Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion To Clients

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
1 of 34

Many who should read this may not, but hopefully some will which will be of assistance; at least that's my goal.  If you're a new Client on the Upwork platform or even if you're experienced (believe old dogs CAN learn new tricks), please find answers yourself vs. asking Freelancers.

There's an absolute wealth of information for you within "Help and Support" and the "Upwork Community;" including Webinars and Videos.  It's sincerely not Freelancers responsibilities to educate you regarding Upwork.

I began as a Freelancer with oDesk nearly 3 years ago.  (Upwork is a compilation of oDesk and Elance).  At that time I was required to pass the "oDesk Readiness Test for Independent Contractors" to participate as a Freelancer on the platform.  To accomplish that I reviewed quite a bit of information regarding oDesk's rules and regulations...  I didn't have a challenge doing that as I truly wanted to know them.  To begin as the best Freelancer I could I reviewed information within "Help and Support" and "Community" areas.  Since I want to continue to be successful and grow as a Freelancer on this site, I continue to do this.  I take responsibility as a Freelancer,

This may appear cold, but I'm on this site as a Freelancer to earn $'s performing my skills; NOT to answer Clients questions regarding Upwork while I'm on (or even worse off) the clock.  Both Client's and Freelancer's time is valuable.  In my opinion a major way Clients can show how serious you are regarding utilizing Upwork as a platform to locate talent for your opportunities would be by educating yourselves on policies and procedures.  You need to take responsibility as Clients.    

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
2 of 34

Pat, while I get that you personally prefer to not help Clients with Upwork, I'd like to state that some of us indeed do this, and don't see anything wrong with it.

On my end, having to do this does not happen often, as most of my client base is very familiar with Upwork. But I don't mind assisting when it's needed. One of my current clients didn't know how to add me as a recruiter, so I sent him a Client support page and we spoke on the phone briefly while he was setting this up.

I've also, over time, given clients a lot of good tips about how to post a job, qualifying freelancers, and lots of other advice.

While this sort of client support might not work well with your own services, I think at least being ready to offer a support page or provide advice is a good idea.

LOL last year I came across a freelancer who was helping NEW clients to Upwork get set up, and thought that was an interesting niche. I personally don't offer such a service right now, but I might in the future.

purplepony
Community Guru
3 of 34

Pandora H. wrote:

Pat, while I get that you personally prefer to not help Clients with Upwork, I'd like to state that some of us indeed do this, and don't see anything wrong with it.

On my end, having to do this does not happen often, as most of my client base is very familiar with Upwork. But I don't mind assisting when it's needed. One of my current clients didn't know how to add me as a recruiter, so I sent him a Client support page and we spoke on the phone briefly while he was setting this up.

I've also, over time, given clients a lot of good tips about how to post a job, qualifying freelancers, and lots of other advice.

While this sort of client support might not work well with your own services, I think at least being ready to offer a support page or provide advice is a good idea.

LOL last year I came across a freelancer who was helping NEW clients to Upwork get set up, and thought that was an interesting niche. I personally don't offer such a service right now, but I might in the future.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Pandora, I can certainly understand and appreciate what you've shared.  As you know, we're all entitled to our opinions; my post regarding this subject is mine.  Perhaps I've become somewhat soured by the amount of "volunteer work" I've done throughout my life.  I'm sure some will agree with me regarding this post and some won't.  Being individuals makes the world go round, right? Smiley Happy

The Freelancer helping new Clients w/ Upwork is an interesting niche!  From posts I've read that you've done I sincerely think you'd be exceptional at that! 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 34

Well, personally I love helping my clients to get the best out of using the site.

To me it is part of my service and it makes for a good client experience.

What goes around comes around. A client who had a great experience working with me, and learned a bit about how to run his contracts smoothly, will be more confident and competent working with the next freelancer. I'd have hoped that a relatively new client who hires me had a similarly confidence and competence building experience with the previous freelancer they worked with.

If you don't feel like doing that, simply restrict yourself to working with long established clients, then you don't have to.

purplepony
Community Guru
5 of 34

Petra R. wrote:

Well, personally I love helping my clients to get the best out of using the site.

To me it is part of my service and it makes for a good client experience.

What goes around comes around. A client who had a great experience working with me, and learned a bit about how to run his contracts smoothly, will be more confident and competent working with the next freelancer. I'd have hoped that a relatively new client who hires me had a similarly confidence and competence building experience with the previous freelancer they worked with.

If you don't feel like doing that, simply restrict yourself to working with long established clients, then you don't have to.

________________________________________________________________________________________________
Petra, you've expressed some nice sentiments; and "in a perfect world..."   We can wish, right?

Of course I understand what you've shared regarding working with long established clients.  However, several of those have asked me questions as well vs. finding the answers themselves.  This has occurred during conversations as a result of my accepting Invitations to Interview or initiating application as well as after beginning projects.  The only actual Client that didn't ask me questions of that nature was my first one.  

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
6 of 34

Just playing devil's advocate here, but I think this post could be viewed negatively by potential clients.  Of course, you have to run your business in a way that works best for you and I don't disagree with your sentiments in that regard.

That said, putting this out on a public forum might not be in your best interests in the long term. 

purplepony
Community Guru
7 of 34

Christy A. stated:

Just playing devil's advocate here, but I think this post could be viewed negatively by potential clients.  Of course, you have to run your business in a way that works best for you and I don't disagree with your sentiments in that regard.

That said, putting this out on a public forum might not be in your best interests in the long term. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for your comments, Christy.  As a mature, responsible adult who honestly thought my post through for a few days prior to posting it, I'm fully aware of it's content...  

I realize that there'll be both Freelancers and Clients that will agree as well as disagree with my thoughts.  Certainly that's everyone's right.

I've always been known as being a very honest individual; most people have appreciated that.  Of course there's also been those that haven't appreciated that.  "You can't please all of the people all of the time."  Pleasing myself with always being able to "squarely look at myself in the mirror" has always been important to me.  I've accomplished that with my initial post and sincerely hope that the post/thread will assist others as that was my intent.  
anima9
Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
8 of 34

I agree with you but if my helping them will convert to more $$$ for me then I'd gladly give them all the help they can get. You're basically teaching them how to put money in your wallet.

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
9 of 34

I don't like spending time combing through client help pages when my clients don't know how to do things, especially because I'm not familiar with the client side of Upwork.

But I do it anyway, because it's usually in my best interests (even though they could have easily looked up the same help guides themselves). 

In my opinion, the problem seems to be that the site is not very intuitive for new or even well-established clients and freelancers. That, or maybe we're just lazy :-/

anima9
Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
10 of 34

Or maybe because we live in a time where spoonfeeding adults is considered politically correct/basic right haha

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS