Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

The Freelancer is taking MUCH longer to START a job...

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 20

@Preston H wrote:

re: "How exactly would you propose that someone hire multiple people to list the same items on ebay?"

 

Client has 300 items to list.

 

Client hires 5 freelancers using an hourly rate to list 5 items each.

 

After one work week, 2 freelancers never did anything, but offered excuses about why.

 

2 freelancers posted 5 items, and it took them 2 hours total.

 

2 freelancers posted 5 items, and it took them 1 hour total.

 

The ebay postings 1 of those freelancers look great and feature well-written descriptions.

 

The ebay postings of the other freelancer look sloppy and feature descriptions plagiarized from the Internet.

 

The client closes the contracts on 4 of the freelancers and continues working only with the one who provides quality work at the best value.


 Preston - honestly, this is completely absurd.

 

The OP is listing preowned clothing items. 10 of them.

 

This blanket "Oh, just hire 5 freelancers for everything" mantra is fine for some jobs, but it is simply ludicrous to preach it as a solution for everything.

 

If the OP hired 5 freelancers on an hourly basis to list those 10 items, by the time she hired and checked and paid them all it would be cheaper if she took the stuff down to the local charity shop.

 

 

Active Member
Al C Member Since: Aug 21, 2017
12 of 20

Thanks to everyone's helpful feedback. Moral of the story, you get what you pay for.

 

The situation has since resolved as the freelancer reported that he has "suffer some domestic issues . my wife is very critical condition" and that I "can hire another person. "

 

Thanks for everyone's input and time. 

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
13 of 20

@Al C wrote:

Thanks to everyone's helpful feedback. Moral of the story, you get what you pay for.

 

The situation has since resolved as the freelancer reported that he has "suffer some domestic issues . my wife is very critical condition" and that I "can hire another person. "

 

Thanks for everyone's input and time. 


 Cat LOL Cat LOL

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 20

I wish you well, Al.

 

There are three countries I can think of off the top of my head where we often see reports of clients having problems with getting freelancers to submit work on time, or at all. And we always hear the same excuses about relatives in the hospital. I don't buy it at all.

 

What's even more annoying is when the freelancers ask their clients to pay some money up front (before the client receives any work) to pay for the relative's hospital bills.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 20

@Preston H wrote:

I wish you well, Al.

 

There are three countries I can think of off the top of my head where we often see reports of clients having problems with getting freelancers to submit work on time, or at all. And we always hear the same excuses about relatives in the hospital. I don't buy it at all.

 

What's even more annoying is when the freelancers ask their clients to pay some money up front (before the client receives any work) to pay for the relative's hospital bills.


 and the fraud profiles

the frauds aren't coming from the US or Euro. That's for sure

Active Member
Al C Member Since: Aug 21, 2017
16 of 20

As a new client on Upwork but not new to oursourcing tasks, I am not oblivious to potential risks and possible fraudulents operating in the dark (though sometimes in broad daylight). I didn't expect I would be this lucky to be one-for-one on getting tangled up with questionable freelancers. 

 

The frustrating aspect was that I had invited this freelancer because he was the first one the search result on Upwork. Smiley Frustrated 

 

My faith in Upwork, however, has not been lost despite this misstep. I'm certain with some persistence and careful vetting I will find the suitable person for the jobs in the process. 

 

Thanks again, everyone!

 

 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
17 of 20

@Al C wrote:

 

The frustrating aspect was that I had invited this freelancer because he was the first one the search result on Upwork. Smiley Frustrated 

 

 


 Upwork intentionally rotates search results--possibly this should be made clearer to clients who are searching for freelancers.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
18 of 20

@Al C wrote:

Thanks to everyone's helpful feedback. Moral of the story, you get what you pay for.


 Absolutely Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
19 of 20

@Al C wrote:

Thanks to everyone's helpful feedback. Moral of the story, you get what you pay for.

 

The situation has since resolved as the freelancer reported that he has "suffer some domestic issues . my wife is very critical condition" and that I "can hire another person. "

 

Thanks for everyone's input and time. 


 lol and the cycle of the $3/hour freelancer continues

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
20 of 20

This is a bit OT, but I just did a freelancer search using keyword ebay, and the same freelancer shows up on both pages 1 & 2 of the results, and no, she doesn't have a duplicate profile, it's the same profile each time. It's one thing to shuffle the results, but this is more like stacking the deck. Cat Tongue

 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

__________________________________________________
"No good deed goes unpunished." -- Clare Boothe Luce
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS