🐈
» Forums » Clients » What should clients look for when hiring a fr...
Page options
eea6afa8
Community Member

Technical Writer vs Content Writer

Hello Experts,

Can someone please help me understand how are technical writers different from creative content writers?

I have an ecommerce website coming up and it needs product description writer and blog writer for technical products like gadgets, electronics, smartphones, video games, etc.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,

Pravin

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jr-translation
Community Member

I worked as techical writer for several years. My job was it to write user manuals, you know, these instruction that are shipped with everything and nobody will read because they are borring. And that it the key to the answer. You need a creative writer with technical understanding or two people, one for the creative and one for the technical part. Technical writers are the in some way translators between engineers and normal people.The thing is that a technical writer is not allowed to be creative unless he/she is asked to create a new layout. They have to stick to a very simple and plain language.

Technical writing is something else and refers to writing in a specific field that requires certain knowledge. It is not reduced to engineering.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jr-translation
Community Member

I worked as techical writer for several years. My job was it to write user manuals, you know, these instruction that are shipped with everything and nobody will read because they are borring. And that it the key to the answer. You need a creative writer with technical understanding or two people, one for the creative and one for the technical part. Technical writers are the in some way translators between engineers and normal people.The thing is that a technical writer is not allowed to be creative unless he/she is asked to create a new layout. They have to stick to a very simple and plain language.

Technical writing is something else and refers to writing in a specific field that requires certain knowledge. It is not reduced to engineering.

Thank you MIss Jennifer, this resolves my query.

alphazomgy
Community Member

Hey everyone and cheery forum lurkers,

I've been copywriting on Upwork for about 2 years now. 

I want to start technical writing.

Can any of you give me some insider tips on what to expect?

As a copywriter I know my copywriting clients care deepest about results (mainly increased sales).

What do technical writing clients care deepest about?

If anything, can you at least point me to a place that's better for me to ask this question?

Thanks! 

Hi Alexander,

Jennifer's advise about technical writing could be of help. Thanks.

~ Jo-An

Untitled
alphazomgy
Community Member

The title says it all.

(I'm asking because I'm interested in making the switch from copywriting to technical writing on Upwork!)

I'm totally lost here and in need of desperate help. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths