Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sue Upwork

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
51 of 60

re: "Was just scammed out of $4,000 from a software engineer."

This is not possible unless the project manager was not doing their job at all.

Highlighted
Adam F Member Since: Sep 28, 2015
52 of 60

Hello Martin - I'm trying to get in touch with you. I am going through a similar situation. Let's connect. Please private message me on the platform, or visit this website -- **Edited for community guidelines** -- my full name is Adam Friedman. I'm a web developer in Somerville, Massachusetts. You can find me on LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.

Highlighted
Scott G Member Since: Oct 31, 2016
53 of 60

Any progress with this at all?  I'm currently going through something very similar and wanted to follow up with you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
54 of 60

re: "I'm currently going through something very similar and wanted to follow up with you."

Scott:

You can indeed follow up in this very thread.

Tell us more about your specific situation so that we can provide appropriate advice.

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
55 of 60

Hi Scott,

I see you have a support ticket with our support team about an issue you had with one of your contracts. They just updated that ticket with more information today. If you have any further questions, feel free to reply to the agent directly.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Rolf V Member Since: Jun 12, 2020
56 of 60

Hello Scott,

i had the same issue. My issue get resolved my Bank help me out to create a chargeback. Upwork was not able to take the things what he has todo.

In my case i had a lot of screenshots:

The Freelancer has offer and told me he need x hours and give me a warrenty for it. But in the end he has wrote me like. Do your really has think that i'm able todo this in this time.

So the Freelancer had never the target to delivery me a work in the aggreed time rate only extract so much money how he can from a hourly base contract without value.

I have read a lot of exceptions after i forward the Case to the next FBI since them i hear nothing anymore from Upwork. Can be a investigation is ongoing. 

After some research i have found a lot of simmilar cases, the sad story about it that Upwork support this behaivior regarding the issue he get a lot of money and its doesnt matter if the customer get a value propper work for this. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
57 of 60

When a client uses hourly contracts and does not obtain value for the money he spends, then it means there is a project management problem.

Highlighted
Rolf V Member Since: Jun 12, 2020
58 of 60

Hey Preston,

i respect your personal mean. But can you please stop this bull**bleep** ? 

Please ready my Text Carefull if you have question please raise it. But if you dont have a clue about what we talking keep it.

The Point is in follow:

You hire some one, you check the work progress after some days you recognized that the aggreed time half over. You ask the Freelancer what happends he told you anything ok he will be in time. 

When you check the next days again, mostly the same state not really a progress and you stop the contract and open a Dispute that is all what you can do.

The Second point is as follow, Upwork offer a Escrow Service thats mean he hold the money. For that he has ensure that no Scamers use this Plattform. 

As Third Point: We have here a intresting conflict on side of Upwork. If he lost the Money he also lost the Commission. So there is not really a intress to change the situation. And i dont talk about the another things with fake Profiles and fake Certifikates and fake Skillls. They are a another topic.

Highlighted
Will K Member Since: Oct 23, 2020
59 of 60

I'm here because this just happened to me.

My freelancer misrepresented his skills, strung me along, and it took me until 9 weeks into the project to realize it, at which point I'm out $14,000. Several skilled developers have all confirmed that I was, in fact, scammed.

I used to be a freelancer, myself, so I understand why Upwork uses automatic payments. You have to make sure your freelancers get paid.

That being said, hourly billing and automatic payments don't turn fraud into "not fraud."

In this thread, people are being told, "you should have hired a project manager." In other words, "your own lack of expertise is to blame."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but... isn't a lack of expertise exactly why people use Upwork?

I'm here because Upwork is presented as the safe, newbie-friendly, all-purpose freelancing platform.

If a project manager is required to avoid being scammed, that should be front and center in the onboarding materials. "Hey, you're about to begin a technical job with hourly billing. Some things you should know!" You have to inform people as to the vulnerability.

To say, "well, it's your fault, you didn't do this essential thing that we never mentioned," is not acceptable.

As a business owner myself, I know that it never goes right 100% of the time. So when our product fails, we eat the cost. We don't turn around and blame our own customers; we do what it takes to make it right, because word of mouth matters.

I read that maybe I can get 30 days refunded, meaning I was only defrauded five weeks instead of nine. I am looking into disputing this charge through my credit card provider.

Highlighted
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
60 of 60

Hi Will,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I checked, and it looks like our team is already assisting you directly via ticket regarding the dispute submitted. The team will continue to assist you directly via ticket. 

-Joanne
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS