL to take care of their own business.

What we need from UW is to up its game when it comes to screening out unqualified FLs and outright fake profiles. If they would do that, and the rest of us abide by best practices -- for instance, not continuing to pay an hourly contract for months on end when nothing is being delivered -- then fewer contracts will end in tears.

Highlighted
Community Guru
47 of 60

re: "I do not see a reply in my 'support' ticket and the reason my screenshot was removed has nothing to do with community guidelines, it was removed so people shouldn't see how nasty the support team responded."

Actually, that is not correct.

Upwork routinely removes all correspondence or communication screenshots from the Forum, particularly with customer support. That is standard policy.

Also, before it was removed, I read the discussion you posted. There was nothing nasty about it. The Customer Support personnel who have communicated with the original poster have been accurate, polite, patient and professional.

The original poster has had complaints about a freelancer he worked with. It is certainly possible that this was an underperforming freelancer, or even a fraudulent freelancer. But we have not actually been presented with any evidence to support such a conclusion.

The original poster said that he worked with a project manager.

Isn't this a very simple matter? If the development project failed or if the client wasted money, then the fault lies with the project manager.

Highlighted
Community Guru
48 of 60

re: "...abide by best practices -- for instance, not continuing to pay an hourly contract for months on end when nothing is being delivered..."

I completely agree.

A properly managed development project requires regular submission of work by each freelancer on the team, with the project manager reviewing and testing the work. The work should be demonstrated incrementally for the project owner. New functionality should be made available and tested continuously.

A project which is set up to be "all or nothing" and only demonstrated or tested at the very end is almost certainly doomed to fail. And of course that's no way to handle an hourly contract.

Highlighted
Adam F Member Since: Sep 28, 2015
49 of 60

Martin S - I am in the exact same boat. Was just scammed out of $4,000 from a software engineer. I've been using Upwork for years and this is the first time this has happened. I'm in the middle of the Upwork dispute resolution process. It is really frustrating. My**Edited for community guidelines**-- please contact me and we can think about how to best get our money back.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
50 of 60

Hi Adam,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with one of your Upwork contracts. I checked and see that our mediation team is assisting you through the process as you're communicating with your freelancer. I'll also follow up with them regarding your concern. 

I'd also like to note that we had to edit your post as sharing contact information isn't allowed here in the Community. 

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS