cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Techno Neanderthal Needs your Help

David G Member Since: Jun 19, 2018
21 of 23

Martina:

I don't want to prematurely exclude most of the people on this globe, but it occurred to me that creating videos (I have decided to do that first) might require the sort of hands on work in which someone would make a housecall to my residence.  Making videos may require installing hardware and configuring software, fabricating a background, creating the proper lighting, etc. etc. etc.  Actually, I was thinking of limiting freelancers to New York City, where I live, and its environs.   

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
22 of 23

David: I hired people to help me create videos, including the introduction video that is featured on my Upwork profile page.

Obviously I had to hire somebody local. In my own town. Because I'm in the video, along with local talent.

As a client, most of my job posts are open to any freelancer anywhere. But not all.

There's nothing wrong with limiting your hiring to local people and there are many good reasons for doing so.

Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
23 of 23

David G wrote:

1)Where can I find a button or icon to click to send the freelancer a message.

2) I have only gotten 1 response.  Please give me constructive criticism, tell me why my ad might dissuade people from applying, tell me if I make assertions which are off-putting or disturbing.

1) On Upwork, there is no button to directly message a freelancer until they've accepted your invitation. This is how Upwork is designed, to limit spam for freelancers.

2) Historically, overly long job posts tend to attract fewer applicants. While clients are encouraged to create meaningful job posts, Upwork has never encouraged clients to ramble in the Job description section. Your job post should be as short as it can be.

When a job post is overly long, it sends a message (probably unwittingly), that the client will be too demanding and difficult to work with. Try condensing to 160 characters and reposting and see whether magic does not happen on that same job post.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS