Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Suggestion To Clients

vdubeau
Community Guru
Vince D Member Since: Feb 18, 2016
21 of 34

I like Preston's analogy. I have another take on it.

 

I used to like to go to CompUSA (a now defunct retail computer chain). At the time I was a mainframe consultant but also did PC development. Many times I would hear customers trying to figure out something like what the specs on a PC meant. Even worse was hearing a sales person who apparently knew as much about computers as a caveman giving customer advice (not Upwork of course).

 

I would take the time to introduce myself and talk to the customer, give a some advice to establish some trust in my knowledge and give them my business card. Sometimes this brought in work.

 

So I view Upwork as the "Main Store" so to speak and we as freelancers being the knowledgable customer giving a little help to another customer.

"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
22 of 34

The analogy and argument are specious.

 

You can go to a store, let's say a DIY store. You can ask where the nails are or the paint or the hammers - anyone, whether staff or willing customer,  will tell you where to find them. However, neither the store nor the staff are responsible for how you use these items. If you do not know how to hammer a nail or paint, because you have not read the instructions, then that, as a client, is your problem.

 

You can go to a drugstore and ask where to find the ibuprofen - a member of staff or willing customer will tell you where to find it. If you do not read the instructions as to how to take it, the possibly bad consequences cannot be laid at the door of the drugstore, the member of staff, or the willing customer.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
23 of 34


@Vince D wrote:

I like Preston's analogy. I have another take on it.

 

I used to like to go to CompUSA (a now defunct retail computer chain). At the time I was a mainframe consultant but also did PC development. Many times I would hear customers trying to figure out something like what the specs on a PC meant. Even worse was hearing a sales person who apparently knew as much about computers as a caveman giving customer advice (not Upwork of course).

 

I would take the time to introduce myself and talk to the customer, give a some advice to establish some trust in my knowledge and give them my business card. Sometimes this brought in work.

 

So I view Upwork as the "Main Store" so to speak and we as freelancers being the knowledgable customer giving a little help to another customer.


 CompUSA was so so soooo awesome. It sucked so bad when they went out of business. 

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
24 of 34

Interesting...

 

I just send them links from the help forum if they need to know how to close a contract, etc.

 

But, there's been only one in recent memory who just couldn't understand how the process worked. In the end, even after I sent her links and did a bit of a task analysis (not a big deal for me, I used to do it for behavioral plans), she wasn't quite fully functioning in the Upwork way (she wouldn't just fund escrow, she'd release the funds all in one swoop; I'm not complaining since she paid me in full, in advance).

 

Overall, I'm not running into such clients on a frequent basis. 

 

Maybe you just look so friendly that they can't resist, Pat? 

 

 

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
25 of 34

Kat C stated:

 

Interesting...

 

I just send them links from the help forum if they need to know how to close a contract, etc.

 

But, there's been only one in recent memory who just couldn't understand how the process worked. In the end, even after I sent her links and did a bit of a task analysis (not a big deal for me, I used to do it for behavioral plans), she wasn't quite fully functioning in the Upwork way (she wouldn't just fund escrow, she'd release the funds all in one swoop; I'm not complaining since she paid me in full, in advance).

 

Overall, I'm not running into such clients on a frequent basis. 

 

Maybe you just look so friendly that they can't resist, Pat? 

______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Kat, the funny thing is that for whatever reason(s) this type of thing has happened most of my life.  For instance even as just a Freshman in college, many used to come to my dorm room asking advice on this or that.  Perhaps I should post a photo of scowl-faced Pat on my Profile instead-lol! 

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
26 of 34

@Pat M wrote:

Kat C stated:

 

Interesting...

 

I just send them links from the help forum if they need to know how to close a contract, etc.

 

But, there's been only one in recent memory who just couldn't understand how the process worked. In the end, even after I sent her links and did a bit of a task analysis (not a big deal for me, I used to do it for behavioral plans), she wasn't quite fully functioning in the Upwork way (she wouldn't just fund escrow, she'd release the funds all in one swoop; I'm not complaining since she paid me in full, in advance).

 

Overall, I'm not running into such clients on a frequent basis. 

 

Maybe you just look so friendly that they can't resist, Pat? 

______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Kat, the funny thing is that for whatever reason(s) this type of thing has happened most of my life.  For instance even as just a Freshman in college, many used to come to my dorm room asking advice on this or that.  Perhaps I should post a photo of scowl-faced Pat on my Profile instead-lol! 


Catch-22, right?

 

You want professional "hire me" Pat picture.

 

At the same time, if you appear TOO friendly...then frustration can ensue.

 

I understand. Some people have that "they look so friendly and approachable vibe." 

 

Even when I'm not smiling (and I've been told when I don't smile I look like I'm going to kill someone; but, this is not my personality overall...I'm more like Spock than Ted Bundy), people still approach me and ask for help. 

 

Especially kids (from my days of being a K-12 teacher I suppose!). 

 

 

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
27 of 34

Kat, some of my best friends are Vulcans.  Smiley Happy

mensahkontoh
Ace Contributor
Mensah K Member Since: Oct 23, 2016
28 of 34

There is a quick way I use to help  my new client. That is by sending him/her the upwork help link relating to the question.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
29 of 34

Pat, because you posted this in the forum I initially thought you meant clients shouldn't use the forum to ask questions and I was like "huh?' But then I realised that you meant clients shouldn't ask freelancers they've hired/plan to hire stuff about how the platform works.

 

I think you've already received a lot of good responses. I can see both sides. As a client I've both received advice from and given advice to freelancers.

 

One more thing I wanted to add - the people who *need* to read this probably don't frequent the forums (there's very few clients here in general), and are probably also not going to read something that's quite long and comes across as a bit patronising.

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
30 of 34

Jennifer D. wrote:

 

Pat, because you posted this in the forum I initially thought you meant clients shouldn't use the forum to ask questions and I was like "huh?' But then I realised that you meant clients shouldn't ask freelancers they've hired/plan to hire stuff about how the platform works.

 

I think you've already received a lot of good responses. I can see both sides. As a client I've both received advice from and given advice to freelancers.

 

One more thing I wanted to add - the people who *need* to read this probably don't frequent the forums (there's very few clients here in general), and are probably also not going to read something that's quite long and comes across as a bit patronising.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Jennifer, I'm glad you eventually realized the meaning of my post.  I knew you were a smart girl! Woman Wink 

 

I've not been an Upwork client to date; however, I've hired numerous individuals throughout the years in my own business and as manager/supervisor in others.  Frankly, I would never ask those I hire to educate me regarding information I should be responsible for learning myself.  In my opinion more clients need to utilize the Upwork tools available to them.

 

As you know, there are posts longer than mine was.  Also, as my OP stated, my intention was to be of assistance.  If I came across as patronizing, perhaps it may at least partially be due to the fact that at 61 I've had numerous experiences throughout my life.  Many at even less than my age and beyond believe they've earned the right to be patronizing/condescending.  I'm not stating that I have, but at least some of my phraseologies may make more sense to you as (God willing) you approach my age. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS