🐈
» Forums » Clients » There was a problem charging billing method
Page options
annisa_sarah
Community Member

There was a problem charging billing method

Hi,

This is my second time hiring from Upwork. For the first time, I used Mastercard debitcard. There was no problem at all. But now I can't hire the freelancer and there is notification says 'There was a problem charging your billing method. Please enter a new billing method and try again'. I've tried to remove my billing method and re-add it many times but still didn't work. I also have contacted Upwork help team and the response was:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I've checked all the information, try and try....the problem still occurs. I also replied to the Upwork team's email since 4 hours ago and there is no further response. It really makes me stressed because I need the work done by tomorrow and I've found the right candidate for this job.

What should I do?

7 REPLIES 7
florydev
Community Member

Annisa S wrote:

Hi,

This is my second time hiring from Upwork. For the first time, I used Mastercard debitcard. There was no problem at all. But now I can't hire the freelancer and there is notification says 'There was a problem charging your billing method. Please enter a new billing method and try again'. I've tried to remove my billing method and re-add it many times but still didn't work. I also have contacted Upwork help team and the response was:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I've checked all the information, try and try....the problem still occurs. I also replied to the Upwork team's email since 4 hours ago and there is no further response. It really makes me stressed because I need the work done by tomorrow and I've found the right candidate for this job.

What should I do?

I don't know why you didn't get an answer.  Did you submit a support ticket?

prestonhunter
Community Member

Annisa:

You described the card you used as a "debit card", rather than a credit card.

You may wish to carefully read Upwork's "Billing Methods" page and consider whether the problem lies with the TYPE of card you are using:

Billing Methods

Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 6.16.54 PM.png

I use a debit card for both my freelancer and client account and it works just fine.

Maybe Annisa is using something different than I am since she is in a different country but overall I use "debit" cards all the time instead of credit cards.

Yes, I use debit card for freelancer account and I've ever used it once to hire on previous job. It was fine at all. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Annisa, 

I checked your account, and can see that the team has reached out to you through Ticket# 26457135. Kindly refer to the team's recommendation to help you resolve this issue. If the issue persists, please update the same ticket thread so that it can be investigated further. 

As a gentle reminder, please refrain from lodging new tickets with our Customer Support Team so that they can assist you more efficiently. 

~ Avery
Upwork
8299679c
Community Member

I also have the same problems, I use Visa card and my card get declined again and again. What should I do

Hi Sa'Diyatul, 

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it looks like the charge on your credit card keeps getting declined. Please make sure your card is set up to make international payments and has sufficient funds on it to complete the funding.

Please contact your card-issuing bank to confirm if they allow recurring transactions on your debit cards as Upwork payments are classified as ‘recurring’.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths