🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: The contractor I have hired in Upwork sto...
Page options
malpman
Community Member

The contractor I have hired in Upwork stole my code

I have hired a contractor at the nd of 2018 to help me to implement a feature in my project. I gave him full access in Github to my private repository. Today by just chance I saw that he copied my whole repository and put it in a public repository in Github under his name. This is theft! I could not find a way to report this to Github. Is there any email for this kind of abuse? I have already reported this to Github.

7 REPLIES 7
2a05aa63
Community Member

You can contact the upwork support. I've seen people getting banned when they'd do this stuff.

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Murat,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. I shared your concern with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

They reached me out and I showed them clear evidence that my code was stolen and put in a public directory deliberately by this criminal. Upwork agreed with me but did not even remove this criminal's account. He most probably stole other client;s private code and published in public domain, too. Upwork is acting exteremely irresponsible, since this guy will do the same thing to his other clients in the future.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Murat, 

I checked the case and can confirm that they have taken action against the user's account as they deem fit. The code has also been removed as requested. If you need further help about your concern, feel free to update the same ticket thread so that the team can assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork
varungs
Community Member

Since he has already made your work public, I would recommend changing the visibility of your private repo to public as well. All of the past commits will show up with their respective dates. People will be able to see that he directly stole your work, since your repo will be identical to his but older.

leogodin217
Community Member

You've probably already done this, but did you contact the freelancer? It could be a case of inexperience. Maybe the intention was branch the repo, then merge changes. 

Just want to make sure you take that first step and request that the freelancer delete the repo. 

It is not the case. My contract ended with him in November 2018 but he created this repo in February 2019.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths