cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TFS, Git & SVN

Chris C Member Since: Apr 18, 2015
1 of 2

Hi,

I am looking to hire a freelancer to do some .NET developement for my company. I have a large amount of code already sitting in a couple of TFS repositories. A lot of this code is reasonably advanced stuff, and we want a freelancer to work on the more basic items while a team here does the rest.

I'm looking for advice or someone with previous experience on how best to manage giving access to some one I dont know. 

Here are some of my thoughts and I wanted to see if this is an approach other people have taken or if there is any better way.

1) As far as i know oDesk doesnt have any source control integration to track work done. So i am assuming I will have to give whoever works on my code access rights offline from oDesk? 

2) In order to keep the majority of our code hidden and just the parts we need worked on, I will create a secondary repository with the bigger features removed, and only give access to this. I will then manually merge any changes back in with our main branch.

3) i'd be asking for daily check-ins, along with a summary of what they completed that day and what they plan on doing the next day. 

4) I will then have to compare time logged in oDesk with work checked in to TFS?

This seems reasonably structured.  Has any one had experince working like this, or found another way works better?

Any suggenstions welcomed.

thanks

Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
2 of 2

Hi Chris, you are on the right track.

You have to maintain the codebase offline. oDesk does not support anything like that.

I suggest you go in to 3 to 4 day’s sprint or longer if possible.
Before you start the sprint  you get an estimation from the developer and then set the sprint. At the end of the sprint you can review the codes. This has the advantage of not needing to track the hours everyday as you have the estimation.

Just follow scrum as it’s a proven methods. I myself prefer 2 weeks sprint as meetings, communications, reporting and hour logging takes time. So longer sprints allows the developer to focus on tasks and gives flexibility at the same time.

Hope this helps you to decide.
Happy working on oDesk.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS