🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Taking Freelancers Off Upwork
Page options
moonraker
Community Member

Taking Freelancers Off Upwork

Can somebdoy please update me on the process and what I need to do to avoid breaking the TOS? Just want to be sure. This is for freelancers who have been with me for more than 2 years. 

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
PradeepH

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here .

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

I don't need an agent.

Why can't somebody just answer my question here?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jamie, 

As a client you can initiate the conversion of your contract by following the steps below: 

1. Go to Jobs > All Contracts
  2. Choose a specific contract under All contracts and select the (…) menu
  3. Select the Request Contract Conversion button to start the conversion process
  4. Follow the steps outlined and send the conversion request. The other party will be notified and must accept the request. We’ll then process the payment and notify you when the conversion process is complete 

You may read more about it here.

~ Avery
Upwork
moonraker
Community Member

Support did not answer my question anyway. 

They have sent me details on how to do it, which is not what I asked. 

I need to know what the criteria are so I don't break TOS. I know I must have worked with the freelancer for two years or longer, but are there other criteria I must meet?

Do I need to just trawl through it all myself? 

re: They have sent me details on how to do it, which is not what I asked.

You asked for the process

re: I need to know what the criteria are so I don't break TOS. I know I must have worked with the freelancer for two years or longer, but are there other criteria I must meet?

According to the help article Avery provided you, you would only have to pay for the $1  Conversion fee.

Thanks Sophie, I found it from Avery's link. 

Quite why they felt the need to waste support's time is beyond me. But I have the answer I was looking for so that'll do fine. 

The other requirement is to follow the process they sent you. 

2e793e5b
Community Member

If you are looking to take a freelancer off Upwork and work with them directly, there are some steps you can follow to avoid violating Upwork's terms of service (TOS):

1. Non-Circumvention Policy: Upwork's non-circumvention policy prohibits clients from soliciting or hiring freelancers found on Upwork outside of the platform. This means you cannot hire a freelancer directly unless you pay Upwork's fee, which can be as high as 20% of the freelancer's earnings for the next two years. So, you should discuss the terms with the freelancer and make sure they understand that you are not trying to circumvent Upwork's policies.

2. Communication: You should communicate with your freelancer through Upwork's messaging system and make it clear that you want to take the work off the platform. You should also be transparent about the payment terms and make sure that you are not offering the freelancer better rates outside the platform.

3. Payment: Upwork requires all payments for work completed through the platform to be processed through their payment system. If you choose to work with your freelancer off the platform, you will need to arrange for payment directly. Make sure that you agree on the payment terms in advance and have a written agreement in place to avoid any misunderstandings.

4. Contract: If you have a contract with your freelancer through Upwork, you should review it carefully to make sure there are no provisions that prohibit you from working with the freelancer directly. You may need to terminate the contract through Upwork before starting to work with the freelancer independently.

In summary, it's important to be transparent and follow the rules to avoid violating Upwork's TOS. You should communicate with your freelancer through Upwork, agree on the payment terms, review your contract, and make sure that you are not circumventing Upwork's policies. If you have any doubts, it's always best to consult with Upwork's support team or a legal professional to ensure that you are not breaking any rules.

bobafett999
Community Member

You could have asked google !

6bfcdaf8
Community Member

I love how consequences of upworks actions show up immediately. 

Not sure why you think that. Many of us have been routinely moving off the platform at the two-year mark for many years. The only difference is that with the most recent TOS update, you have to go through the opt-out process even if it's already been two years.

First time i'm seeing someone mentioning going off platform in the forum, thats why 

I suspect that's because it's new that there's a procedure required to leave after two years.

I see, the 1 dollar fee. Before that you didnt even need to tell anyone?

devthemes
Community Member

Does it work now?

Mainul Islam
devthemes
Community Member

Hi there, Please check out my profile and start discussing your work. Upwork

Mainul Islam
Latest Articles
Learning Paths