Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Suggestion To Clients

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
31 of 34

@Pat M wrote:

@Jennifer D. wrote:

 

Pat, because you posted this in the forum I initially thought you meant clients shouldn't use the forum to ask questions and I was like "huh?' But then I realised that you meant clients shouldn't ask freelancers they've hired/plan to hire stuff about how the platform works.

 

I think you've already received a lot of good responses. I can see both sides. As a client I've both received advice from and given advice to freelancers.

 

One more thing I wanted to add - the people who *need* to read this probably don't frequent the forums (there's very few clients here in general), and are probably also not going to read something that's quite long and comes across as a bit patronising.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Jennifer, I'm glad you eventually realized the meaning of my post.  I knew you were a smart girl! Woman Wink 

 

I've not been an Upwork client to date; however, I've hired numerous individuals throughout the years in my own business and as manager/supervisor in others.  Frankly, I would never ask those I hire to educate me regarding information I should be responsible for learning myself.  In my opinion more clients need to utilize the Upwork tools available to them.

 

As you know, there are posts longer than mine was.  Also, as my OP stated, my intention was to be of assistance.  If I came across as patronizing, perhaps it may at least partially be due to the fact that at 61 I've had numerous experiences throughout my life.  Many at even less than my age and beyond believe they've earned the right to be patronizing/condescending.  I'm not stating that I have, but at least some of my phraseologies may make more sense to you as (God willing) you approach my age. 


 

Pat, I think that's the second time you've pulled the "age card" on me. You don't automatically learn everything as you get older. Being older than me doesn't mean you are wiser or more knowledgeable than me (or anyone else on this forum). You even admitted that you haven't been a client on Upwork. So I have several years more experience as a client here than you do.

 

Are you saying that you've never learned anything from anyone you've ever hired? If that's the case, I feel sorry for both you and the people you've hired.

 

But in any case, the relationship between clients and freelancers here is *not* an employer/employee relationship. Clients are entering into a *partnership* with a freelancer to provide them professional services.

 

Let's look at an analogy. Let's say I hire a local architect to design me a house. They offer a "design and build" service, where they also partner with a builder to build their design. Now, they've completed their design. They give it to me and say "come back once you've got council approval and we can start work with the builder". I would, of course, have questions... Where do I submit the plans for council approval? Is there a cost involved? How long would it take? If their answer to these questions is "go educate yourself" then I am probably not going to be a happy client. While it may not be part of their actual service, I would expect them to have knowledge of the general process and to at least be able to point me in the right direction.

 

Of course, if don't want to educate your clients, you don't have to! You can tell the client to go educate themselves. But I expect that this would probably affect both their rating of you and their chance of being a repeat client.

 

(PS: Also, as that Other Jennifer pointed out, calling someone a "smart girl" is *always* going to be patronising. It's not just "coming across" as patronising. It *is* patronising. Please don't do that.)

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
32 of 34

Jennifer D. wrote:

 

Pat, I think that's the second time you've pulled the "age card" on me. You don't automatically learn everything as you get older. Being older than me doesn't mean you are wiser or more knowledgeable than me (or anyone else on this forum). You even admitted that you haven't been a client on Upwork. So I have several years more experience as a client here than you do.

 

Are you saying that you've never learned anything from anyone you've ever hired? If that's the case, I feel sorry for both you and the people you've hired.

 

But in any case, the relationship between clients and freelancers here is *not* an employer/employee relationship. Clients are entering into a *partnership* with a freelancer to provide them professional services.

 

Let's look at an analogy. Let's say I hire a local architect to design me a house. They offer a "design and build" service, where they also partner with a builder to build their design. Now, they've completed their design. They give it to me and say "come back once you've got council approval and we can start work with the builder". I would, of course, have questions... Where do I submit the plans for council approval? Is there a cost involved? How long would it take? If their answer to these questions is "go educate yourself" then I am probably not going to be a happy client. While it may not be part of their actual service, I would expect them to have knowledge of the general process and to at least be able to point me in the right direction.

 

Of course, if don't want to educate your clients, you don't have to! You can tell the client to go educate themselves. But I expect that this would probably affect both their rating of you and their chance of being a repeat client.

 

(PS: Also, as that Other Jennifer pointed out, calling someone a "smart girl" is *always* going to be patronising. It's not just "coming across" as patronising. It *is* patronising. Please don't do that.)

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Jennifer, I never stated I was wiser or more knowledgeable than you or anyone else on the forum due to my age or otherwise.  If truth be known, I'm confident there's subjects you're more knowledgeable in than I and vice versa.

 

Also, I never said that I'd never learned anything from anyone I've ever hired.  I said "...I would never ask those I hire to educate me regarding information I should be responsble for learning myself."

 

Of course I realize the relationship between clients and freelancers here is not an employer/employee relationship and am quite familiar with such an arrangement and the differences.  Jennifer, I've had numerous, happy clients throughout the years; including well before me being associated with oDesk/Upwork.

 

 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
33 of 34

@Jennifer D wrote:

Pat, because you posted this in the forum I initially thought you meant clients shouldn't use the forum to ask questions and I was like "huh?' But then I realised that you meant clients shouldn't ask freelancers they've hired/plan to hire stuff about how the platform works.

 

I think you've already received a lot of good responses. I can see both sides. As a client I've both received advice from and given advice to freelancers.

 

One more thing I wanted to add - the people who *need* to read this probably don't frequent the forums (there's very few clients here in general), and are probably also not going to read something that's quite long and comes across as a bit patronising.


 LOL First thread chastising freelancers, and now clients. Many LOLs were had at the OP.  How about that "I knew you were a smart girl" response, heh? LOL

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
34 of 34

Jennifer M. wrote:

 

LOL First thread chastising freelancers, and now clients. Many LOLs were had at the OP.  How about that "I knew you were a smart girl" response, heh? LOL

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Many LOL's had at you too, Jennifer M.  Enjoy! Smiley Happy

 
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS