🐈
» Forums » Clients » Support Upwork
Page options
fc8b9608
Community Member

Support Upwork

I found **Edited for Community Guidelines** through upwork. She said that the Upwork rules say I need to pay her in U.S. dollars. I e-transferred her $300 USD to her office according to her requirements. I send to her my date of birth and exact date of the incident . Before her writing, I told her to carefully read all the legal documents I sent to her. I hope she can write this story to its fullest. She said in email she has written press releases in the past. The second day, she sent me a PDF. There are a lot of mistake, including her changing the date of the case, the name of the person involved, the details of the case, and the legal terms. She written a wrong story, because this seems like some copied generic complaint. It took my weeks of contact to her, and yet it doesn't live up to the expectations.

I also found that we signed an invalid contract because she had written my name wrong. I send a email to her, I have difficulty getting reply from her. So I contacted the Complaints Services department of the Upwork may be able to help me with this.

The Upwork said science freelancers who use the platform are not employees of Upwork, refunds would be issued by the freelancers themselves.We do have a dispute process, however in part, the qualifications include a contract on the site and payments must be paid on the Upwork platform. Dispute an Agency or Freelancer’s Hours

In this case, since there was no contract on the platform and the freelancer was paid offsite, our options are limited. If you choose to pursue the freelancer legally, Upwork will cooperate with official legal requests. requests.

**Edited for Community Guidelines** is a registered member of your company, we were use of Upwork tool for business communications. you have the right to deal with her deception of Upwork registered customers, you need to protect the client. she asked me to pay in U.S. dollars in the manner required by the Upwork company. If it’s an out of account payment, why did she email me to tell me to follow Upwork rules ?

She should refund me, In Canada, If the Law Society refer her to me, I don't need pay the US dollar to her. The Upwork Service should solve my refund issue.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Grace, 

I see that you already have a support ticket for your case. Please consider following up on your open ticket and kindly communicate through that ticket if you have any questions so that the team can assist you more effectively.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
petra_r
Community Member

Grace L wrote:
I found xxxxxxxx through upwork. She said that the Upwork rules say I need to pay her in U.S. dollars. I e-transferred her $300 USD to her office according to her requirements

On Upwork, you pay freelancers through Upwork and no other way. By paying her outside Upwork you have violated the terms of service and you have absolutely no recourse through Upwork, who you have cheated out of their commission. You will likely get suspended from the platform for recklessly defrauding Upwork.

This means you are on your own here. Next time you decide to defraud a company, don't run to them for help when your fraud misfires.

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Grace,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened. I checked and it seems that our team already reached out to you directly via a support ticket a while ago. Please refer to the support ticket for more information.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi, this my fist time to hired a writer on Upwork, She gave me her email address and phone number, and she also called me few time. This not my fault. Thanks!

I used upwork's platform to find a legal writer and she didn't follow upwork's rules. And now upwork can't serve their customers? **edited for Community Guidelines** is a registered member of your company, we were use of Upwork tool for business communications. you have the right to deal with her deception of Upwork registered customers, you need to protect the client. she asked me to pay in U.S. dollars in the manner required by the Upwork company. If it’s an out of account payment, why did she email me to tell me to follow Upwork rules ? I am also your registered user. Please solve this issue. Thanks!

**Edited for community guidelines**

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Grace,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this freelancer. Please refer to the information shared within your last support ticket with our team and consider following up directly on it if you have any questions, in order to keep all the information in one place.

I've also followed up with the team handling your case.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
fc8b9608
Community Member

Hi, I hope you can help solve this problem. Thanks!

Grace L wrote:
Hi, I hope you can help solve this problem. Thanks!

The problem is that as a client on this platform and a registered user yourself, you agreed to the TOS, including not sending payments outside of Upwork. You broke the TOS, and circumvented Upwork's system, so there is nothing they can do to help you. Next time obey the TOS and don't send payments off Upwork, and if there is a problem, then Upwork can help you. As it is, there is nothing they can do really, because you didn't use the site. But you probably shouldn't use Upwork anymore because you don't seem to understand that you, yourself, scammed Upwork and are now complaining to them that the partner in your scam, the freelancer, scammed you too. 

fc8b9608
Community Member

Hi, you still haven’t solved my problem. I used Upwork website and it was my first time using it. The writer was familiar with your rules, and right now they broke it. Shouldn’t you be responsible for that? They wanted me to pay them based on Upwork’s rules. I sent an email to upwork to confirm if I needed to pay in USD or CAD but no one replied. And so I went based on what she wanted.

Hi Grace, 

I see that you already have a support ticket for your case. Please consider following up on your open ticket and kindly communicate through that ticket if you have any questions so that the team can assist you more effectively.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
fc8b9608
Community Member

Hi, can I make a complaint ?

Grace L wrote:
Hi, can I make a complaint ?

Of course. We're all ears. 🙂 

petra_r
Community Member

Grace wrote:
Hi, you still haven’t solved my problem. I used Upwork website.

No, you didn't use Upwork. You circumvented Upwork, violating Upwork's terms of service while doing so. Upwork won't "solve your problem" as they weren't involved in the transaction. 

Shouldn’t you be responsible for that? 

No, of course Upwork is not responsible for that. You can't cheat a company and then expect them to be responsible for your accomplice cheating you in turn.

This is between you and the person you paid and has nothing to do with Upwork, other than the fact that you acted in violation of Upwork's terms of service. 

Grace:

We can not help you because we don't know what you are talking about.

This is the Upwork Community Forum. This is not a channel for contacting a specific individual.

If you want help, you need to explain your situation more fully.

Or you can just clear things up by replying and saying "Whoops. I posted here by mistake."

Edited to add: Ah, your post makes more sense now that moderators have combined your various posts into a single thread. It looks like you were opening entirely new threads when creating new posts intended to be added to threads.

Reading all of your posts together, it looks like you are Grace, and you are a client. And you tried to hire a freelancer named Rahma. And you posted the message that this freelancer sent to you, in which she states that she doesn't haggle on price.

Hi, I already sent the Upwork team my complaint but nothing has been done or solved so far, so O guess I’ll send it here. This writer should be following your rules but she broke them. Shouldn’t this platform be responsible?

re: "Shouldn’t this platform be responsible?"

The platform does its best.

But ultimately: The platform is what it is.

It is better than many other platforms. But it is not perfect.

For the sake of your future success:

It doesn't matter if the platform is responsible or not.

Because you know more about how to use the platform now.

For example, you know now that you should never send money directly to freelancers.

You know that you can come here to the Forum to ask questions and get advice.

You know that YOU can take control of things.
As a client, you have all the power.
You can use that power to achieve your goals. This includes using your power to screen freelancers and using your power to fire freelancers whenever you want to.

As a client, I have hired over 100 freelancers on Upwork.

Because I know how the platform works, I am able to avoid the problems that you had.

You could increase your success simply by following these simple rules:

- do not pay money to freelancers off-platform

- use hourly contracts only

- carefully evaluate a freelancer's work early on and fire the freelancer if you do not highly value their work

Once you have gained some more experience and/or knowledge, you can move on to more advanced techniques such as fixed-price contracts.

Thanks for your advice, but unfortunately not everyone is as lucky as you.

Respectfully, Grace, it is nothing to do with ‘luck.’ It is about following the rules of the platform with which you signed a contract. Your broke the rules, whether in ignorance or not, and that is why you can’t expect them to help you now. I would recommend learning more about Upwork before using it in the future - starting with the terms of service.
Latest Articles
Learning Paths