cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Freelancer is taking MUCH longer to START a job...

Al C Member Since: Aug 21, 2017
1 of 20

My first job posting as below:

Milestone 1: eBay Lister Listing Needed for A Quick Job - 10 Listings

Simple and technical skill for 10 eBay listings. 

This task requires, but not limited to: 
1. Optimizing words in title for each item. 
2. Resizing all pre-loaded photos to square shape. 
3. Research information on clothing item (name of style, color, ect.) for detail description. 
4. Complete each item with detailed description using sample template. 

Further details will be provided once freelancer is vetted and approved. Future job opportunities available as I am preparing for clean out my closet for the fall/winter seasons. Serious freelancers only. Paid at a fixed price. 

Thank you for your time.

Problem: I hired a freelancer for this job, which should take one, maybe two hours to completed. 48+ hours later, the job has yet to be initiated.

Saturday, 8/19/2017: the freelancer in Bangladesh reported this job would take 2-3 hours to completed and he "will complete these listing process far tomorrow." I hired him on Saturday morning. 

Sunday, 8/20/2017: I asked for an update since I can see all the listings have not been changed. he replied, "i will complete tomorrow because you know Sunday is holiday. i m doing work on your listing." I can understand that you don't work on Sundays but I'm thinking, why didn't you get the work done on Saturday when you know you don't work on Sundays?

Monday, 8/21/2017: I have been msg the freelancer for the past 5 hours and no replies and my 10 listings are still sitting there. this job was meant to be a trial of professional services and this freelancer has failed miseriably. 

What options do I have at this point?
Can i cancel the job and get my $10 back without dispute?
Wait for this job to complete, whenever that may be? 
Cancel job and lose $10 and chalk it up as lesson learned? 

Please advise on this situation.

I am new to Upwork and welcome recommendations/advice/tips on how to improve my communication and conduct to improve outcome. 

Upwork freelancers are supposed to save me time, not eat up more time Smiley Sad

Danjel Ç Member Since: Mar 3, 2017
2 of 20

My opinion cancel this job and you get back the money 100 % !  All freelancer shown provide the projects inside the timelines as i do alsways . Also provide to him bad feedback ... **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 20

If you want professional services of the type you describe then you'll have to pay professional rates and hire someone with native or near native English skills and the appropriate experience.

if you want to spend $ 10 you take your chances...

BTW, you didn't give that person access to your eBay account, did you?

4 of 20

Thanks for replying Petra R. 

I don't see the editting ebay listings (i.e. resizing photos, typing description of item according to template, ect.) as a job that requires professional, technical skills. I offered average $1/listing, which is above the rate for most "ebay listers" job posts. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

My intention was to outsource this tedious task to a reliable person. Alas, the search continues...

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 20

Al, the job may not require technical or professional skills, but given the list of tasks you provided for each listing, it appears that the pay rate for this job will be about $3/hour, if the freelancer is efficient and doesn't encounter any difficulties with any of the image files or locating any information. 

That type of rate isn't likely to draw many high-quality, responsible freelancers, even without the need for special skills. It's true that many jobs of this type are listed with similarly low rates, but expectations may also be low. And, this type of job is often designed for something other than getting listings created, such as tricking a freelancer into using his or her own account to post stolen items. Overall, it's not the type of job that is likely to draw a professional freelancer (by which I don't mean one with professional skills, but one with a professional approach to running his or her business, providing quality, managing client relationships, etc.)

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 20

@Al C wrote:

Thanks for replying Petra R. 

I don't see the editting ebay listings (i.e. resizing photos, typing description of item according to template, ect.) as a job that requires professional, technical skills. I offered average $1/listing,

You said you expected a professional job ... the work you describe, done RIGHT, (including research,) would take around 4 hours at least. How many professionals do you know who work for around $ 2 (factoring in fees) an hour?

Here's what your requirements were:

This task requires, but not limited to
1. Optimizing words in title for each item. 
2. Resizing all pre-loaded photos to square shape. 
3. Research information on clothing item (name of style, color, ect.) for detail description. 
4. Complete each item with detailed description using sample template. 

I have fixed many listings (usually Amazon rather than eBay) and I get paid around $ 35 - $ 40..... Per listing... (No, not fishing for work, I am booked out anyway)

7 of 20

Oops.. I clicked "Accepted" without knowing that it meant "Problem Solved." Newbie... smh

I still welcome recs/feedback/tips on this situation.

Thank you.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 20

Al:

Why in the world would you hire only one person for a project like this?

If you want the best results, hire MANY people to do a small amount of this work, and then stop working with all but the best.

If you hire only one person, how do you know you hired the best person for the job?? There's no way to know that.

I want you to succeed here on Upwork as a client. I want you to get the work done in a timely manner, with the quality you seek, at the best possible value.

But your current approach makes no sense.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 20

@Preston H wrote:

Al:

Why in the world would you hire only one person for a project like this?

If you want the best results, hire MANY people to do a small amount of this work, and then stop working with all but the best.

If you hire only one person, how do you know you hired the best person for the job?? There's no way to know that.

I want you to succeed here on Upwork as a client. I want you to get the work done in a timely manner, with the quality you seek, at the best possible value.

But your current approach makes no sense.

How exactly would you propose that someone hire multiple people to list the same items on ebay?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 20

re: "How exactly would you propose that someone hire multiple people to list the same items on ebay?"

Client has 300 items to list.

Client hires 5 freelancers using an hourly rate to list 5 items each.

After one work week, 2 freelancers never did anything, but offered excuses about why.

2 freelancers posted 5 items, and it took them 2 hours total.

2 freelancers posted 5 items, and it took them 1 hour total.

The ebay postings 1 of those freelancers look great and feature well-written descriptions.

The ebay postings of the other freelancer look sloppy and feature descriptions plagiarized from the Internet.

The client closes the contracts on 4 of the freelancers and continues working only with the one who provides quality work at the best value.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS