cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch account from Freelancer to Client??

Highlighted
Neil H Member Since: May 10, 2017
1 of 18

I signed up recently, never intending to be a freelancer, but I clearly selected the wrong option at the start of the sign up process. Now, I'm stuck and can't seem to find how to switch my account from freelancer to client. I've followed the help article on the issue, but the link they direct me to in order to "Create company" does not seem to exist. 

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067558-Can-I-be-both-a-freelancer-doing-work-and-a-c...

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 18

Neil,

You should be able to go to your Settings and create a new client account using the link in the bottom left corner.

Screenshot_21.png

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Valentina D Member Since: Aug 27, 2016
3 of 18

Hi everyone,

My client invited me to her team to help her hire someone for another project. I followed the advice above and created a client account. However, I can't access it. First I got this error:

err.PNG

And now it keeps redirecting me to my freelancer homepage.

Oh, and I can't talk to CS either because the "get help" button isn't working. So awkward...

Any help would be highly appreciated! 

Thanks Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
4 of 18

Hi Valentina,

If the client has added you to their team and set up permissions for you as described here, you would not need to create a client account. Once you are a team member then you should be able to toggle between the client company and your freelancer account in the upper right corner.

~Nina
Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 18

Hi Nina,

Thanks for responding, but I'm afraid there must be something else too. She invited me via email 

invite.PNGI followed the link and ended up on my freelancer homepage. Naturally, I assumed I needed to create a client account, which I did (and it is working properly since I've...erm...cleared cache and cookies--seriously), but wasn't able to access her job posting. What could be the issue?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
6 of 18

Valentina,

Are you able to see the client's company in the upper right hand corner or are you only able to access the client account that you've created? If permissions have been set up from their end, you should be able to see that company there in addition to your own client account.

~Nina
Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 18

No, I can only see the client company I created, but I know for certain she has invited me twice Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
8 of 18

Hello Valentina,

I have escalated your concern. One of our team representatives will reach out to you shortly. Thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 18

Valentina,

I was just wondering if the client is inviting you using the email address that's acossiated with your Upwork account or your user ID? If they are inviting you via a different email address, the company won't get added to your account.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 18

Hi Valeria,

Initially, she invited me using another email address, but I immediately figured out it wasn't going to work and told her to use the email address associated with my account, which she did. 

We still haven't managed to make it work and the support isn't responding... 

Thank you.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS